Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging from Sudbury to Winnipeg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be making that run in August this year, (well part of it, Thunder Bay to Toronto), but I am planning two camping stops to make it. I plan on using a few of the 70A suncountry chargers, but not banking on it. And yes, you will get temperatures that are insane, I was in an ICE in the 90's that had a hard time keeping the cabin warm when it is -40C and you are driving at 120kph.

Ryan - I don't get how you come up with 120km when your experience seems to suggest that 180km is more than sufficient, even in very cold weather. And you were on major highways rather than a highway with a speed limit of, at best, 90km/h. And you have a low capacity battery that is lower than is current sold by Tesla.

If we are going to insist that Tesla plan for the absolute worst case scenario then that makes it even less likely to get built as putting SCs every 120km will cost 50% more than putting them every 180km. But maybe Tesla doesn't want to run the risk of the bad publicity that would come if someone runs out of juice somewhere between Marathon and White River when it is -35C and a blizzard is taking place.

By the way, the distance from Comber to Woodstock is 185km and Tesla isn't doing anything to shorten that section so presumably they think that is fine, at least for Southern Ontario.
As rypalmer says, with experience few of us have, shorter intervals are necessary in remote areas with rough weather and mostly non-existent communities along the way. I suggested 180km because the cost of 120km intervals might even be double due to the lack of suitable electrical infrastructure. My unstated assumption is that nobody sane will tackle such a route with less than 400km rated range, so about 200km in lousy conditions. Of course some people will try with less capacity. For their sake I hope they so it in the summer so that their odds will improve...
But why should the Canadian prairies or Northern Ontario be different than North Dakota where Tesla has decided that 160km is the right distance, and occasionally a touch longer?
So, good question. Probably they should not be too much different. Both I-94 and the Trans-Canada are mostly twinned for the distance, so highway conditions will be mostly similar. However, I-94 is much more heavily traveled than is the Trans-Canada in that region. Even Winnipeg has much more North-South traffic than East-West. However much those of us on this thread want to see full coverage on the Trans-Canada I think the reality is of far higher need for the Maritimes and far more robust coverage in major cities where there is significant multi-family housing will less-than-ideal charing options. Given those factors I'll guess we'll see coast-to-coast Canada in time for summer 2019, about the same time we'll see coverage to major Alaska destinations.

In the meantime, from Tesla perspective there are serious higher priorities than these, I suspect. Australia, for example has nothing in the west except for a single planned Perth SC. The Middle East needs a full coverage of all the Gulf States, Kuwait to Oman, with Saudi Arabia included. China needs much, much more, as does Japan. Then we cannot forget many European cities needing urban charging...and on and on. Model 3 and Y will necessitate deep SC infrastructure worldwide including places where reservations were taken at launch but precisely zero infrastructure exists, such as Brazil (a trifle larger than the 48 US States), which will be followed quickly by Argentina, Chile and Peru.

There will be some hard priorities for charging infrastructure as Tesla approaches near-mass-market. I don't know how they'll do it, but I hope they find a way to link Sudbury to Winnipeg. After all it will only be ten or so Superchargers, mostly with, say, four stations or even two. We could maybe even crowd-fund this expansion.

It quite often has to do with where the crossroads are. ND's E-W route SCs are lined up along N-S corridors by the looks of it.

I do agree that Tesla wants to put Superchargers at intersections to give better coverage for their bucks, but towns tend to be at crossroads and river crossings. So when Tesla's looking for good host sites, they're more likely to be found close to intersections.

But back to the thread's topic, I'd suggest looking at 160km or less.
If you look at the Western Canadian Superchargers, current and planed, and go from Surrey, BC to Edmonton, AB, the maximum gaps are 158km and 159km, which are suspiciously close to 100 miles. If you look at the plans in ND, it's all 100 miles or less.
When/if Tesla gets round to it, it might shrink gaps further through the Canadian plains, but I shouldn't expect it.

Also, I'd split up the connections into Subdury, ON to/from Sault Ste. Marie, ON; Sault Ste. Marie, ON to/from Thunder Bay, ON; Thunder Bay, ON to/from Winnipeg, MB. I'd expect that if Tesla's going to do it, they'd work chunk by chunk, making usable connections.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and jbcarioca
I don't expect the crop of mass market EVs coming soon to have any more range than my 70D, soon to be 75D (360-400km). And I do expect late adopters to be more sensitive to inconvenience than us early adopters. For that reason, range charging is to be avoided. More stations sprinkled throughout the network increases its utility over increasing the size of existing stations.

Reactions: jbcarioca
My two cents are that they should take two of the planned Superchargers from the GTA and put one in Sault-Ste-Marie and the other in the Maritimes. One from Montreal should also go to the Maritimes.

Yes, infrastructure is needed for apartment-condo dwellers in the GTA, but there will soon be over 50 CHAdeMO in the area and there will an increase in workplace charging.

Reactions: GSP
My two cents are that they should take two of the planned Superchargers from the GTA and put one in Sault-Ste-Marie and the other in the Maritimes. One from Montreal should also go to the Maritimes.

Yes, infrastructure is needed for apartment-condo dwellers in the GTA, but there will soon be over 50 CHAdeMO in the area and there will an increase in workplace charging.
You are probably quite correct, logically. However, Tesla needs to overcome objections that are often non-logical. Emotionally, Superchargers close to residence will have great direct value in building conquests for Tesla. For those of us who already have Tesla we'd often prefer to have more Superchargers for place to which we travel. So, rational people would fly from Sudbury to Winnipeg. Well, none of us are rational, I suppose. Certainly I'm not. I want Superchargers placed to allow me to go anywhere in the Maritimes and I want them NOW. Next year I want them every 180km or less between Sudbury and Winnipeg. Only then may I make my summer trip from Miami to Halifax to Winnipeg to San Antonio then back to Miami, with Superchargers all the way. I think that is only fair!:cool:

My two cents are that they should take two of the planned Superchargers from the GTA and put one in Sault-Ste-Marie and the other in the Maritimes.[/QUOTE]Just putting one in the Soo isn't that useful unless you expect folks to come up through the states. Sudbury to the Soo is 315km so that would be dicey for a 75, especially going WB into the prevailing wind. Even the run through the states is pretty far as the closest to the Soo is Grayling, Michigan which is 143miles/230km.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Maybe a couple of degrees but not that different.

Average January temperatures:
Thunder Bay, ON is daily mean 6.3F, low -5.1F
Bismarck, ND is daily mean 12.8F, low 2.2F
Using EV Trip Planner, Jamestown, ND to Bismarck, ND (101.8 miles): 1 hour 34 minutes.
Model S60 19"
x1, Cabin 72F, load 200, wind 0mph.
Varying External temperature:
12.8F - 40.4kWh (397Wh/mi)
6.3F - 41.8kWh (410Wh/mi)
2.2F - 42.6kWh (419Wh/mi)
-5.1F - 44.1kWh (434Wh/mi)

That's a loss of about 3 1/2 miles of range over the gap.
So, maybe they drop the ideal spacing closer to 155km.

One thing missing from this conversation is that enhanced auto-pilot will help ease the long journey along this road, and software could manage the situation to provide very direct charging advice and manage speed to get from remote place to remote next place.
That's assuming that you can use the autopilot - which will only work if the road and the car's sensors and cameras aren't covered in snow or ice.

Reactions: mrElbe
But why should the Canadian prairies or Northern Ontario be different than North Dakota where Tesla has decided that 160km is the right distance, and occasionally a touch longer?

160 to 180 would be more than fine.

I know some folks will argue that 180 makes it difficult in the winter with a 60. And it might. But the 60 might not be the right option if that's your use case. Pickups and hatchbacks can't do all of the same things.

Reactions: GSP
In the meantime, from Tesla perspective there are serious higher priorities than these, I suspect. Australia...The Middle East ... Gulf States ... Saudi Arabia ...China ... Europe...Brazil

I would think that the problem with putting in Superchargers is the installation and not the supply. So comparing these places to North America is a non issue. But I very much suspect that Canadian Superchargers are lumped in the same barrel as US ones, unless it is wrong to assume that the crews that install them are more localized than that (I am not talking about the trenching, paving, etc which obviously are local). But even if the Supercharger installation crews are available will all the local contracting be available, for the paving, digging, etc.? This is the major bottleneck I suspect that will put the skids on a rapid Supercharger buildout.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I would think that the problem with putting in Superchargers is the installation and not the supply. So comparing these places to North America is a non issue. But I very much suspect that Canadian Superchargers are lumped in the same barrel as US ones, unless it is wrong to assume that the crews that install them are more localized than that (I am not talking about the trenching, paving, etc which obviously are local). But even if the Supercharger installation crews are available will all the local contracting be available, for the paving, digging, etc.? This is the major bottleneck I suspect that will put the skids on a rapid Supercharger buildout.
Technically I am sure you're correct. However, the primary impediment almost everywhere is permitting, which requires coordination of multiple local processes for electrical, zoning, and even odd local historical issues (in southern France one cannot remove an old olive tree). Those can and do create very long lead times and forced location changes. I seriously doubt that supply of parts or local electrical contractors is a material delay factor overall, despite the logistical issues involved.

I was in The Lakehead (TBay) yesterday. I flew. My son and I want to go back for a week in the fall fishing. We live in Southern ON. 1500 km away, and we have a 20' fishing boat to tow - SO - this crusade of no more ICE's is over. I am ordering a 2500 GMC Denalli tomorrow (to suppliment the P85D).

So you guys can keep doing your calc's and praying for infrastructure where the road never existed not so long ago (albeit it that infrastructure will come - but not in my lifetime) and in the meantime - I am going fishing.... but if you really have to do that stretch from Sudbury to Winnipeg, give me a call. I have a 27' enclosed trailer and will tow you.

Bottom line - we are not there yet - no technollogy has it quite nailed. My 2 cents....

Reactions: RAM_Eh