Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they spread the I-81 chargers out a bit. You really don't need one in Lexington AND Staunton, they aren't that far apart ;) I'd like to see one around Roanoke/Salem.
Okay, here is my attempt at a list for nearby states through 2015 having looked at as many posts and maps as I could find (Tesla, supercharger.info). Any adjustments?

NC Current: Burlington, Lumberton, Plymouth, Rocky Mount
NC New in 2015: Asheville, Charlotte, Warsaw

VA Current: Glen Allen, South Hill, Woodbridge
VA New in 2015: Abington, Charlottesville, Lexington, Norfolk, Staunton, Winchester, I-77/I-81

SC Current: Santee
SC New in 2015: Columbia, Greenville [+ Augusta GA]

- - - Updated - - -

Or around Blacksburg/Christiansburg to catch all of the college traffic along that stretch.

Hello VA EV folks. My spouse and I are going to Corolla NC 5/17 - 5/24. We would like to go through DE stop at Salisbury SC and again at the proposed Norfolk SC. Any word on it's progress. Have permits been approved, construction started? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Nothing that I've seen or heard yet, although there's a good chance it'll be ready by May.

Hello VA EV folks. My spouse and I are going to Corolla NC 5/17 - 5/24. We would like to go through DE stop at Salisbury SC and again at the proposed Norfolk SC. Any word on it's progress. Have permits been approved, construction started? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

There are several HPWCs in the VA Beach area (which is 139 miles from Salisbury). Assuming you 90% charge in Salisbury, you should be able to hit one of the Va Beach HPWCs for an hour to charge up for 106 mile trip to Corolla.

There are several HPWCs in the VA Beach area (which is 139 miles from Salisbury). Assuming you 90% charge in Salisbury, you should be able to hit one of the Va Beach HPWCs for an hour to charge up for 106 mile trip to Corolla.

Just beware the HPWC at Mythics on Great Neck Road.
It is listed on Plug Share as a "public station" but may be occupied by the owner's Gray P85 with no way to contact. I really needed a charge in Virginia Beach yesterday to make the drive back to Glen Allen in sub-20 degree temps and 30mph headwinds. Ended up trickle charging at the underpowered Whole Foods J1772. I see there are 2 new CHAdeMO chargers in the area. The other HPWC's that I know of are at private residences. Supercharger in this area can't come fast enough!

It is listed on Plug Share as a "public station" but may be occupied by the owner's Gray P85 with no way to contact. I really needed a charge in Virginia Beach yesterday to make the drive back to Glen Allen in sub-20 degree temps and 30mph headwinds. Ended up trickle charging at the underpowered Whole Foods J1772. I see there are 2 new CHAdeMO chargers in the area. The other HPWC's that I know of are at private residences. Supercharger in this area can't come fast enough!

You might want to check out the following thread where they talk about Coastal Grill having an 80a HPWC.

Thread: 1 Year later and Virginia Beach is still behind on chargers...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ginia-Beach-is-still-behind-on-chargers/page3

Since there is now a Chademo in Norfolk it may be worth getting an adapter. They are finally starting to get shipped it seems. The other options are the 14-50's at the campgrounds off General Booth. There is also a 14-50 at a condo at the oceanfront that is an owner. Its in a location where there would be things to do nearby.

It is listed on Plug Share as a "public station" but may be occupied by the owner's Gray P85 with no way to contact....
In fairness, it helps to call in advance (the office number is on the plugshare listing, so call during work hours) - I called and let them know I'd be coming beforehand. I was concerned lest either the owner or another driver was there first that I might have the same problem, but I guess I got lucky.

Nevertheless, superchargers would be a great relief.

As andrewket recorded at the VIP event in Tysons Corner, Tesla will be opening five chargers in VA sometime in the next year (hopefully). This got me thinking again about where the Norfolk-area charger might go since it's on the coming soon list, but we haven't seen a permit pop up yet. Anyway, here's my best guess:

Right off I-64 at the 258 interchange in Hampton. This puts it right before I-64 splits. My best guess spot is shown in the picture.

Hampton Supercharger Possible Site.jpg

As andrewket recorded at the VIP event in Tysons Corner, Tesla will be opening five chargers in VA sometime in the next year (hopefully). This got me thinking again about where the Norfolk-area charger might go since it's on the coming soon list, but we haven't seen a permit pop up yet. Anyway, here's my best guess:

Right off I-64 at the 258 interchange in Hampton. This puts it right before I-64 splits.
With all due respect (and 5 new chargers gives some leeway), that kind of puts anyone coming down the Eastern Shore to Norfolk and points south at a bit of a disadvantage. <sigh /> There's gotta be a better way to promote destination charging...

Does anyone have any clues about where the new chargers are likely to be sited (other than the above)?

With all due respect (and 5 new chargers gives some leeway), that kind of puts anyone coming down the Eastern Shore to Norfolk and points south at a bit of a disadvantage. <sigh /> There's gotta be a better way to promote destination charging...

Does anyone have any clues about where the new chargers are likely to be sited (other than the above)?

It was just a guess on where to look. We don't actually know until someone either spots the construction, or someone catches the permit with the city/state/county/whatever. Given their location choice on Salisbury of linking US 13 and US 50 together, it wouldn't surprise me to see them put something on the right side of Norfolk maybe near where 13 and 58 come together? I have only ever been into that area once, so I can't really speak for best locations other than what the map seems to say would be logical.

Based on the latest comments from Tesla being that they are getting so many requests for charging (as opposed to the early days where they had to beg people) that they essentially have to turn people away and pick what works best for them... That likely includes not just best choice location wise, but also whoever gives them the best deal on the lease agreement/utilities cost. Of course they also need somewhere that has enough power going to it as well.

But in any case, we simply just don't know where it will be going just yet.

As chickensevil pointed out, I was just taking a guess. That said, I was thinking that the main audience for this supercharger location would be people coming from the west (i.e., DC/Northern Virginia, Richmond, and Charlottesville residents heading to Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks), but perhaps I'm off base.

As chickensevil pointed out, I was just taking a guess. That said, I was thinking that the main audience for this supercharger location would be people coming from the west (i.e., DC/Northern Virginia, Richmond, and Charlottesville residents heading to Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks), but perhaps I'm off base.
Understood. I was just dealing with the anxiety that comes when getting one's hopes up. I took the run down Rt.13 and used Salisbury twice last Fall, and was hoping for more options later this Spring when we head to Norfolk and Sandbridge.

And between no response yet to the question TNEVol posted in CHAdeMO in Norfolk and the price of those adapters, I guess I'm like everone else around here - still keeping my fingers crossed.

I just noticed at Supercharger.info we're getting a SuC at 119 Hite Ln in Strasburg, VA. I wasn't aware that one was coming, but in my opinion Tesla made an excellent placement for this Suc. It's at the west end of 66 and right off 81 for those making the North/South run. If you're South heading to the DC area or points south via 95, it will only take a quick stop in Strasburg to rejoin the 95 corridor.

I just noticed at Supercharger.info we're getting a SuC at 119 Hite Ln in Strasburg, VA. I wasn't aware that one was coming, but in my opinion Tesla made an excellent placement for this Suc. It's at the west end of 66 and right off 81 for those making the North/South run. If you're South heading to the DC area or points south via 95, it will only take a quick stop in Strasburg to rejoin the 95 corridor.

Yay! The first infill on I-81 between Hagerstown MD and Knoxville TN! Can now get to relatives in Winchester without going to Woodbridge!