Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they spread the I-81 chargers out a bit. You really don't need one in Lexington AND Staunton, they aren't that far apart ;) I'd like to see one around Roanoke/Salem.

- - - Updated - - -

Or around Blacksburg/Christiansburg to catch all of the college traffic along that stretch.

So, with the info about Strasburg, I'm guessing that makes Staunton and Roanoke the likely next two locations?

100 to 133 miles is a good spacing to cover contingencies including bad weather; 100-133 miles allows for fast driving and charging the rest of the time.

Using that, maybe we're looking at Lexington (113 miles from Strasburg) and then Ft. Chiswell (112 miles from Lexington, and more importantly the intersection of 74/77 and 81). That's probably better spacing.

I-81 @ I-70 Hagerstown, MD to Strasburg, VA = 62 miles
I-81 @ I-66 Strasburg, Va to Staunton, VA = 78 miles
I-81 @ I-64 Staunton, VA to Roanoke, VA airport = 86 miles
I-81 @ US 220 Roanoke, VA airport to Wytheville, VA= 75 miles
I-81 @ I-77 Wytheville, VA to Colonial Heights, TN = 89 miles (Wytheville to North Charlotte SC = 133)
I-81 @ I-26 Colonial Heights, TN to Knoxville, TN = 94 miles

Close together, but hilly and cold in winter with lots of interstate intersections.

Strasburg, Lexington and Wytheville are the locations in the Valley mentioned at the Tysons sales and service center opening video captured by andrewket.

Lanny

Lexington makes more sense, Staunton and Roanoke are too close together.

I-81 @ I-70 Hagerstown, MD to Strasburg, VA = 62 miles
I-81 @ I-66 Strasburg, Va to Lexington, VA = 110 miles
I-81 @ I-64 Lexington, VA to Wytheville, VA = 119 miles
I-81 @ I-77 Wytheville, VA to Colonial Heights, TN = 89 miles (Wytheville to North Charlotte = 133)
I-81 @ I-26 Colonial Heights, TN to Knoxville, TN = 94 miles

These 3 superchargers effectively remove the one of two blackholes around DC. It'll be now possible to take your Tesla to Roanoke with confidence once these are in place. I wish Tesla also addresses the blackholes in WV and PA towards Hershey.

In a different thread someone got a reponse from Tesla that they plan on opening a supercharger near harrisburg in the "summer". lol, it's pretty much summer, not even a permit pulled yet.

Tesla is a bit slow in delivering on their promises. They promised Model X deliveries 2 years ago for instance. But, good to know they have plans!

Finally something for I-81 in VA... been waiting for a while to see any progress here.

The Strasburg, VA site is about 340 miles from my house in NC... so, this one and one more somewhere a bit further south on I-81 and I can finally avoid Washington DC and Richmond on my trips to/from NJ altogether. I really hate that area :(

I could potentially pick up the other 100-ish miles of range at a CHAdeMO or other public station somewhere on I-81, but... I don't really trust those enough to drive all the way out there. Only the superchargers.

I believe there is a CHAdeMO fast charger in downtown Roanoke, about 5-6 miles from I-81:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/r...cle_db2e9b8e-c985-51e8-b04b-68b0f2726a00.html

Corner of Market Street and Salem Avenue, lots to do nearby. This would be about 160 miles from Strasburg SC

Yep, saw one on Plugshare.

Unfortunately for CHAdeMO, I'm not going to drive 200-ish miles only to find out the station is down or otherwise unusable and be stuck trying to find a slow alternative for probably a whole day or more to either get back where I came from or to press onward. This would probably irritate me so much that while I was sitting waiting for the charge I'd be looking for a replacement vehicle and curse EVs in general. As much as I like my Model S, I'm not going to turn a 9 hour road trip into a 20+ hour road trip. In that 11+ hour gap I could trade in the Model S for a half decent ICE vehicle and continue the trip with time to spare.

I'd use a CHAdeMO within 100 miles of home if it was needed to get me to a supercharger on the route I wanted... but I'm not going out of round-trip range without a supercharger.

For the moment, that means sticking to the superchargers on I-95 :(

Im headed down this weekend from Centreville, CHAdeMO Adaptor has not arrived yet... I ordered on June 9th and still don't have a tracking number... starting to worry that the boat from China got nailed by pirates.... might have to take the gas sucking SUV.... Hiwassee Virginia is about 267 mile from my house, so I may have to get creative...

1x CHAdeMO Adapter - Adapter for $ 450.00 each

All items : $ 450.00 USD
Tax : $ 27.00 USD
Shipping : $ 9.00 USD
Total : $ 486.00 USD

For information about delivery times or returns, please see our Help page at http://shop.teslamotors.com/pages/help.

Sincerely,

Tesla Motors Customer Support

Im headed down this weekend from Centreville, CHAdeMO Adaptor has not arrived yet... I ordered on June 9th and still don't have a tracking number... starting to worry that the boat from China got nailed by pirates.... might have to take the gas sucking SUV.... Hiwassee Virginia is about 267 mile from my house, so I may have to get creative...

1x CHAdeMO Adapter - Adapter for $ 450.00 each

All items : $ 450.00 USD
Tax : $ 27.00 USD
Shipping : $ 9.00 USD
Total : $ 486.00 USD

For information about delivery times or returns, please see our Help page at http://shop.teslamotors.com/pages/help.

Sincerely,

Tesla Motors Customer Support

If you want to borrow a Chademo.. I can lend you mine. I am not traveling anywhere far this weekend.