Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging KW Question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 model S.
Why is it when I charge at either a 150 KW OR A 250 KW Supercharger my S
Has never received anywhere near those KW’s
I think the most I ever received I was at 14% SOC and got to 86 KW for about 15 sec!
Inquiring minds want to know!

I have a 2014 model S.
I think the most I ever received I was at 14% SOC and got to 86 KW for about 15 sec!
How long have you owned this car?

Tesla nerfed the charging speeds on the older S's to "protect" the battery.

What you need to do is find the charging curve for your particular car model. In general Teslas will charge faster when the battery is empty and will slow down the charging as the battery fills up. It's thus normal that you would get more power at 14% SOC than say at 60%.
Tesla batteries love to be hot before accepting high power. You need to precondition the battery while driving to the Supercharger, by setting the SC as the destination in the navigation. That might take a good long while so do this well in advance...I mean an hour possibly, or more depending on the temperature outside. A cool battery doesn't accept high power.
Model S has a dedicated heater in the battery if I'm not mistaken. That has failed on some cars. If preconditioning doesn't work well, that might be it.

The charging curve / profile will tell you what theoretical max power you can get at all SOCs.

Snip. That might take a good long while so do this well in advance...I mean an hour possibly, or more depending on the temperature outside. A cool battery doesn't accept high power.
Yeah but sometimes it's still not warm. What I've found works great is just smash the throttle and then release go 90 to 55 then back to 90 like 4-5 times and it will be at the proper temp and the preconditioning aotice will go away.

For the OP what battery do you have the 85s got nerfed but that's really slow.

SilverGS has the answer. It was a software update maybe in 2019? The older S’s have drastically nerfed charging speeds. My 2013 S barely gets 50kW past 40% state of charge and typically settles into the 30s above 50% state of charge.

I’m sure an actuary crunched the numbers and by “protecting” the battery it saved a lot in HV recalls, but I wish out of warranty cars would have the option to prefer speed of charge over range of battery being completely on the owner now.

I’m sure there are also EE reasons. But it’s really been a bummer and besides free supercharging if you’re a local commuter (which now spends MORE time taking up a charging stall) it’s hard to recommend an older S to people. Also somewhat surprising how much some people are asking for them for sale. Nevermind the various hardware that can go on older cars (door handles, delaminating screens, scroll wheels).

I’m not a hater- 236k on my S and it’s showing it’s age lately. But it’s 3.5¢ a mile for me to drive in electricity and more fun than the car it replaced! I will continue to drive it and enjoy!

Typically the nerf'd cars max charging speed formula is if you take the current SoC (%) and add the current charging kwh it typically wouldn't exceed 100-120 in my case. So 14+86 is about right for your peak speed charging ability even at a v3 charger. Late last year it seemed like a software update slightly improved the charging curve for older cars including mine where I would see it holding a higher kw longer.

Reactions: kwjayhawk
What you need to do is find the charging curve for your particular car model. In general Teslas will charge faster when the battery is empty and will slow down the charging as the battery fills up. It's thus normal that you would get more power at 14% SOC than say at 60%.
Tesla batteries love to be hot before accepting high power. You need to precondition the battery while driving to the Supercharger, by setting the SC as the destination in the navigation. That might take a good long while so do this well in advance...I mean an hour possibly, or more depending on the temperature outside. A cool battery doesn't accept high power.
Model S has a dedicated heater in the battery if I'm not mistaken. That has failed on some cars. If preconditioning doesn't work well, that might be it.

The charging curve / profile will tell you what theoretical max power you can get at all SOCs.
Correct. I arrived at my local SC with 13% SoC. 250kW goodness.

Attachments

• IMG_9241.jpeg
    IMG_9241.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 75
The temp in Louisiana has been 95° to 102° for quite a while so I don’t think the battery needed heat.
But, that wasn’t my point.
My point is I’ve never ever got Near or above 100KW even on my trip to Chicago.
Other people on this forum have and I would like to know why my S can’t do it.
My preconditioning is working.

SilverGS has the answer. It was a software update maybe in 2019? The older S’s have drastically nerfed charging speeds. My 2013 S barely gets 50kW past 40% state of charge and typically settles into the 30s above 50% state of charge.

I’m sure an actuary crunched the numbers and by “protecting” the battery it saved a lot in HV recalls, but I wish out of warranty cars would have the option to prefer speed of charge over range of battery being completely on the owner now.

I’m sure there are also EE reasons. But it’s really been a bummer and besides free supercharging if you’re a local commuter (which now spends MORE time taking up a charging stall) it’s hard to recommend an older S to people. Also somewhat surprising how much some people are asking for them for sale. Nevermind the various hardware that can go on older cars (door handles, delaminating screens, scroll wheels).

I’m not a hater- 236k on my S and it’s showing it’s age lately. But it’s 3.5¢ a mile for me to drive in electricity and more fun than the car it replaced! I will continue to drive it and enjoy!
Just curious. Is that the original Battery?

Just curious. Is that the original Battery?
I am on a replaced (refurbished) battery when my original failed one month within warranty. I think it's Rev C.

What's crazy is it was the exact same charging speed and capacity when it came back to me. I was hoping to get lucky and get some fresher pack with more miles. I do plan on using one of the 3rd party companies to move to a 90 back where I've read have less issues with charging speeds do to the battery chemistry.

I hate the "look it up" comment that is so flippant, but in this case browsing this forum shows quite a number of threads about it a few years ago with a software update. I think at one point KMan (youtube and on here) was using a very old software version to prevent it messing with the battery.

I'll restate my wish is that out of warranty batteries be given the rollback if requested knowing any battery failure is of course on the owner. Taking a road trip is near impossible as a family anymore. If it's just me I can work and charge no problem. But for a KC-StL trip it added hours of extra charging that was once a quick charge and go.

I have a 2014 model S.
First, no 2014 S will ever get more than 150 kW charging (more likely a 120 kW limit on an S85) - that was the design limit back in those days (when 150 and 250 kW Superchargers didn't exist). Next, if you have a S 60, then you're going to be limited to about 90 kW. Again this is how your car was designed at the time. Over time, Tesla improved the batteries, charging, and Superchargers to offer higher and higher peak charging times. Rarely was this backward compatible - meaning having a 250 kW Supercharger will still charge your car at a maximum of 90 kW or so so your pack doesn't blow up. You have to buy a newer car to get faster charging with a larger battery.

My Supercharger Superguide may also be helpful in understanding charging: Supercharger SuperGuide – TeslaTap

The temp in Louisiana has been 95° to 102° for quite a while so I don’t think the battery needed heat.
But, that wasn’t my point.
My point is I’ve never ever got Near or above 100KW even on my trip to Chicago.
Other people on this forum have and I would like to know why my S can’t do it.
My preconditioning is working.
I've got a 2015 85D. It can clear 100KW. But just barely and generally only when the battery charge is in the single digits and you have to be watching it because it will ramp up to like 103KW and then immediately back down. Here's the graph from Tessie yesterday. It goes up and back down faster than Tessie graphs it. So at 7% it starts, then next Tessie point is 9% where it's at 99KW. Not positive if that was before or after the 103KW listed on the dash for maybe 2 seconds. Then at 11% it's down to 93KW...
By the time I hit 13% charge, I'm pretty much at my normal rate of roughly 100KW minus the Percent charged.
chargecurve.jpg