Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winthrop, WA (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are thoughts about a supercharger in Winthrop, on the North Cascades Highway (NC Loop)? It's about 130 miles from the Burlington SC with a long pull up and over the mountains. About 115 miles to the Leavenworth SC. Would it make you more likely to do the drive or visit the Methow Valley? Tesla has one marked for Chelan but it seems to be stalled and would only be 55 miles from Leavenworth.

Winthrop is a bit single purpose - it's off the main route to Canada. I am thinking Pateros or Okanogan is a better option. Junction of two routes, gets enough to get over the mountains, even in an SR I wager (though quite close there, charge to 100), not quite optimal from Leavenworth. Pateros is just about perfect from Osoyoos.

What are thoughts about a supercharger in Winthrop, on the North Cascades Highway (NC Loop)? It's about 130 miles from the Burlington SC with a long pull up and over the mountains. About 115 miles to the Leavenworth SC. Would it make you more likely to do the drive or visit the Methow Valley? Tesla has one marked for Chelan but it seems to be stalled and would only be 55 miles from Leavenworth.
Yes, this would be great! I’ve submitted Winthrop as a recommended Supercharger location to Tesla. I know slower chargers exist in the area, but even a smaller (~6 stall) Supercharger would be great. Any update on potential consideration by Tesla?

I'd love for something to be put into Newhalem. There are a couple of level 2 chargers, but even a 50kW Chademo station there would make the cascades loop much easier (with adapter)

As far as Tesla-specific chargers, something around Rockport would also really open up some lovely drives.

Reactions: ijoe13
I think a supercharger is totally on brand with the outdoor recreation and tourism community of Winthrop - and Tesla. I've heard weekend renters complain "we had to take our Subaru because there's no good charging in the valley".

Newhalems makes great sense to - especially given the dam and that that town is basically owned by Seattle City Light.

Reactions: bruce4000
Okanogan has a pin on the Find Us map with a target opening date of 2023 (the pin for Chelan is gone). Considering this, it's unlikely that Winthrop will happen anytime soon. I can't think of a very good place to put a Supercharger in Winthrop aside from the visitor's center / ranger station, which doesn't have a great location for exploring the town while charging.

Just spent 4 days in the Methow. I offer a possible 'insider' update. My BIL overheard that a site being considered at "The Barn" was nixed because the land was deeded to the town by an estate that dictates -- "All uses must be open to the general public" -- which eliminates special access like Teslas.

I discovered another potential site during my visit. There is a large empty site just North of Blue Star Coffee Roasters in Twisp (~7 miles S of Winthrop) that seems ideal. I don't know who can pass this on since the RIF, so if anyone has a contact... Blue Star Coffee Roasters | Twisp, Washington

BTW, we stayed at a newly opened resort that has multiple L2 (J1772) chargers under the cabin carports. Our S pulled down 40 amps which was more than enough for our local travels, plus enough to get back to the Burlington SuC. Contact Sierra or Michael at Sunflower Resort | Methow Valley Pet-Friendly Cabin Rentals | Winthrop, WA and tell 'em Ron sentcha ;^). A couple of wonderful people who are anxious to get their business rolling. We're working on a full review...

Also, the 'free' chargers at Newhalem have been replaced by new CCS cabinets that aren't activated yet.

Last edited:
There are plenty of large lots around Winthrop/twisp. Getting power there in a reasonable way are the issue. If it happens, more than likely it’ll be a smaller site with 8 stalls which can fit in a lot of places that already have available power nearby. As I said 3 years ago, Winthrop SC is not any nearer 😞

Just a heads up that the level 2 chargers in Newhalem absolutely rip! My old dual charger S pulled 69 amps for a toasty 45mph of charging on AC. It was a nice buffer knowing that it wouldn't be too too bad to sit there and top off on the way back through the valley.

There are also 50kw CCS/ChaDaMo chargers installed but not yet activated at Newhalem: Skagit General Store (Coming Soon) | Rockport, WA | EV Station
Twisp also is listed as coming soon on the EVCS website, but those chargers aren't in the ground yet: Twisp Works (2) (Coming Soon) | Twisp, WA | EV Station

There was also a Rivian Adventure Network L2 charger installed in Winthrop but it seems to have been stuck for over a year without being activated.

Just spent 4 days in the Methow. I offer a possible 'insider' update. My BIL overheard that a site being considered at "The Barn" was nixed because the land was deeded to the town by an estate that dictates -- "All uses must be open to the general public" -- which eliminates special access like Teslas.

I discovered another potential site during my visit. There is a large empty site just North of Blue Star Coffee Roasters in Twisp (~7 miles S of Winthrop) that seems ideal. I don't know who can pass this on since the RIF, so if anyone has a contact... Blue Star Coffee Roasters | Twisp, Washington

BTW, we stayed at a newly opened resort that has multiple L2 (J1772) chargers under the cabin carports. Our S pulled down 40 amps which was more than enough for our local travels, plus enough to get back to the Burlington SuC. Contact Sierra or Michael at Sunflower Resort | Methow Valley Pet-Friendly Cabin Rentals | Winthrop, WA and tell 'em Ron sentcha ;^). A couple of wonderful people who are anxious to get their business rolling. We're working on a full review...

Also, the 'free' chargers at Newhalem have been replaced by new CCS cabinets that aren't activated yet.
Now that NACS is essentially open source and many government findings require open to the public, Tesla superchargers can fit this requirement. Sounds like it should be revisited. If there is a new team to handle it…

• Helpful
Reactions: LuckyManX
Winthrop is a bit single purpose - it's off the main route to Canada. I am thinking Pateros or Okanogan is a better option. Junction of two routes, gets enough to get over the mountains, even in an SR I wager (though quite close there, charge to 100), not quite optimal from Leavenworth. Pateros is just about perfect from Osoyoos.n is awful from Osoyoos, imo. We make that drive a lot! Omak would be MUCH better as it would serve those both heading east and west.

Winthrop is a bit single purpose - it's off the main route to Canada. I am thinking Pateros or Okanogan is a better option. Junction of two routes, gets enough to get over the mountains, even in an SR I wager (though quite close there, charge to 100), not quite optimal from Leavenworth. Pateros is just about perfect from Osoyoos.
Pateros is awful from Osoyoos, imo. We make that drive a lot! Omak would be MUCH better as it would serve those both heading east and west. As it is, it requires a near 100% charge to get to Spokane from Osoyoos, which takes forever.

• Informative
Reactions: LuckyManX