TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

supercharging is expensive

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by PDFS, Aug 26, 2016.

1. PDFS

PDFS PDF's tesla

I have found that the cost of supercharging is expensive. When I charge at home I plug it in and go in the house. When I am at a supercharger I go into the nearest restaurant or store and buy junk to eat. I normally do not buy lunch but when I am supercharging I always seem to buy lunch. Not only is my wallet hurting but so is my waist line. LOL

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  2. BerTX

BerTX Member

Just wait until you go to a supercharger at an outlet mall location...

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. Boourns

Boourns Member

How about a stationary bike charging attachment? Pull over, bike a few hundred miles, get back in, drive about 10 miles, pull over, repeat. You won't get anywhere very fast, but you will be in shape!

4. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Put a kettle bell in your trunk and do kettle bell swings until your car is done charging, it will be much less expensive in both wallet and waistline.

5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Put a folding bike in your trunk or frunk and the pounds will begin to melt off.

6. thegruf

thegruf Member

lol
    instead of rumors of overpriced eco car wahes at superchargers we will need showers instead.
    I kinda like it.

7. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

I tried all your suggestions but Supercharging is still expensive. I have a spouse who likes to shop, and she has started to rate Superchargers by nearby shopping experiences.

My favorite surprise Supercharger attraction: Can you beat riding the indoor ferris wheel at Scheels in Springfield, IL?

I do think Tesla should hook up an exercise bike with a generator to the Supercharger stations. It would generate so much press, even if you're only adding a tiny fraction of energy to your car. FWIW, humans can sustain a couple hundred watts of power on a bike (more of you are an Olympic athlete, up to 700w for a short time: Watch This Olympic Cyclist Try To Power A Toaster With His Bike).

• Funny x 2
  8. Boourns

Boourns Member

So is my math correct that an Olympic athlete would need to bike at full power for about half an hour to drive his model S one mile? 600w * 30 min = 300wh

• Like x 1
  9. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Deja vu! I recall reading here an almost identical post 2+ years ago. Tried to find it, but hidden in the millions of posts since. Nonetheless, just know, you are not alone. Besides, wouldn't you rather have the temptation of shopping and eating than the alternatives? Cheers!

10. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

That math seems right to me, which means a couple or few hours of pedaling for a regular fit human to add one mile of range. Ouch! But, put a Supercharger next to one of those fitness centers and wire in all their various exercise machines and we're talking!

11. BerTX

BerTX Member

So 30 Olympic atheletes should be able to hit 60 mph?

Probably have to stop more often than every 150 miles to recharge -- not to mention all the potty breaks.

• Funny x 1
  12. Dennisj00

Dennisj00 Member

Fortunately, I do the weekly grocery shopping at the local SC. Usually I get the notification that charging is complete while I'm in the checkout line.