Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No signs at any of the sites visited, but I did see lots of activity at the old Mopar distribution center that Tesla purchased. The site has been empty for years now, but today I saw a dozen or so cars in the lot and you can see all the lights on inside the warehouse. There was some light construction visible on the north side of the building. Looked like they were modifying a doorway or something (can't see very well from the west side front of the building). I thought there might be some supercharger construction there. Not a great site for superchargers since it is too far to walk to anything. You'd be just stuck sitting in your car if they used this site, but I thought I'd look anyway. I had a friend who worked there, so its nice to see it getting back to use.

Drove past the Tesla machine shop in Lathrop again on Monday this week. Definitely doing some electrical work. They have a trench all the way across the lot into the building. It may or may not be supercharger related. Since Daimler only used the building as a warehouse, and Tesla is going to use it as a machine shop, it likely needs a power upgrade to feed all the machines. Warehouse only has minimal lighting required, not task lighting and machine powering. I'll have to keep an eye on the construction to see if it is also going to be a Supercharger installation. Right now it could be just building power, or both.

20140521-204513-74713988.jpg

20140521-204515-74715089.jpg

20140521-204512-74712086.jpg

Now that Manteca is confirmed, I have heard that Truckee is a for sure. Not sure of location yet. Also Petaluma looks like your wine country jumping off point. As far as location goes there is a Premium outlets that has level 1 and 2 charging and Tesla has a relationship with Premium outlets. However there is a new shopping center on East Washington with a little more in the way of eating choices so that may be more appealing. Also has better freeway access....although traffic is always a mess there. So probably one of those two.

Are we sure that the location you scoped out has been "confirmed"? Doesn't appear to be anything confirmed with respect to the Manteca Superchargers.

I drove north past the Lathrop site again on Friday and it did not look like much progress since my last visit, so no update, but today I drove back south past the site and got a quick shot of the large PG&E crew working on the site. It looks like I'll be able to see a bit more progress and perhaps a footprint of what is getting installed when I head back north on Friday or Saturday. I also saw a car carrier full of new cars headed south on I-5 as well as two cars charging at Harris Ranch. Seems that white is a popular color right now.

20140603-220732-79652755.jpg

20140603-220734-79654602.jpg

20140603-220736-79656785.jpg

That seems like a very big PG&E crew just to put in Superchargers, and it is inconsistent with the reports that Superchargers would be put in Manteca in a mall there. But perhaps Tesla will put in a couple of Supercharger bays in a publicly accessible area of the Lathrop facility for good measure especially if the Manteca sight is not going to be up and running any time soon.

The construction going on in Lathrop is more than likely to bring more power to the new Tesla factory going in there. It was previously a distribution warehouse and probably doesn't have the "juice" for a machine shop/manufacturing they will be doing there. The Superchargers are definitely going by the Bass Pro shop.

The construction going on in Lathrop is more than likely to bring more power to the new Tesla factory going in there. It was previously a distribution warehouse and probably doesn't have the "juice" for a machine shop/manufacturing they will be doing there. The Superchargers are definitely going by the Bass Pro shop.

Thanks, I agree. Please do let us know if you have any update on when construction of the Superchargers near the Bass Pro Shop is expected to commence.

OK, I drove through Manteca again today. No signs of construction at the 4 major intersections that I checked. I also stopped in at the Lathrop machine shop and all the electrical service work is complete and it is definitely not going to be a supercharger site. All the transformers and electrical cabinets are installed and the ground has been covered backup and the asphalt patched. Project looks complete and no pads or anything left indicating more equipment for supercharger station. So we can put to bed the Lathrop site as a potential site, and I'm back to just looking at the other better suited locations in the Manteca/Lathrop area.

OK, I drove through Manteca again today. No signs of construction at the 4 major intersections that I checked. I also stopped in at the Lathrop machine shop and all the electrical service work is complete and it is definitely not going to be a supercharger site. All the transformers and electrical cabinets are installed and the ground has been covered backup and the asphalt patched. Project looks complete and no pads or anything left indicating more equipment for supercharger station. So we can put to bed the Lathrop site as a potential site, and I'm back to just looking at the other better suited locations in the Manteca/Lathrop area.

i suspect here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 354
Dang, we need one there. It was no fun going 60 mph on I-5 between Harris Ranch and Vacaville. You could get mowed down by a tomato truck. And i have a blue car. Did arrive at Vacaville with 27 miles range , tho. Just to let the fearful know.

I asked if they knew where in Los Angeles the next charger was going in, he had no idea. The man I was talking to said the next Supercharger he is working on is "somewhere north of San Francisco".

From the Oxnard SC thread, looks like the first inkling of real progress for an SC on 101 north of SF.

On a slightly different note, went from Los Altos to Mendocino last weekend. Was able to charge at a personal HPWC in Petaluma listed on Plug Share on the way up! The owner was great! Happy to help and very welcoming. Stayed at Stanford Inn by the Sea. They have L2 chargers!
This trip can be done on a single charge in an S85, but doing it on the way up is nerve wracking! There are simply no chargers for the last 30 plus miles! On the way back, there are chargers all over the place so no big deal. Made it home once on a single charge with about 20 miles to spare.

From the Oxnard SC thread, looks like the first inkling of real progress for an SC on 101 north of SF.

On a slightly different note, went from Los Altos to Mendocino last weekend. Was able to charge at a personal HPWC in Petaluma listed on Plug Share on the way up! The owner was great! Happy to help and very welcoming. Stayed at Stanford Inn by the Sea. They have L2 chargers!
This trip can be done on a single charge in an S85, but doing it on the way up is nerve wracking! There are simply no chargers for the last 30 plus miles! On the way back, there are chargers all over the place so no big deal. Made it home once on a single charge with about 20 miles to spare.

That new Supercharger will probably be in Petaluma...keep your eyes open looking for it.

That new Supercharger will probably be in Petaluma...keep your eyes open looking for it.

I think it will be significantly north of Santa Rosa. Petaluma is too close to the SF peninsula. Keep in mind that Bay Area owners will start a trip north on the 101 with a full charge done at home, and road trippers coming up the 101 from points south can charge in Fremont.

Fremont to Petaluma is only 69 miles. Why put an SC there?

Fremont to Ukiah is 145 miles, or Fremont to Willits is 167 miles. That would make more sense. And charging at either of those two locations would easily take you to Eureka. Find a destination with a 240V plug in Eureka and you can get back to the a Bay Area easily.

I would be thrilled if they put one in Healdsburg. I doubt it will happen, but Healdsburg seems like a good place as it's a good distance north of the Bay Area but within reach by a 60, plenty to do in town while charging, and not close enough to Petaluma and Santa Rosa to be used like a gas station. It would also make long daytrips from the south Bay Area to Wine Country much easier for all MS.

NorCal Supercharger locations?

Fremont is off route for folks traveling up 101.

It's not off route for those going north on the 101 who want to go straight through the Bay Area up to Marin or farther north. And if they want to go to SF it's easy to take the 880 through Fremont and then across the Bay Bridge to SF.

An SC at Healdsburg is only about 100 miles from Fremont but then it is over 200 miles to Eureka.