Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard of anything about superchargers in Mountain View? I know Solar City HQ in San Carlos was brought up but I have heard rumblings about Mt View. Have no idea where they would put something. Maybe Google is putting some at HQ for employees? Hopefully Tesla will go wild in the Bay Area like they are doing in the LA area.

Has anyone heard of anything about superchargers in Mountain View? I know Solar City HQ in San Carlos was brought up but I have heard rumblings about Mt View.

Source? Is there a Deep Throat inside Tesla? ;-)

Note: Solar City HQ is in San Mateo. I live nearby and have checked out their parking lot, and am very doubtful that an SC will be placed there. The lot is packed during the day with employee parking from multiple companies that are located in that office building complex.

NorCal Supercharger locations?

Do you mean the Vallco Mall on Wolfe Road at the 280? I had not heard anything about that being a possible SC site. Source?

Or maybe I am misunderstanding your post...

UPDATE: I was responding to a post in this thread but now I don't see it anymore. I tried to quote it in my post but it wouldn't quote. I guess it got deleted.

Do you mean the Vallco Mall on Wolfe Road at the 280? I had not heard anything about that being a possible SC site. Source?

Or maybe I am misunderstanding your post...

UPDATE: I was responding to a post in this thread but now I don't see it anymore. I tried to quote it in my post but it wouldn't quote. I guess it got deleted.

Sorry ,

I had said Valco was pretty much 'dead' the last time I was around there and that might be a low traffic area for an SC
but like you said it isn't off of 85, closer to 280

no knowledge of any plans just thinking of 'not crowded' Bay Area areas.

A little investigating on Napa. A company called Allied Clean Fuels Terminal is going in by the airport. The American Canyon Eagle says it will have charging stations in addition to other alternative fueling stations. Might be worth investigating by someone up there.

I'm laughing a little! Remember when Elon visited Apple? Well, the new Apple building is at 280 and Wolfe.. just in the other direction from Valco on Wolfe. Maybe there is going to be a supercharger at the new circular Apple building that is under construction? It would probably be for Apple employees/visitors etc. but, all the hype about Valco/280 area got me thinking.
Hummmm..... :confused::rolleyes:

Stopped by Petaluma today and not much progress, they compacted some gravel over the mud. Could not see much in side the equipment enclosure, looks like everything is there and ready to be connected. The weather has not been helpful so we will see when this SC comes on line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 673
I will stick with 101 for Mt View. There is a shopping area off Rengstorff. A Cinemark theatres off Shoreline and a Museum off Shoreline. Not much else with public parking right off 101.

maybe just north of the Starbucks, across the street from Century theater in Google land? or at the computer history museum could be cool

I assume it is wet in Petaluma today? wondering if there is any chance it will be up on the 24th

Can anyone explain why, according to the supercharger.info site, a supercharger appears to be under construction in Rocklin, CA just a stone's throw away from the Roseville SC (and also not far from Folsom)?

Also, the way I would normally travel from Marin or the East Bay down to LA would be over I-580 to I-5, i.e., all interstate highways. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to do that using the existing and planned superchargers. I would need to go over some two-lane roads such as highway 162. Any rumors about Livermore or someplace else on I-580 or perhaps where 580 and 5 connect?

Can anyone explain why, according to the supercharger.info site, a supercharger appears to be under construction in Rocklin, CA just a stone's throw away from the Roseville SC (and also not far from Folsom)?

Also, the way I would normally travel from Marin or the East Bay down to LA would be over I-580 to I-5, i.e., all interstate highways. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to do that using the existing and planned superchargers. I would need to go over some two-lane roads such as highway 162. Any rumors about Livermore or someplace else on I-580 or perhaps where 580 and 5 connect?

Douglas, highway 162 is a rare split highway in California with a western origination near Longvale and peters out a little east of Covelo in Round Valley. It then resumes about 35 miles west of Willows and proceeds eastward to Oroville and ends just east of Lake Oroville. So, it is unclear just which highway you mean. Until they complete a Supercharger in the Livermore/Pleasanton area, you could just take the Richmond Bridge to the Nimitz Freeway to US101 and charge in Gilroy before heading on south to LA.

A quick use of EVTripplanner indicates that from San Rafael to Harris Ranch directly would use about 69 kWh. Might be a little tight (or impossible in a 60.) But it is doable if you watch your speed and accelleration.

The new TM Supercharger "Coming Soon" page seems to confirm that Napa and Mountain View superchargers will be built soon, or at least Tesla soon.

And it seems to confirm that the Petaluma charger is not the earlier 101 charger promised by the map, since that dot still appears north of Santa Rosa in addition to the new Petaluma dot.

- - - Updated - - -

The under construction Manteca charger is only slightly out of your way.

And it seems to confirm that the Petaluma charger is not the earlier 101 charger promised by the map, since that dot still appears north of Santa Rosa in addition to the new Petaluma dot.

The latitude of that dot is at Cloverdale, which is the same as on the old 2015 map. That's only 50 miles from Petaluma, so hopefully they move it up to Willits or something.

Douglas, highway 162 is a rare split highway in California with a western origination near Longvale and peters out a little east of Covelo in Round Valley. It then resumes about 35 miles west of Willows and proceeds eastward to Oroville and ends just east of Lake Oroville. So, it is unclear just which highway you mean. Until they complete a Supercharger in the Livermore/Pleasanton area, you could just take the Richmond Bridge to the Nimitz Freeway to US101 and charge in Gilroy before heading on south to LA.

A quick use of EVTripplanner indicates that from San Rafael to Harris Ranch directly would use about 69 kWh. Might be a little tight (or impossible in a 60.) But it is doable if you watch your speed and accelleration.
I'm sorry, my eyes are failing me. I meant highway 152 (not 162) running from Gilmore to I-5, a portion of which is two-lane road. There are several ways to get to Harris Ranch from the north, with charge stops at either Gilroy, Fremont, Manteca, etc. However, all of the currently available or coming soon routes are either longer or slower (slower to conserve energy or because the roads are not as good) than the way I would drive in an ICE car. Manteca, for example, is about 25 miles out of the way. Hence I was asking about whether there might be a planned SC in Livermore, Pleasanton, or even where I-580 meets I-5.

I don't know how you guys figure the Coming Soon dot SW of Fremont is Mountain View. It could just as easily be at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto or even Los Gatos for that matter.

Agreed. The Supercharger map on the Tesla website shows no detail at all and you can't enlarge it in any useful way. The Coming Soon dot that is southwest of the Fremont dot appears to be somewhere in the Santa Clara/San Jose area, but that is only a guess.

The Coming Soon dot that is between Vacaville and the Petaluma dot (we know that one for sure because it's almost done) could be the Napa/Sonoma area but there is no way to really know.

We will know for sure in a few months.

And the USA coverage by the end of 2015 is impressive! It appears that all the major long distance routes will be covered, lots of holes fill in. And please keep in mind that the SC build out will not stop at the end of 2014, it will continue and station capacity will be expanded as needed.

I visited the Rocklin SC yesterday and they are really excavating. Solar city is putting in a very large set of PV panels. I also noticed several crates that said DC supercharger on them. My hunch is they need more than the Roseville chargers will support, and this site is also just off I 80 and soon to be mostly solar powered. Downside is that there isn't much to do along that block of Rocklin. They will need to put in a lot more seating and refreshments. It's a nice service center if you're in the area. Much shorter waits than Fremont.