Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only hope in the near term is that Vacaville is finished. That would require a slight detour off I-5 down I-80, then back to I-5 in Stockton. It's currently under construction, as you can see above. Vacaville to Harris Ranch should be doable if you have a MS85. I go from Napa to Harris Ranch, no problem.
Eh.... I assume you mean to send him back to I5 in Stockton via Cal 12, which is what I also recommend, however, it would be much more logical to take I-505 to vacaville instead of 80... Definitely probably better than going way out of the way to Folsom.

the other option rather than cutting back to Stockton to get to harris ranch is to go west on 80 from vacaville the take 680 in fairfield to 580. This will bring you back to 5.

my gps basically tells me that to get from my house in vacaville to going south on 5 it is nearly equivalent to take 80 up to sacramento or the 680/580 detour. I personally believe that 12 is the way to go though, especially if its anywhere near rush hour.

The benefit of the 580 method is that it gives you a quick out to the Fremont supercharger at the factory if you realize you want/need more juice.

as for the dot n the map, it's not vacaville as that shows up later in the proposed timeline as a separate dot. It is probably dunnigan at the 5/505 interchange. When that location, vacaville, and Manteca (and possibly roseville or rocklin) are in, you'll be able to have a ton of options around here.

Corning to Manteca at 175 miles, might also work without getting to far off the 5.

Unfortunately, Manteca is also labeled Fall 2013, and I don't think they started there yet. My hopes for a Manteca SC in time for a Holiday drive up to Kirkwood are fading fast.

I drove by Manteca again today and checked the shopping centers at all three of what I think are possible exits for SC locations, and also stopped at the two Lathrop exits and searched and there is still no signs of progress on anything, so a holiday trip looks like it will need another charging stop somewhere. One possible stop at Santa Nella is an RV park with 50 amp service that a lot of Roadster drivers use. Not a supercharger, but its about as good as it gets along I5. Perhaps a stop at an RV park somewhere on the way up to kirkwood. Might look in the Roadster thread section to find out what they use for a quick charge.

I drove by Manteca again today and checked the shopping centers at all three of what I think are possible exits for SC locations, and also stopped at the two Lathrop exits and searched and there is still no signs of progress on anything, so a holiday trip looks like it will need another charging stop somewhere. One possible stop at Santa Nella is an RV park with 50 amp service that a lot of Roadster drivers use. Not a supercharger, but its about as good as it gets along I5. Perhaps a stop at an RV park somewhere on the way up to kirkwood. Might look in the Roadster thread section to find out what they use for a quick charge.

Thanks for checking Manteca.

Going up to the Folsom and back down looks like it will only add about 1 hour to the trip, so I'll likely do that. Even with the extra hour driving, it's probably the fastest way to charge.

Vacaville. DSuber and I must have been there within a few minutes of each other today based on his tm.com pics, haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 662
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 654
Since we wouldn't want to go a whole day without some new photos of Vacaville, here it is as of 12:25 this afternoon. It looks like they've been working on the cinder block enclosure and they had opened a Tesla crate which I suppose contains the charger shells. The crew was not on site when I was there. The contractor is Wachter Construction.

IMG_0610 - Shrunk.JPG
IMG_0613 - Shrunk.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Has anyone commented on the SC map and the fact that you won't be able to do a run from Folsom to the first Nevada Sc past Reno ~ 200 miles uphill
then from the next SC to Utah look like also 200 miles, not doable at standard speeds out there!

Shouldn't Reno have an SC maybe?

I agree. The new Superchargers map will make travel from San Francisco Bay area to Salt Lake City nearly impossible for a 60 kWh Model S and a slow and careful drive for the 85 kWh Model S. I can't believe they have such a huge gap after Folsom. I have driven to South Lake Tahoe on Hwy 50 and my 200 miles of range from Folsom went to 80 miles by the time I got there. It seems unlikely I could make it well past Reno based on the current Supercharger map.

Also it looks like they have permanently killed US-395 for trips to Mammoth for the ski season. Which would seem to be a Model X destination for the SoCal folks.

Also it looks like they have permanently killed US-395 for trips to Mammoth for the ski season. Which would seem to be a Model X destination for the SoCal folks.

I had emailed Tesla yesterday about the omission of the 395 Superchargers. They replied very quickly with an email explaining that the 395 dots were accidentally left off the map and that Ridgecrest and Bishop would receive chargers. At this time, I am working with a very nice, small motel in Independence to install a couple of 14-50 for the use by over-nighters. I spend a fair amount of time in the Owens Valley so I am paying a few hundred dollars in advance for the install. I will then be credited that amount for overnights at the motel as I need them. It's Ray's Den : Rays Den Motel (Independence, CA) - Motel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Has anyone commented on the SC map and the fact that you won't be able to do a run from Folsom to the first Nevada Sc past Reno ~ 200 miles uphill
then from the next SC to Utah look like also 200 miles, not doable at standard speeds out there!

I wouldn't take Tesla's future dots (particularly 2014-2015) too seriously. They have fixed errors like wide spacing and shifted locations around in locations built this year, so one would expect they will fix the map going forward too. There's certainly no harm in sending them suggestions on where to improve their future network, though.

There have been a lot of unconfirmed reports that a SC is going in near Auburn or Roseville on I-80 to help fill the gap. And as has been discussed in numerous other posts the past two days, the new map has a number of missing stations that Tesla has said are still in the plan. Given how responsive Tesla has been, I would fully expect there to be another SC along I-80 that would give 60s a chance to reach the summit and make it down the hill into Reno or thereabouts.

There have been a lot of unconfirmed reports that a SC is going in near Auburn or Roseville on I-80 to help fill the gap. And as has been discussed in numerous other posts the past two days, the new map has a number of missing stations that Tesla has said are still in the plan. Given how responsive Tesla has been, I would fully expect there to be another SC along I-80 that would give 60s a chance to reach the summit and make it down the hill into Reno or thereabouts.

At the SF event to celebrate the completion of the West Coast SC network the Tesla person in charge specifically said there will be Vacaville and Roseville Superchargers soon.

Coverage on I-80 across Nevada is extremely sparse. My vote would be for a Supercharger in the Truckee area. This would also provide destination Charging for Tahoe and ski areas. In addition, it would be a first step to making 395 to Mammoth Lakes possible. Another SC on 395 at Tioga Road, Whoa Nellie Delli is a great food stop, would fill in the 395 corridor to the North and make a loop through Yosemite possible.