Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I meet a few of you in Custer last week and went on a deep dive into this “Game” Is there a reason no one has made an app or a way to track checkins that veryify location before checking in? Is this something that interests anyone? If anyone thinks it would be a good idea I could bust it out in a week! ALSO how do i message someone on here. You cant get added to the list until you message 3 Mods (very weird) and newbs can’t message people (also cant change my picture)
Great that you made it to Custer, @Copythat23, and thanks for the interest. You should be able to get added to the list just by posting visits over in the "Superchargers visited" thread and/or introducing yourself over there. This is sort of the thread about the discussion behind the game.

I'll have the game Admins send you a PM so you don't have to initiate it.

Hey all. I meet a few of you in Custer last week and went on a deep dive into this “Game” Is there a reason no one has made an app or a way to track checkins that veryify location before checking in? Is this something that interests anyone? If anyone thinks it would be a good idea I could bust it out in a week! ALSO how do i message someone on here. You cant get added to the list until you message 3 Mods (very weird) and newbs can’t message people (also cant change my picture)
Welcome! As you post more you'll unlock additional features like changing your profile picture. I think the threshold is relatively low, mainly as a barrier against spammers.

There has been previous interest in developing an app:

I hadn't seen SuperCheck.in before but it looks similar to what you're proposing.

I hadn't seen SuperCheck.in before but it looks similar to what you're proposing.

Thank you for the plug paulkva !!

I have deployed 2 new badges this week:

"The Regular" now rewards you for frequent visits to the same superchargers. It levels up for each supercharger you have visited at least 10 times.
"Roadtrip" levels up when you go visit superchargers in at least 3 consecutive days, and where in that 3 day time span, you have visited at least 3 different superchargers.

Thank you for the plug paulkva !!

I have deployed 2 new badges this week:

"The Regular" now rewards you for frequent visits to the same superchargers. It levels up for each supercharger you have visited at least 10 times.
"Roadtrip" levels up when you go visit superchargers in at least 3 consecutive days, and where in that 3 day time span, you have visited at least 3 different superchargers.
Interesting thoughts on the various badges/incentives. I've only been tracking my first visit to each supercharger, but I'd probably qualify for some "regular" and "roadtrip" badges. I think I could get history from my Tesla account from 2017 and beyond, but piecing together earlier charging might be tough. I also expect the data entry would take a LOT of time for me, and I'm not even in the top 50 on the Google Sheet version of the game. As @Copythat23 pointed out, manual data entry in bulk isn't the most fun thing in the world.

Fascinating that there are multiple variations of this game under development now!

Interesting thoughts on the various badges/incentives. I've only been tracking my first visit to each supercharger, but I'd probably qualify for some "regular" and "roadtrip" badges. I think I could get history from my Tesla account from 2017 and beyond, but piecing together earlier charging might be tough. I also expect the data entry would take a LOT of time for me, and I'm not even in the top 50 on the Google Sheet version of the game. As @Copythat23 pointed out, manual data entry in bulk isn't the most fun thing in the world.

Fascinating that there are multiple variations of this game under development now!
I've got most of my visits noted thanks to Teslafi but it missed about the first 15,000 miles. I wonder what level I'd be for 120 visits to the same location.

1654753346337.png

If there are enough legitimate potential users who need a kind of "batch-history-import", I would be willing to build it.

The main challenge will be: How do we correctly link/identify the exact supercharger you have in your history, with the one I have in my database.
I keep the official tesla identifiers, and I think as well as the supercharge.info identifier, so there must be possibilities.

So this batch-history-import could be something where you organise your history in a Google Spreadsheet, and I just build a google script that then pushes all of your visits/checkins to a supercheck.in API that I would build for this.

Let's commit to the following: if 20 people confirm with a serious intention that they would want such a batch-history-import, I'll build it.

As a sidenote, I already have a piece of API exposed to any logged in user. If you register and log in, you can query the location database with a simple:
Code:
https://www.supercheck.in/locations?q=tampa
in and get it in JSON back. Right now, I only expose here what I need for the UI lookup widgets, but I could easily expand this to show more of the attributes, if this would be useful for the purpose of batch-history-import and linking locations.

I've got most of my visits noted thanks to Teslafi but it missed about the first 15,000 miles. I wonder what level I'd be for 120 visits to the same location.

View attachment 814457
Pretty sure my top supercharger would be <20 charges. And that's kind of crazy considering I've only ever had 120V charging at home (and I have FREE supercharging of course!). I think it would be Centralia which is nearly 100 miles from my house!

If there are enough legitimate potential users who need a kind of "batch-history-import", I would be willing to build it.

The main challenge will be: How do we correctly link/identify the exact supercharger you have in your history, with the one I have in my database.
I keep the official tesla identifiers, and I think as well as the supercharge.info identifier, so there must be possibilities.

So this batch-history-import could be something where you organise your history in a Google Spreadsheet, and I just build a google script that then pushes all of your visits/checkins to a supercheck.in API that I would build for this.

Let's commit to the following: if 20 people confirm with a serious intention that they would want such a batch-history-import, I'll build it.
That is kind of where I’m at if there are enough “players” it’s worth importing but it’s also fun to start your own game that makes it easier for everyone to “play”.
(side note I built it but don’t know if I’d want to use it)

Badges are fun that’s a great idea. I took a drive to 9 super chargers last night and tested the app and it works great. Now working on UX to work and look like a “Tesla app” on the web browser.

@bram-atmire, we use the SID from supercharge.info, which I assume you keep as well? We also create a competitor ID that we call CID. I registered for your site this morning to check it out. It has a nice UI on the front end but we'd definitely need some way to bulk load our entries from the spreadsheet though we could likely give competitors a relatively easy way to create a CSV file or something to make import easier. We already create this view dynamically.

I guess my biggest concern is that as currently built, your tool is focused on check-ins whereas we are focused more on a friendly competition around visits. I'd want some confidence that you'd be willing to move in that direction. In particular, we need visualizations to help us see what superchargers we haven't visited yet, color code superchargers that have no competitor visits yet, etc.

I'm also not a fan of having to use Gravatar for my avatar but can get over that.

@bram-atmire, we use the SID from supercharge.info, which I assume you keep as well? We also create a competitor ID that we call CID. I registered for your site this morning to check it out. It has a nice UI on the front end but we'd definitely need some way to bulk load our entries from the spreadsheet though we could likely give competitors a relatively easy way to create a CSV file or something to make import easier. We already create this view dynamically.

I guess my biggest concern is that as currently built, your tool is focused on check-ins whereas we are focused more on a friendly competition around visits. I'd want some confidence that you'd be willing to move in that direction. In particular, we need visualizations to help us see what superchargers we haven't visited yet, color code superchargers that have no competitor visits yet, etc.

I'm also not a fan of having to use Gravatar for my avatar but can get over that.
Now I’m scared to post my link up. After this review lol I didn’t know we were being graded on our work lol. JK I have it really almost finished and tested on a 6 day road trip. Only thing I’m missing is importing in from the original spread sheet. It’s a massive list. My phone can’t even open the file you posted. (It crashes) pre importing might work but some of it would be a waste as not everyone is still playing the game! I’ll keep you posted.

• Funny
Reactions: Darren S
@theflyer Thank you for your feedback !!!

Locations & SID

Great to hear you are keeping the supercharge.info SID. Indeed, this is a key we can link on without ambiguity

I keep following fields for each of the locations

id (supercheck.in internal)
city
country
name
point_location (coordinates stored in a specific way)
state
street_address
type
zip
time_zone
location_id, example: sanjuancapistranosupercharger
site_id from supercharge.info, example: 122

Visit date

You currently only have dates, I also keep the hour, specifically for levelling the Nightswatch badge (checkins between midnight and 6am).
But if you don't have the time, I can just default this to a time outside of the night.

Gravatar & user pictures

For privacy & GDPR reasons, I would really want to avoid storing & working with user photographs myself.
This was the mean reason to "outsource" this to the use of gravatar.

But it's not the first time the question has come up, maybe I have to support user-uploaded pictures anyway at some point.

Check-in vs Friendly competition around visits

Right now, users on supercheck.in can decide which folks can see details of their check-ins, through the mechanism of the friend list.
On pages of specific locations, you can see limited information about check-ins from other users who are not in your friend list.
Anonymous, e.g. non registered, users or bots can't see anything.

In your game, this is addressed through the use of game names/nicknames. However in my user profiles, I really want users to use their real names/identity to avoid abuse.
For example, you can leave a hint/recommendation on the pages of the locations. I don't know if I want to enable that for anonymous accounts.

But in general: I'm open to consider any feature request you may have.

Now I’m scared to post my link up. After this review lol I didn’t know we were being graded on our work lol. JK I have it really almost finished and tested on a 6 day road trip. Only thing I’m missing is importing in from the original spread sheet. It’s a massive list. My phone can’t even open the file you posted. (It crashes) pre importing might work but some of it would be a waste as not everyone is still playing the game! I’ll keep you posted.
Can't wait to see what you've come up with. I'm sure we can help parse the spreadsheet to ease import if needed. Our existing cobbled-together solution has reached its limits so your timing is great.

Reactions: Darren S

Locations & SID

Great to hear you are keeping the supercharge.info SID. Indeed, this is a key we can link on without ambiguity

I keep following fields for each of the locations

id (supercheck.in internal)
city
country
name
point_location (coordinates stored in a specific way)
state
street_address
type
zip
time_zone
location_id, example: sanjuancapistranosupercharger
site_id from supercharge.info, example: 122

Visit date

You currently only have dates, I also keep the hour, specifically for levelling the Nightswatch badge (checkins between midnight and 6am).
But if you don't have the time, I can just default this to a time outside of the night.

Gravatar & user pictures

For privacy & GDPR reasons, I would really want to avoid storing & working with user photographs myself.

But it's not the first time the question has come up, maybe I have to support user-uploaded pictures anyway at some point.

Right now, users on supercheck.in can decide which folks can see details of their check-ins, through the mechanism of the friend list.
On pages of specific locations, you can see limited information about check-ins from other users who are not in your friend list.

In your game, this is addressed through the use of game names/nicknames. However in my user profiles, I really want users to use their real names/identity to avoid abuse.
For example, you can leave a hint/recommendation on the pages of the locations. I don't know if I want to enable that for anonymous accounts.

A few edge cases that come to mind.
1. Superchargers deleted from supercharge.info. There are a handful where the supercharger was deleted from their database.
2. How do you handle superchargers that are temporarily or permanently closed?
3. Do you have superchargers that are not opened yet in your location data? (permit and construction status)
4. First person to visit a supercharger and posts on social media (usually TMC) is how supercharge.info finds out about it, and then it can take hours or longer for it to be marked open in supercharge.info. Somehow those visits, before "open" in supercharge.info, would need to be captured.

I chuckled when you talked about time of visit. When we went to the spreadsheet, we moved from just marking a supercharger as visited to recording the date. Capturing the time we'll get the "real" first visit to the supercharger. I also like being able to capture repeat visits, so you get a full picture of all supercharging.

If I understand, the date and time is recorded when the person "checks in" to a supercharger. So if they don't have internet at the supercharger, or they wait until the end of their trip to record their visits, the date/time would be off. If might be nice to be able to import from the Tesla charging screen on their website, which allows monthly download of data. I can download all my supercharger visits with date and time back to January of 2017 - would be nice if users could download each of their monthly files, combine them, and import that for visits 2017 and later. That would also be a better indication of their visit - recorded by Tesla, not the honor system.

ChargeStartDateTimeNameVinModelCountrySiteLocationNameDescriptionQuantityBaseQuantityTier1QuantityTier2QuantityTier3QuantityTier4InvoiceNumberUnitCostBaseUnitCostTier1UnitCostTier2UnitCostTier3UnitCostTier4VATTotal Exc. VATTotal Inc. VATStatusInvoice
2022-05-31T10:23:09-04:005YJSA1DN7DFP16399msUSHamilton Township, NJCHARGING : NO_CHARGE31.00 kwhN/AN/AN/AN/A0.39/kwhN/AN/AN/AN/A
0​
0​
0​
PAID
2022-05-31T09:08:35-04:005YJSA1DN7DFP16399msUSElwood, NJCHARGING : NO_CHARGE14.00 kwhN/AN/AN/AN/A0.45/kwhN/AN/AN/AN/A
0​
0​
0​
PAID
2022-05-31T05:45:27-04:005YJSA1DN7DFP16399msUSBoonton, NJCHARGING : NO_CHARGE51.00 kwhN/AN/AN/AN/A0.38/kwhN/AN/AN/AN/A
0​
0​
0​
PAID

Thanks for the reply! Adding to the discussion below.

Locations & SID

Unlike supercharge.info, we continue to leverage closed superchargers. That is likely the biggest difference. We also have some additional fields that we've tracked that are kind of nice to have as they allow for some interesting analysis and visualization of the network
Permit Date
Construction Date
Open Date
V3 Upgrade Date
Stalls Upgraded
Closed Date

Regarding SID, we also have a field, TSID. @tes-s can explain how/why we have this field and how it relates to SID.

We also have a sub-competition that has become quite popular, which is tracking who in the competition gets to the supercharger first. We only track this at the day level pretty intentionally. This is not the first visit of anyone on the planet, but the first visit by competitors. Anyone who visits on that same day gets to claim a first.

Visit date

Be glad we even have dates at all. Until we cobbled this solution together, the OGs only tracked that they had visited, not even the date of the visit. Thankfully, most have been able to recreate -- either exactly or pretty closely -- the dates they visited those original superchargers. Where that couldn't be done, we round to the end of the nearest month or year, so there are quite a few entries like December 31, 2015.

Gravatar & user pictures

I'm not totally opposed to Gravatar. It must be a bigger thing in Europe than it is here in the USA.

Our nicknames are our TMC handles. That is an artifact of how the game got started as a wiki within TMC. I'm quite certain that not all competitors will want to use their real names publicly as I know from personal knowledge that several of the competitors are very privacy-minded. It appears they could put anything they want for first/last name so maybe it isn't a big deal but I can't say for certain.

If you haven't taken a look at the visualizations yet, please do. We would seek to replicate some/all of these when we move to a new architecture. In particular:, we use the following visualizations everyday
The free tier of Tableau does not allow connections to relational databases so we'd need to figure out how else these visualizations could be created.

I'm not sure yet that it is appropriate to join these two efforts together but I appreciate you joining the discussion to see where it might lead.