Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging from Sudbury to Winnipeg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy (longer) answer, 20' boat, 27' enclosed car trailer, car shows with 68 Firebird every other weekend (including 2-3 in US each year), dump runs, 8' Fisher snow plow, 2 commercial properties to plow and 2 houses, moving kids from house to house etc. etc. etc. - who looks after your bubble? (not a Tesla) I will look after my own thx
Denalli ordered, p/u next week - when Ranger won't pick you up (like mine today - in Lawrence, who bye the bye gave me a Dodge Durango loaner :( then call me and I will tow you no charge.

And when I am not doing all that I will put another 60k km on the P85

Open Realistic and Practical minds folks :)

Reactions: doubeld
Easy (longer) answer, 20' boat, 27' enclosed car trailer, car shows with 68 Firebird every other weekend (including 2-3 in US each year), dump runs, 8' Fisher snow plow, 2 commercial properties to plow and 2 houses, moving kids from house to house etc. etc. etc. - who looks after your bubble? (not a Tesla) I will look after my own thx
Denalli ordered, p/u next week - when Ranger won't pick you up (like mine today - in Lawrence, who bye the bye gave me a Dodge Durango loaner :( then call me and I will tow you no charge.

I agree. I keep an F150 around for the same reason. To fully replace pickups on long hauls, you'd need something like a 300 kwh battery. That's not as far out as it seems; It would be possible to put the equivalent of 2 Tesla battery packs into the frame of a full size pickup. And so then we'd need a 50% increase in energy density and of course a substantial reduction in cost. And of course we'd need faster charging. But that's also a solvable problem.

Long before that we will have shorter range pickups for commercial use. There are millions of trucks that run 40-50 km every day for millions of contractors. For a lot of these folks, pickups are simply a depreciating asset and maintenance/operating expense. If E-pickups end up being a smaller number on the P&L (as they eventually will), then you will see mass adoption. I think that we will see a lot of them on the road in urban/suburban areas within 5 years.

Reactions: RAM_Eh and mrElbe

Now that is the kind of thinking I like. I have no problem with people buying trucks if they use them like trucks. They are a necessary tool for certain situations. What drives me nuts are the truck drivers who put a pretty cap over the back of their pickup truck and then drive them around like they are f...ing sports cars, and would put their hands up in horror at the thought of putting a load of leaves in the back, since it might dirty their "the precious".

Reactions: mrElbe
I was in The Lakehead (TBay) yesterday. I flew. My son and I want to go back for a week in the fall fishing. We live in Southern ON. 1500 km away, and we have a 20' fishing boat to tow - SO - this crusade of no more ICE's is over. I am ordering a 2500 GMC Denalli tomorrow (to suppliment the P85D).

So you guys can keep doing your calc's and praying for infrastructure where the road never existed not so long ago (albeit it that infrastructure will come - but not in my lifetime) and in the meantime - I am going fishing.... but if you really have to do that stretch from Sudbury to Winnipeg, give me a call. I have a 27' enclosed trailer and will tow you.

Bottom line - we are not there yet - no technollogy has it quite nailed. My 2 cents....
Somebody should Tweet this to Elon. Maybe that might help speed up things.

I think the best news for _actual_ central Canada Superchargers just happened last week according to SuperCharge.info/TMC in Minnesota. They've got a new permit link halfway to Fargo, ND from Minneapolis. This could be part of a push into Winnipeg.
Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This probably won't affect me directly, but it could be a beachhead North as @AudubonB mentions.

Interesting read. Keep in mind as far as in-between SC gaps go we will also need to eventually factor in battery degradation, especially concerning to the road warriors or other owners who keep their cars for a longer period of time.

That being said, it looks like Tesla pretty much know where they wish to install chargers all along the Trans-Canada HWY so it all seems pretty moot at this time.

I think the best news for _actual_ central Canada Superchargers just happened last week according to SuperCharge.info/TMC in Minnesota. They've got a new permit link halfway to Fargo, ND from Minneapolis. This could be part of a push into Winnipeg.
Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This probably won't affect me directly, but it could be a beachhead North as @AudubonB mentions.
Isn't Fargo what is really needed? It is 183 miles from the SC in Clearwater, MN to Fargo so Alexandria is nice to have, but not as required as Fargo is about 220 miles from Winnipeg so most Telas will be able to do the Fargo - Winnipeg distance in the summer. And with Fargo down you could either go down I-29 to Sioux Falls or I-94 to Minny. With Fargo you could use SCs all the way from Winnipeg to various destinations in the US.

Isn't Fargo what is really needed? It is 183 miles from the SC in Clearwater, MN to Fargo so Alexandria is nice to have, but not as required as Fargo is about 220 miles from Winnipeg so most Telas will be able to do the Fargo - Winnipeg distance in the summer. And with Fargo down you could either go down I-29 to Sioux Falls or I-94 to Minny. With Fargo you could use SCs all the way from Winnipeg to various destinations in the US.

Obviously Fargo, ND is needed, the excitement about seeing Alexandria, MN is that it implies that Tesla's working on I-94. We'd assume that they'll head west from Minneapolis, MN and might also fork at Fargo, ND to Winnipeg, MB.

Reactions: PLUS EV and doubeld