Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Williams (WA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two interesting things I notice from the photos posted and the Tesla site details:

1) It appears to be a single v3 power-conversion cabinet. Normally there is more than one cabinet to provide some redundancy, in case one cabinet goes out.
2) There are only 3 stalls. A v3 cabinet can supply 250kW to each of 4 stalls.

Is the stall count only 3 due to a) space, b) power-grid capacity or c) an attempt to reduce the cabinet's peak workload and so make it more reliable?

Two interesting things I notice from the photos posted and the Tesla site details:

1) It appears to be a single v3 power-conversion cabinet. Normally there is more than one cabinet to provide some redundancy, in case one cabinet goes out.
2) There are only 3 stalls. A v3 cabinet can supply 250kW to each of 4 stalls.

Is the stall count only 3 due to a) space, b) power-grid capacity or c) an attempt to reduce the cabinet's peak workload and so make it more reliable?
I'm guessing by your post history that you're in Washington state (USA) and not Western Australia? :)

3 stalls per cabinet appears to be the standard for many regions which have only started receiving V3 in the last six months. All sites in Australia are like this (either 1 cabinet/3 stall or 2 cabinet/6 stall). A lot of the newer ones in China are 3 stall per cabinet (with higher numbers of stalls such as 15 or 21 - but always multiples of 3).

There's another thread somewhere which shows the technical specification plates of the cabinets - all other statistics are identical apart from the 3-output/4-output label. I'll try to find it and link it.

In both cases - the cabinets aren't capable of 250 kW per stall simultaneously - they share power just like V2s except it's across the entire site, so not noticeable to the car owner, and it makes identifying shared stalls no longer necessary.

Reactions: floatplane
Is the stall count only 3 due to a) space, b) power-grid capacity or
Should be noted this is a fairly remote charger in a sparsely populated part of Australia:

Williams is a small rural community with a total population of 1040 and an estimated 400 living in the Williams townsite. The Shire covers 2,295 km².

For US reference - that's about the size of Delaware.

Reactions: floatplane
I'm guessing by your post history that you're in Washington state (USA) and not Western Australia? :)

3 stalls per cabinet appears to be the standard for many regions which have only started receiving V3 in the last six months. All sites in Australia are like this (either 1 cabinet/3 stall or 2 cabinet/6 stall). A lot of the newer ones in China are 3 stall per cabinet (with higher numbers of stalls such as 15 or 21 - but always multiples of 3).
Yes, I'm in the other "WA". Here we also talk about "the other Washington", meaning Washington DC, as people confuse us with that infamous city.

Thanks for the technical details. Maybe its something to do with the voltages/power ratings available from the electric utility for your region, meaning the v3 cabinet can't produce enough DC power for 4 stalls from the AC voltage available, so is limited to 3 stalls. I'd personally almost prefer 2 v2 cabinets to provide some redundancy as the repair time must be quite long for the technician to get to Williams. Maybe you have other CCS-based charging options around, but in this WA (and all of North America) we can't use CCS chargers, so lack of redundancy of the Tesla equipment could ruin your day.

Glad to see this supercharger at Williams WA now online. I hope to use it some day.

Reactions: Hovean and Hairyman
Should be noted this is a fairly remote charger in a sparsely populated part of Australia:

Williams is a small rural community with a total population of 1040 and an estimated 400 living in the Williams townsite. The Shire covers 2,295 km².
Not to cast any shade on the good citizens of Williams, Western Australia but I'm pretty sure the intention of this charger is to service those travelling the 413km between Perth and Albany.