Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lot was resurfaced and painted two days ago. Therefore they've had to keep it blocked off. Too bad that owner's haven't been able to "early charge" like at other SC's.

A friend sent me these pics:
IMG_5075.jpeg
IMG_7573.jpeg

I should get my Model S back today, so I still have a shot at being the first owner to charge at this SC!
:smile:

Mother nature should help clean up the site further today with a bit of rain for the grand opening tomorrow. I'm sure I'll see a lot of you tomorrow morning.

Hmm.. that's an interesting set of signs there: "Tesla Supercharger General Parking".

Looking back a my pics from the Delaware SC it has a "No Parking" (circle/slash) sign up top with "Except for Electric Vehicle Charging" below:

de_sc.jpg

This technically doesn't prohibit ICE vehicles from parking there... what do other SC sites have for signage?

scaesare: I see you posted what looks like a pic from the Delaware supercharger. I've been there before and had ICE's parked there (usually the Delaware House staff). There are some municipalities that are allowing signage that says your car will be towed from an Ev parking spot if it is not an EV. I can only speculate the signage at the Glen Allen supercharger is limited by the owner of the parking lot and the local laws and regulations. Comments?

scaesare: I see you posted what looks like a pic from the Delaware supercharger. I've been there before and had ICE's parked there (usually the Delaware House staff). There are some municipalities that are allowing signage that says your car will be towed from an Ev parking spot if it is not an EV. I can only speculate the signage at the Glen Allen supercharger is limited by the owner of the parking lot and the local laws and regulations. Comments?

Yup... that's Delaware (mentioned that in the post)... your point about local laws are probably the best explanation...

Bet you are right on the signage. Or maybe in discussions, Tesla was just stepping lightly. But when you get there you will see it is a lot between lots for Chilis and the mens Warehouse, so it has a good chance of remaining clear of other parking except maybe at peaks. See you all in the morning!

Even though Tesla is quite busy putting together the supercharger network for going across the country, I think it is time to start thinking of the right places for more VA superchargers.

Obviously the Woodbridge supercharger is a big one. Personally, I would rather have it off Gordon Blvd either at the Gordon Plaza or Station Plaza rather than in the potential mess of Dale City/Potomac Mills. An equally good choice is somewhere around Crossing West Shopping Center. I'd rather someplace that doesn't get absolutely crazy around this time of year and can easily zip in and zip out.

If this location hasn't been settled yet, then maybe a bunch of us that are locals or at least more familiar with the area can help contribute to the right place to put this supercharger.

My second suggestion is that Tesla put in a supercharger on the way to Virginia Beach sooner rather than later. There isn't a dot for it on any Tesla released supercharger map, but I'd like to lobby for something in Newport News. That way there is a charger right outside the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport and before the split between going south around Norfolk versus east. I'm thinking Jefferson Commons Shopping Center which has a number of food/shopping options. It's 70 miles from the Glen Allen supercharger and 44 miles from the Hilton at Virginia Beach. Which means it is possible to hit it up on the way down, *not* charge at Virginia Beach or surrounding areas, and then come back and hit it up. Given the dearth of L2 charging options at the beach, this is actually pretty important. It's also 162 miles to Ocean City, which makes it possible to do that hop an 85kWh.

Even though Tesla is quite busy putting together the supercharger network for going across the country, I think it is time to start thinking of the right places for more VA superchargers.

Obviously the Woodbridge supercharger is a big one.

...SNIP...

Here's something I posted earlier in favor of one near Springfield instead:

"It is, however, outside the DC metropolitan limits, at the junction of major corridors, and approximately 80-90 miles from the supercharger outside Richmond, and about 110 miles from the supercharger in Delaware.... around the halfway point.

Moving it farther South to Woodbridge, would make it only about 60-70 miles or so from Richmond SC.. and subsequently farther from DE. that would seem odd positioning. It would also remove it from being easily accessible to people travelling the I-495 beltway to/from 66 or 50 going East/West or branching up 395 in to DC."

@techmaven: Thanks for getting the conversation restarted! Frankly, I'd rather they put in a Supercharger near Staunton VA to allow us to go from NoVA to SW VA down I-81 (and vice versa). but I know that is not on the Supercharger map for the next two years, so... my vote would be to put a Supercharger along I-95 at exit 130. It's 177 miles or so from the Rocky Mount Supercharger, and 152 miles to the Delaware Supercharger. Both legs are easily doable.