Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ima thinking 3 charging pedestals next to the building rear wall, 2 next to the building side wall, then 4 up along the back tree wall area then supercharging electrical cabinets, then 3 more in line with the ChargePoint chargers. Those stalls close to the building for a quick charge and go as we shop/use the facilities, the 7 others for those that need a longer charge time.

Ima thinking 3 charging pedestals next to the building rear wall, 2 next to the building side wall, then 4 up along the back tree wall area then supercharging electrical cabinets, then 3 more in line with the ChargePoint chargers. Those stalls close to the building for a quick charge and go as we shop/use the facilities, the 7 others for those that need a longer charge time.
For which site?

The Tesla find us map may have let a new location slip? When you click on the future location pin in South Gate the info box actually post a link for Driving Directions. That link pulls up an address, Firestone Blvd, South Gate, CA 90280. Not sure if there is a thread for that location yet, but kind of interesting.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 10.55.56 AM.png

Actually, looking at a couple of the future location pins it seems like there are quite a few that are doing this.
Yes. It was pointed out by @rayluis1988 in another thread. They don’t always give a specific address but if you zoom in on the resulting google map, the pin is the exact coordinates of the charger. You can verify this on some under construction sites.

Reactions: rayluis1988
Yes. It was pointed out by @rayluis1988 in another thread. They don’t always give a specific address but if you zoom in on the resulting google map, the pin is the exact coordinates of the charger. You can verify this on some under construction sites.
The "Driving Directions" link on the Tesla Supercharger map is definitely a good find and should help find specific locations. In Western Canada the Driving Directions seem to appear for sites that are under construction but not for the pins for other future sites.

A related issue is that Tesla hasn't added future sites on their maps for many months. It seems like many, (perhaps most) sites in Western Canada where construction has started or where permits are being sought do not appear on Tesla map as future sites. It makes me wonder if Tesla has decided not to update their map with future locations (although the locations shown on their Voting map might give some indication of locations that are under consideration).

The "Driving Directions" link on the Tesla Supercharger map is definitely a good find and should help find specific locations. In Western Canada the Driving Directions seem to appear for sites that are under construction but not for the pins for other future sites.

A related issue is that Tesla hasn't added future sites on their maps for many months. It seems like many, (perhaps most) sites in Western Canada where construction has started or where permits are being sought do not appear on Tesla map as future sites. It makes me wonder if Tesla has decided not to update their map with future locations (although the locations shown on their Voting map might give some indication of locations that are under consideration).
The driving directions are there for known sites where an agreement is in place. If there is no property agreement, there is no location set so no driving directions would be my guess. I am not sure why this is active because why wouldn't you just put the address for coming soon sites? They have been hiding this for years. It will be interesting to see if they update any coming soon sites as we get further into the quarter and next year.

The driving directions are there for known sites where an agreement is in place. If there is no property agreement, there is no location set so no driving directions would be my guess. I am not sure why this is active because why wouldn't you just put the address for coming soon sites? They have been hiding this for years. It will be interesting to see if they update any coming soon sites as we get further into the quarter and next year.
As of this morning the "Driving Directions" seem to be gone from the Tesla site, even for the ones under construction.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
As of this morning the "Driving Directions" seem to be gone from the Tesla site, even for the ones under construction.
Yep, I think I got most that we didn’t have a thread for on here. Knew it wasn’t supposed to be showing those. I think they have been doing a lot of preloading of data and they show it live for some reason. They did this with stall counts over the thanksgiving weekend.

This is only applicable when there is a set location. I don't know if this has changed in the last couple of years, but often the pin was just in the center of a city they want to put a location: you would often see a pin in place for years before a site was built (and usually in a different location than where the pin was originally). Perhaps they are changing their ways, but I know of several locations that went through this (such as Brea, CA)

This is only applicable when there is a set location. I don't know if this has changed in the last couple of years, but often the pin was just in the center of a city they want to put a location: you would often see a pin in place for years before a site was built (and usually in a different location than where the pin was originally). Perhaps they are changing their ways, but I know of several locations that went through this (such as Brea, CA)
This was a weird thing over the weekend. The large grey pin on the map is as it normally was for upcoming sites. But when you clicked on it there was a link to driving directions above the estimated opening timeframe. Look at the picture above is post #706 carefully. Target opening 2024 and driving directions. When you clicked on it it opened a google map with a map dot at the location of the future or under construction charger. This was corrected late last night and all those driving directions have disappeared.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
I'd suggest Tesla consider installing a Supercharger in Rancho Santa Margarita (RSM). I'm a bit baffled why there isn't one there, or any nearby area along the 241 toll road, especially for those road trips people living there start on the toll road to get to Riverside or the Desert.

Also, my wife works in RSM now and Teslas are most abundant there as one would expect. DCFC's are few there as well. Target has... 3 stalls.

Where is the Tesla suggestion box?
True! The nearest Tesla Superchargers all of them 9-10 miles drive ( LAGUNA HILLS, MISSION VIEJO and LAKE FOREST)

HERE: https://www.tesla.com/suggest-superchargers

Make sure you type: RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA PARKWAY, RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, CA...,.......because There's another Rancho Santa Margarita, La Quinta,CA

Last edited:
~300 Stall Supercharger between Barstow and Baker???
Heard from Tesla Supercharger service tech that there is a 300 stall Supercharger in the planning stage between Barstow and Baker.
Don't know if he was just pulling my leg or whether it is true since I don't know where, between Barstow and Baker, there's enough power for even a normal Supercharger site.
Let's see: 300 sites * 200 KW (knocked down for shared transformer) = 60 MW. Since Hoover Dam's output is 6000 MW in good years, that's about 1% of its output, by itself!

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
Heard from Tesla Supercharger service tech that there is a 300 stall Supercharger in the planning stage between Barstow and Baker.
Don't know if he was just pulling my leg or whether it is true since I don't know where, between Barstow and Baker, there's enough power for even a normal Supercharger site.
Let's see: 300 sites * 200 KW (knocked down for shared transformer) = 60 MW. Since Hoover Dam's output is 6000 MW in good years, that's about 1% of its output, by itself!
My gosh, why? Haven’t they just put in a large one in Baker, CA or are in the process of putting it in? I guess Tesla must know where their cars come and go, but I don’t really see that route between LA and LSV as being some giant Tesla route. And it doesn’t really serve the I40 too much. Something IN Barstow might make more sense, but then again I can’t see it as Tesla route 1. We’ll see.

My gosh, why? Haven’t they just put in a large one in Baker, CA or are in the process of putting it in? I guess Tesla must know where their cars come and go, but I don’t really see that route between LA and LSV as being some giant Tesla route. And it doesn’t really serve the I40 too much. Something IN Barstow might make more sense, but then again I can’t see it as Tesla route 1. We’ll see.
There are already 88 in the Barstow/Yermo area. There are 60 in Baker with 2 generator trucks standing by in case needed that were heavily in use on the holiday weekend. Also, the EA station in Baker was very busy . As EV ownership increases beyond today's small numbers and, if Tesla is going to carry most of the load, I can see this as being reasonable since pretty much everyone going from LA to LSV needs to charge somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: Dave EV

The California desert is a really good place to put up solar panels and wind turbines. Charging EVs on the road is actually a fantastic use case for renewable energy - you don't need to transmit the electricity very far, and the EV batteries are a natural energy storage.

Reactions: Misterbee