Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm from Texas, and I got the email today, but I haven't used "local" superchargers in over 3 months. I always charge at home anyways unless on long trips. It's insulting to tell me the benefits of charging at home AND accuse me of over-using the local superchargers! Makes me feel like a 5-year old and almost makes me want to rethink an X reservation if I will be treated like this.

They accused you of something? It appears to me a gentle reminder of what they now consider the network for. You can continue to use the network as you have which isn't a lot of sounds like. Don't see the problem.

Reactions: Jaff
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I remember one of the points argued was that while "free supercharging" was a headlining feature, "unlimited supercharging" was not (there's a few references that you have to dig hard for, but it was not in the main advertising). This would be similar to T-Mobile's "free data for life" offer (where you get free data, but it is limited to 200MB per month).
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-reiterates-free-data-for-life-details.htm

I'm not sure phone operators are the best example, given this: FCC to Fine AT&T $100 Million Over Capping Unlimited Data Plans

In the end it would come down to what Tesla was seen as advertising and what they could be held responsible for (or not) - and as we know there is a disagreement of that at TMC, which his best left dormant. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm from Texas, and I got the email today, but I haven't used "local" superchargers in over 3 months. I always charge at home anyways unless on long trips. It's insulting to tell me the benefits of charging at home AND accuse me of over-using the local superchargers! Makes me feel like a 5-year old and almost makes me want to rethink an X reservation if I will be treated like this.

I continue to wonder the wisdom of these emails. Wouldn't it be better if Tesla first started a generic information campaign on what they now consider the proper use of Superchargers - and start issuing reminders only later. I'm fairly certain some of the people who are receiving these reminders have used local Superchargers (only) long before it became public that Tesla now considers there to be a limitation. Generic communications preceding individual emails would thus seem wiser at this point, when things are in transition from the old PR message to the new one.

- - - Updated - - -

AmpedRealtor said:
longlake.ra said:
I don't expect free electricity indefinitely as SCs. become ubiquitous.
You absolutely should because Elon promised you free Supercharging for the life of the car. Why wouldn't you expect it?
+ 1e-06

If Tesla decides they need to "dynamically adapt" they can do that for subsequent customers after some announced date. Otherwise, that's not adapting...it's reneging.

There is an even better word:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Last edited:
I'm not sure phone operators are the best example, given this: FCC to Fine AT&T $100 Million Over Capping Unlimited Data Plans

In the end it would come down to what Tesla was seen as advertising and what they could be held responsible for (or not) - and as we know there is a disagreement of that at TMC, which his best left dormant. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I continue to wonder the wisdom of these emails. Wouldn't it be better if Tesla first started a generic information campaign on what they now consider the proper use of Superchargers - and start issuing reminders only later. I'm fairly certain some of the people who are receiving these reminders have used local Superchargers (only) long before it became public that Tesla now considers there to be a limitation. Generic communications preceding individual emails would thus seem wiser at this point, when things are in transition from the old PR message to the new one.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an even better word:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Leave the bait and switch and your other analysis to the main thread on this topic. This thread is about the emails being sent out.

Reactions: Jaff
They accused you of something? It appears to me a gentle reminder of what they now consider the network for. You can continue to use the network as you have which isn't a lot of sounds like. Don't see the problem.

Not sure if everybody got the same letter, but at least some of them says:

"As a frequent user of local Superchargers, we ask that you decrease your local Supercharging."

They could have framed that more generally if it was just a PSA. The way it's framed is very direct and accusatory.

Not sure if everybody got the same letter, but at least some of them says:

"As a frequent user of local Superchargers, we ask that you decrease your local Supercharging."

They could have framed that more generally if it was just a PSA. The way it's framed is very direct and accusatory.

It appears there might be different versions of the email then. That is more than a PSA.

Has anyone who has used a Supercharger NOT received a notice today?
I ask as the selection criteria seem so far off - after all they DO know where your home is, and many letters are sent to people 60+ miles from a SC) ...
I am wondering whether someone accidentally didn't use ANY selection criteria and sent the note to every user of the SC network?

I used SpC maybe 20+ times in my 2 months of ownership (not the same one, lol), and I never got a notice. I even used my "local" SpC a few times while shopping in the mall.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, provided you have the app on your phone and notifications enabled.

Only applicable to Apple. Android App does not do notifications....

I used SpC maybe 20+ times in my 2 months of ownership (not the same one, lol), and I never got a notice. I even used my "local" SpC a few times while shopping in the mall.
Elon wasn't talking about using a local supercharger a few times. He was talking about someone using it routinely as their primary source of charging who is able to charge overnight at home, but doesn't.
- -

Elon wasn't talking about using a local supercharger a few times. He was talking about someone using it routinely as their primary source of charging who is able to charge overnight at home, but doesn't.
- -

Yeh, but there's other people in the other thread stating they used their local SC twice and got the letter. Also need better definition of "local." My closest SC is 35 miles away and I've used it twice, both times to show it off and spent 15 minutes each time. No letter for me, then again, I've only EVER supercharged twice.

I already discussed how that does not apply to Tesla.
1) Tesla does not sell a monthly service plan with a service guarantee (as AT&T did)
2) Tesla did not advertise "unlimited" as a headlining feature (as AT&T did)
3) Tesla's supercharger network is not under the jurisdiction of FCC

Tesla's "free supercharger for life" is a much closer analogy to T-mobile's "free data for life" than to any unlimited service plan with a monthly fee.

What I can't seem to figure out here is, Tesla knows everything about you and your car from the logs it gets from the car. What they should have done, is look for cars who rarely charge at "home" but have frequent super charger visits and\or cars that charge more frequently at super chargers than at home. Start with that data set then work from there.

In the end, I see a different result than most. I see the supercharging network remaining free as it is today, I see the language about long distance travel becoming more prominent, and possibly some sort of usage deterrent of some kind for the most extreme abuses, but outside of that I don't see much coming from this. If anything, Tesla may start to actually convert the stations to solar and do so at an aggressive rate working with Solar City than maybe they would have otherwise.

Either way though, I think we all can agree on one thing. Whomever is responsible for Tesla's PR and corporate communications departments needs to be replaced by someone who actually knows what the hell they are doing. Elon can be blamed for a lot of things sure, but I just can't imagine he'd have approved this approach and message. If it was Elon than possibly he might want to consider spending some of that new $500 million capital raise on hiring someone, and their team, to take that responsibility off of his plate.

Sometimes Tesla acts as if they haven't sold a single car yet and can get away with communications blunders whenever they want. At some point, in the not so distant future, Tesla is going to have to sharpen up these dull points and start executing their corporate communications, service model changes (such as the ranger service bait and switch), and ownership support in a precise and well thought out manner or Tesla will die by a thousand cuts. It's almost as if Elon is so blown away by "his" own creation that he thinks the car alone will be enough to support the company regardless of any other shortcomings. While that may have been the case a few years ago, it's certainly no longer the case now.

Every company goes through this phase at some point in their early years, especially since the advent of real time mass media capabilities, the successful ones figure out how to get out of this phase while the others don't and fail. I certainly hope Elon isn't too smart for his own good on this.

Jeff

When you receive a letter from company/organization X, you read it and think "WTF!? That doesn't make sense! That's an unfair characterization of me! I don't do that! I know that! How insulting!" it doesn't mean that company X _actually_ thinks that about you. It means that somebody screwed up generation of a mailing list and/or mailing text, or the person was working from a database full of crap data.

This kind of stuff happens a lot. It sometimes makes the news. Wrong people, dead people, children, so many ways generated mailings can go wrong.

When you receive a letter from company/organization X, you read it and think "WTF!? That doesn't make sense! That's an unfair characterization of me! I don't do that! I know that! How insulting!" it doesn't mean that company X _actually_ thinks that about you. It means that somebody screwed up generation of a mailing list and/or mailing text, or the person was working from a database full of crap data.

This kind of stuff happens a lot. It sometimes makes the news. Wrong people, dead people, children, so many ways generated mailings can go wrong.
I think people are used to the old days of sending personalized emails where there is an actual person sending each email, so it gets more personal. In this case it is very clearly a bot sending a mass mail and likely with bad filtering of the data (many false positives). There are plenty of examples of people receiving the email that have barely supercharged, so there is no need to take it personally.

I think people are used to the old days of sending personalized emails where there is an actual person sending each email, so it gets more personal. In this case it is very clearly a bot sending a mass mail and likely with bad filtering of the data (many false positives). There are plenty of examples of people receiving the email that have barely supercharged, so there is no need to take it personally.

It's not a bot that made all the decisions, it's real live human being[s?].

Someone programmed that bot. Someone [else?] chose the criteria for the email. Someone [else?] hit send.

<- have no problem with the wording of the email (never got an email either, heh).

Reminds me of the random throttling that some experienced back in January My car won't charge faster than 60kW

Anyone get the email & get throttled?

Seeing as those previous issues seemed limited to certain areas, it's still unproven as to whether it was a temporary problem or deliberate throttling.

Throttling in general makes no sense whatsoever and in fact will make Supercharging overcrowding worse while not saving any money on electricity.

I received the email, probably since I have used the "local" supercharger a couple times a month since I got my Model S in January.
I probably misinterpreted the "free for life" message as meaning "come and get it", so I'll take some of the blame.

I have one concern with home charging, though.
Recently, after using my 240V home charger and disconnecting the cable, I noticed that the cable was moderately warmer than I expected, but not uncomfortabley so.
I then noticed after that observation (when "abusing" the local SC) that the SC cables they use are much thicker than my home charging cable and the cable was not that warm.
The thickness difference is probably both heavier conductor and insulation because the current delivered by the SC is much higher than I can get through my 40 Amp charger at home.
Nevertheless, whenever I notice that any of my home electric plug wires to any appliance is significantly warmer than the ambient temperature, I get nervous.
Has anyone had a cable meltdown? I should hope my circuit breaker would prevent that.

Does it make much sense to keep this thread alive? This was all speculation about what Elon meant. That is now done, as the actually email has been released.
There is some good (and not good) discussion here though.
Maybe the two threads can be merged?