Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's 70 miles from the Glen Allen supercharger and 44 miles from the Hilton at Virginia Beach.
Wondering why you mentioned VB Hilton. Does it offer charging?

I echo the need for charging solutions on the way to the beaches along I 64 and the lack of charging on 81 south is also a problem for mountain recreation and Western travel.

As for Northern Virginia, Exit 130 in Fredericksburg is too close to Richmond. Springfield is OK but I think positioning would be better in the 495 area between Exit 50 (Rte 50) and exit 47 (Rte 7/Tysons). This is still along the 95 N/S corridor but gives better access to major east/West routes also (66, 267). Congestion and access certainly could be issues here but this spot is well positioned being 100 miles to the Glen Allen Supercharger and 110 miles to Newark, Deleware.

I echo the need for charging solutions on the way to the beaches along I 64 and the lack of charging on 81 south is also a problem for mountain recreation and Western travel.

As for Northern Virginia, Exit 130 in Fredericksburg is too close to Richmond. Springfield is OK but I think positioning would be better in the 495 area between Exit 50 (Rte 50) and exit 47 (Rte 7/Tysons). This is still along the 95 N/S corridor but gives better access to major east/West routes also (66, 267). Congestion and access certainly could be issues here but this spot is well positioned being 100 miles to the Glen Allen Supercharger and 110 miles to Newark, Deleware.

That location near McLean/Tyson's would be a good spot too. It's even closer to the mid-point between Glen Allen and Newark that Springfield (I mentioned the distances a couple of posts earlier), and access to 66 out to 81 would be useful.

I would think putting a supercharger in Tyson's would invite too much local traffic, though I suppose the same could be said of Menlo Park Mall in Edison. Also, the long-haul route generally goes around the other side of the Beltway--you could put it in one of the newer developments over in PG County, but Tesla is clearly concerned about making sure that people can go up 270 to Hagerstown and west through Breezewood, and a PGC supercharger wouldn't really help with that.

For that reason I think a supercharger on I-95 south of the Beltway makes the most sense, since it allows you to service both the I-95 and I-270 traffic flows.

Agree that Fredericksburg is too far south.

No, I mentioned it because it always seemed that most of the people I know go to the VB Hilton.

Due to population size and travel density, I think they're going to have to have something south of I-495, ie. Woodbridge and something north of I-495, ie. between Columbia and Elkridge, MD. For those that want to bypass the metro DC area altogether when traveling on I-95, there are some L2 chargers in along 301. I think it is important for Tesla to promote 80 amp L2 charging where they are not going to end up putting in superchargers.

hmm... I might have to look into this. IF it is in fact woodbridge, I would guess they will put it possibly at potomac mills mall (which would suck with traffic especially on the weekends). There are actually few other good possibilities, considering Tesla likes to put them near "good food" locations. I'll have to call my contacts in the fire marshal's office sometime.
On a side note, would anybody recommend charging on regular basis at superchargers? Does it affect battery life, even if I was to charge till 60%?

Woodbridge is also close to the Lorton Auto train station. A really nice option for travelling between Orlando and the Northeast is the Auto Train. An SC nearby would make it really easy to exit the train, charge and head on to your destination.

Woodbridge is too close to the Richmond SC, IMHO. Wouldn't the north side of the beltway make more sense?

The problem is that the north side of the beltway means you have to choose between traffic headed to Hagerstown on 270 and traffic headed to Newark DE on 95. Putting it on 95 south of the Beltway means you can serve both of those traffic flows from one charger.

As I said above, Woodbridge does seem too far south, but I can see the logic to putting it there rather than Springfield or somewhere.

The problem is that the north side of the beltway means you have to choose between traffic headed to Hagerstown on 270 and traffic headed to Newark DE on 95. Putting it on 95 south of the Beltway means you can serve both of those traffic flows from one charger.

Split the difference; put it at my house. ;-)

As I said above, Woodbridge does seem too far south, but I can see the logic to putting it there rather than Springfield or somewhere.

I'm still not sure I do. There's consistently bad traffic Springfield-to-Woodbridge (versus not-always-horrible Woodbridge-to-Springfield). actually near DC would've made more sense. But DC is a crowded area, so it may have been tough for them to find a good spot...

...and really, since I live in the DC area, it doesn't matter to me. I'd never use one around here. I probably won't use one in Woodbridge (shudder), but I suppose there's a tiny chance I might.

One plus of not having it in the DC area (to be clear: Woodbridge is not the DC area) is that it's a lot less likely to get clogged up by locals who don't-need-it-but-can't-resist-it. ;-)

I think Springfield makes a lot of sense, actually. In addition to N-S traffic, it would also cover E-W traffic (I-66 toward Front Royal / Route 50 toward Annapolis) that goes around the southern half of the beltway. The Springfield Mall is under major redevelopment, but I'm not sure that location makes as much sense as Springfield Plaza on the other side of I-95. Granted, traffic in that area can be as much of a disaster as Woodbridge.

Having said all of that, the dot does appear to be just a bit further south. And it's a "coming soon" dot, which means there's a good chance they've at least started negotiations with property owners and maybe even started the permit process.

I'd be surprised if the superchargers end up on the Potomac Mills Mall property itself. There are so many additional shopping centers on the outskirts of the mall, e.g. on Prince William Parkway and Smoketown Rd, closer to the I-95 exits and presumably less jammed than the mall itself, those might be better options. That would also reduce the chance of someone plugging in and spending 3+ hours at the mall.

Wherever they put the DC/NoVA supercharger, I hope they plan for a lot of spaces -- I could easily see it becoming one of the busiest on the east coast.

I can see them putting it in woodbridge even though it's close to richmond SC. They did put 2 - 3 SCs close by in CT after all. I can see them possibly putting it in the shopping center w/ office depot. A lot of space, hotels near by and chick fill-a, chipotle and starbucks there as well. Plus it's right off 95