Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is their page on supercharging, states free for life and does not state anything like "* Only available for use by owners who live a minimum of X miles from the charger".

Supercharging | Tesla Motors

Interestingly here is the Denver metro, the staff told me that their location is unusual as so many local owners use it "even though they aren't really supposed to".

My question (not an owner yet) is whether the car notifies you as soon as it is charged?
I cannot see how you can demand people don't use a free service (included in purchase) but I could see a strong argument for charging people by the minute after they've had a reasonable amount of time to move their vehicle.
As the local one is by a mall, I can imagine there's a real problem with people taking their own sweet time to get back to the car.

Of course auto-pilot will presumably allow you to check-in to a charging queue, and the cars will do an aut-shuffle once one is charged ...
So only the 'legacy' cars driven by humans will be able to screw that system up :wink:

Last edited:
Has anyone who has used a Supercharger NOT received a notice today?
I ask as the selection criteria seem so far off - after all they DO know where your home is, and many letters are sent to people 60+ miles from a SC) ...
I am wondering whether someone accidentally didn't use ANY selection criteria and sent the note to every user of the SC network?
I haven't received it. I also don't have a local supercharger but have used all the Texas ones for their intended purpose of long-distance travel.

I received the email today and told them I plan to still use one of the 10 empty chargers during weekday while i'm shopping or eating across the street as i have since day one. I see their point if the chargers are fairly busy all the time and travelers need the spots. That's why i don't go on the weekend. But on a Tuesday when all stalls are open you better believe i'm going to plug in and top her off while i do my shopping.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaff

I have "local" supercharging, and getting another even localler than the first two. I use my garage outlet, because it's just way more convenient. I can't imagine driving even ten miles to charge for "free". Every newbie I meet tells me, "Hey, cool, I can charge at the SC. It's free." And I say, "For a buck or two in savings? Are you kidding?"

But then, I didn't get a letter. Maybe it's only being abused in certain areas. I completely agree with the letter. If someone is guilty, they might not like it, thinking they have the "right" to something that's free. Sounds like smokers using my air. No, it's not all right. Go outside. No, farther than that.

If it gets so that people start keying cars while carelessly using the SC, maybe a letter isn't so bad. And if it gets abused enough and Tesla stops pushing the network, what then? Count your blessings.

I use superchargers frequently. Even the one close by (30 km), but I do not misuse it, i.e. only when needed, not to replace home charging.

I did not get the letter. (But I also did not get the letter about the referral program, it was in myTesla).

Had I gotten the letter, I'd be pissed (somewhat).

Just because I describe how you *can* use all sorts of crazy frankenplugs to charge in an emergency doesn't mean you *should* on a regular basis. We have on-the-record comments about the intended use from senior executives. Can we please stop beating the horse?

Most owners who don't drink the KoolAid and who don't frequent the forums would have no idea of Tesla's intent outside of what they see on the web site. I can understand how something like this could be misinterpreted. Tesla's communications suck. Hey Ricardo Reyes, why have communications gone down the toilet since you were hired as Director of Communications? What, exactly, are you directing over there?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone who has used a Supercharger NOT received a notice today?
I ask as the selection criteria seem so far off - after all they DO know where your home is, and many letters are sent to people 60+ miles from a SC) ...
I am wondering whether someone accidentally didn't use ANY selection criteria and sent the note to every user of the SC network?

I have used the local Supercharger 2 miles away from my house a handful of times in the last two months due to long distance appointments on opposite ends of the valley. So far I have not received this email.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't expect free electricity indefinitely as SCs. become ubiquitous.

You absolutely should because Elon promised you free Supercharging for the life of the car. Why wouldn't you expect it?

I received the email today and told them I plan to still use one of the 10 empty chargers during weekday while i'm shopping or eating across the street as i have since day one. I see their point if the chargers are fairly busy all the time and travelers need the spots. That's why i don't go on the weekend. But on a Tuesday when all stalls are open you better believe i'm going to plug in and top her off while i do my shopping.

Can you charge at home?

You absolutely should because Elon promised you free Supercharging for the life of the car. Why wouldn't you expect it?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I remember one of the points argued was that while "free supercharging" was a headlining feature, "unlimited supercharging" was not (there's a few references that you have to dig hard for, but it was not in the main advertising). This would be similar to T-Mobile's "free data for life" offer (where you get free data, but it is limited to 200MB per month).
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-reiterates-free-data-for-life-details.htm

Also, the whole roadtrip and long distance thing was there since the day superchargers launched. That gives Tesla leeway to do what they are doing, like sending notes and perhaps even throttling, even though they can't start charging fees.

Or it might be by region. I haven't heard of anyone in Texas getting a letter. (This might also be because they didn't mail all the letters out on the same day)

I'm from Texas, and I got the email today, but I haven't used "local" superchargers in over 3 months. I always charge at home anyways unless on long trips. It's insulting to tell me the benefits of charging at home AND accuse me of over-using the local superchargers! Makes me feel like a 5-year old and almost makes me want to rethink an X reservation if I will be treated like this.