Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Supercharging option not enabled" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try contacting [email protected] as well and explain the situation. If Tesla can do a full inspection, including testing as well as an analysis of the repair work that was completed, and all of their tests pass, I would think it could be recertified and the title updated to a valid status (you might have to work with your DMV for that part). Be sure to request that Supercharging be reactivated along with the ability to go to Tesla when your car needs maintenance.

I hope things work out well for you!
Thanks so much! As the story my brother was told was that it had been properly mechanically (not totally cosmetically) repaired and that Tesla had inspected and approved, I would like to see if Tesla has that in their files. My brother did not receive any papers from the previous owner. The tech at the service center said, when I asked if he could find out, he said, well, i'd have to dig really deep for that - and acted like it would be too much trouble. Seems like having been in Dallas and Seattle service centers for various things, anything not ship shape would have been found out and reported to us. It tracks beautifully, so the frame seems ok. To be continued... thanks for support and suggestions!

So u didn’t know u had salvage title ??:eek::eek:....u may want to invest in chademo adaptor next best thing :(
Yes, I knew it had a salvage title - but in all the reading on the Tesla web site before purchasing, I never saw anything about the hazards of buying a salvage title car. And I had been told all repairs had been approved by Tesla. Just figured the salvage title meant you couldn't resell for top dollar, and also why I wasn't paying top dollar. Had no idea I'd be in this situation. Washington State title clearly said salvage, and after transfer, Texas title says salvage. To be continued...

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks so much! As the story my brother was told was that it had been properly mechanically (not totally cosmetically) repaired and that Tesla had inspected and approved, I would like to see if Tesla has that in their files. My brother did not receive any papers from the previous owner. The tech at the service center said, when I asked if he could find out, he said, well, i'd have to dig really deep for that - and acted like it would be too much trouble. Seems like having been in Dallas and Seattle service centers for various things, anything not ship shape would have been found out and reported to us. It tracks beautifully, so the frame seems ok. To be continued... thanks for support and suggestions!

You're welcome!

Sad news is that your brother was misled by a flipper who almost vertical knew better.

Good news is your VIN! I heard about this car not long before your brother bought it - the 007 VIN stuck out and I remarked back then that someone should buy it from Copart and flip it to Elon since he loves Bond so much.

Hopefully the flipper didn't do shoddy body work and maybe you can sell it back to Elon if wk057 or others can't help you root it.

Truly Lucky Seven for you & your one of a kind car. Good luck!

Update on the saga of the salvage titled S-007! From my local SC:

Hi Jamie,

Apologies for not getting back to you right away. Tesla just changed the policy on Salvage 3 weeks ago, so I had to talk to a few technicians about how to proceed. The main story I got from the new policy is that we have to do a vehicle high voltage safety inspection before we deem the vehicle is safe to work on. This does not and Tesla does not guarantee safety or operability of salvage-titled vehicles. This will be at cost to you by the way. Supercharging is turned off, and all warranty (including extended warranty) is voided. It seems like the only possible thing you’ll get is the ota updates if the service center deems that it passes inspection. Let me know how you’d like to proceed once you give it a read below.

I have copy/pasted the snippets from the policy below:

This Unsupported Vehicle Policy applies when a vehicle is found to have a salvage title.

 Tesla does not guarantee the safety or operability of salvage-titled vehicles. After a vehicle has been declared a

total loss or has been classified as a salvage-titled vehicle, repairs performed to bring the vehicle back into

service may not meet Tesla standards or specifications, and any failures, damages, or injuries occurring as a

result of such repairs are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.

 All inspections and repairs of the Salvage-Titled vehicle are at the customer’s expense unless the inspection or

repair is performed in accordance with a recall.

NOTE: Repairs due to recalls will be performed unless the safe repair of the vehicle is prevented either by the

condition of the vehicle or by vehicle modifications not performed by Tesla.

 Any Tesla limited warranties and extended service agreements for the Salvage-Titled vehicle are void.

 Supercharging of the Salvage-Titled vehicle is disabled.

 Parts availability is not affected. Any Unrestricted or Over-the-Counter part may be purchased for a Salvage-Titled

vehicle.

If the vehicle has not passed the Salvage-Titled Vehicle High Voltage Safety Inspection:

 Tesla Service Centers may not perform high voltage system-related maintenance or service on a salvage titled
vehicle before it has passed a “Salvage-Titled Vehicle High Voltage Safety Inspection.” Performing

services or accessing systems and components that are not high voltage, does not require an inspection.

 Tesla Approved Body Shops may perform services or repairs on salvage-titled vehicles. The body shop

may, however, decline to perform any activities on the vehicle, at the discretion of the body shop. If the

vehicle has not passed the Salvage-Titled Vehicle High Voltage Safety Inspection, and the body shop

does perform activities that involve the high voltage systems, the body shop accepts and assumes liability

for all damages and injuries, including without limitation:

o Injuries to repair technicians that might work on the vehicle

o Damage to body shop tools or equipment

o Damage to the vehicle

If the vehicle has passed the Salvage-Titled Vehicle High Voltage Safety Inspection:

 Tesla Service Centers may perform high voltage system-related maintenance or service on the salvage titled

vehicle after it has passed a “Salvage-Titled Vehicle High Voltage Safety Inspection.”

 Tesla Approved Body Shops may perform services or repairs on salvage-titled vehicles. The body shop

may, however, decline to perform any activities on the vehicle, at the discretion of the body shop.

 Any Tesla limited warranties and extended service agreements for the vehicle remain void.

 Supercharging remains disabled.

NOTE: The Service Center may require that additional repairs are performed before the vehicle is deemed to have

passed the Salvage-Titled Vehicle High Voltage Safety Inspection. If repairs are possible, Tesla requires that any

necessary repairs be properly performed at an approved repair facility. If any of the repairs deemed necessary by the

Tesla Service Center are not completed, the vehicle will not successfully complete the Salvage-Titled Vehicle High

Voltage Safety Inspection.

NOTE: Even after a vehicle successfully completes the Salvage-Titled Vehicle High Voltage Safety Inspection, any Tesla

limited warranties and extended service agreements are still void and all future service and repair costs are the owner’s

responsibility.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Took 007 in to the SC this morning for the High Voltage test and the tech greeted me with a hearty "Hi, your bringing in #7 to get the supercharging reenabled!" (we had chatted on an earlier visit - he remarked on the wheels being from Founders' edition, and how #5 is in Dallas.) This will be the first High Voltage test they have done under the new salvage title policy. The service writer told me that yes, after the test, I'd get the over the air updates once again, the ability to bring in for service, and some amount of free supercharging (400 kW?) with paying after the initial free amount used. I told him I had been told that even after the test, I still wouldn't get any supercharging and he said, oh, yeah, he really didn't know - this was all new to him. I hope Tesla does open the supercharging back up, even at a cost! Otherwise, I am local-only driving! Saga continues!

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah, seems crazy that after the high voltage inspection that they still would not allow supercharging. Vehicles get totaled all the time and so in order to reduce insurance costs there needs to be a follow on life to totaled vehicles. Not having supercharging is a major hit to salvage value.

Now with that being said, supercharging is probably the most intensive thing you can do to a battery pack and so even with a full inspection I wonder if they legitimately worry about internal pack damage that they don’t have a way to reasonably inspect. So that is a legit concern.

I suspect the primary driving factor here is avoiding pictures of a Tesla in a massive fireball sitting at a heavily Tesla branded supercharging station.

Once all this intense focus is off and EV’s are mainstream then Tesla will have the cover needed to be able to loosen the policy further I suspect.

Supercharging was standard equipment on cars of this vintage. Tesla has remotely accessesed this car, without the owners permission, and disabled a standard feature (yes, the "supercharging enabled" flag is stored in the car). This is sleazy at best, and probably illegal at worst. At some point, they're likely to be sued over this.

@wk057 may have something to add.

Reactions: wk057
Supercharging was standard equipment on cars of this vintage. Tesla has remotely accessesed this car, without the owners permission, and disabled a standard feature (yes, the "supercharging enabled" flag is stored in the car). This is sleazy at best, and probably illegal at worst. At some point, they're likely to be sued over this.

@wk057 may have something to add.

Interesting callout.

Telling the entire Tesla owned supercharger network to ban your car is one thing, but telling your car it is not allowed to supercharge could be something different entirely.

From a functional standpoint this comes into play if there are ever any non Tesla owned superchargers.

Note that I have often wondered if anyone has managed to convince Tesla to install a private supercharger anywhere.

I have to imagine that there is some ultra rich individual out there that just demanded the fastest possible charging station no matter the cost.

Tesla has been reaching into cars remotely and disabling fast charging on "unsupported" vehicles for years now. This is a practice that, at least on 2015 and earlier cars, that they should simply be sued on.

Up until some time in 2015, "Supercharging" was a window-sticker option on the Model S/X. I'm not sure about you, but I feel like it's illegal for Tesla to play take-backsies with a vehicle's option just because some insurance company decided the car was a total loss (or any other reason). Especially so for cars where it was advertised as an option on the window sticker.

To me, Tesla disabling supercharging on the car after purchase is the same as if they came to your car and, without your permission, decided to remove the carbon fiber spoiler, swap your leather seats with textile, swap your 85 kWh pack with a 60 kWh, or swap out your 21" wheels with 19s. If Tesla did any of these things to your car (removing or downgrading an option) you wouldn't let it slide. Why let it slide on supercharging? It was paid for when the car was bought. There was no supercharging contract or license that the vehicle owner had to sign that waived their ability to use the supercharger network for any reason. If someone has such a document, I'm all ears.

It would be one thing if, as was noted above, if Tesla banned the vehicle at the charger side. They do own the network, and while I think doing so still wouldn't hold up in court, at least they're not modifying someone else's property without permission. Instead, Tesla remotely logs into your car and tells it that it can not fast charge. (Oh, and CHAdeMO doesn't work after this either.) Tesla has no right to modify my vehicle in any way whatsoever without my express permission, yet this is what they're doing to many owners of salvage vehicles without their consent.

Anyway, while if the car were in front of me I could drop it from Tesla's network and re-enable fast charging for you, I'm assuming eventually Tesla is going to go the route of blocking on the charger side as well.

Long story short: Sue Tesla. They've literally stolen from you. You should be made whole and compensated for your trouble. Their anti-consumer practices like this are downright ridiculous and illegal, yet everyone just gives them a pass.

Edit: Also, their new policy regarding "unsupported" vehicles offer NO path to have supercharging re-enabled. None whatsoever, and all of the documents, internal and customer facing, specifically state this. At least the old policy would allow supercharging to be re-enabled after recertification, even though it was a ridiculous and expensive process explicitly designed to make it nearly impossible to get such a recertification.

I've said it before. I love Tesla's products. I absolutely hate the company.

Last edited:
Got the message that 007 passed all of the High Voltage tests and that I needed to come in to sign something for them to now do the service #4 (the low coolant message came on the day I was told about the High Voltage test availability - and they couldn't address the low coolant until the High Voltage test was performed). While in the SC, I glanced at the step by step report (I am to get a full copy of the report) and every system passed and inspections of the frame, suspension, etc., all passed - then I saw at the bottom "No Supercharging Enabled." If it passes all tests by Tesla, why no Supercharging? Anyway, now that they can work on it again, I am getting the servicing done, even if it is to be a local driver. Or if I decide to try and sell it, it will be in full working order.

Another question - I have the leaking lcd screen, with the bubbles. Approximate quote for a replacement screen, $1,200. Or upgrade to LTE MCU with new screen for $2.000 more. I figure I need to replace the screen to keep everything working. Is it the upgrade worth all those bucks?

Another question - I have the leaking lcd screen, with the bubbles. Approximate quote for a replacement screen, $1,200. Or upgrade to LTE MCU with new screen for $2.000 more. I figure I need to replace the screen to keep everything working. Is it the upgrade worth all those bucks?

The LTE upgrade, replacing just the cellular daughter board, should only cost about $500 all by itself. The only reason to consider replacing the MCU is if you are worried about the emmc wearing out causing the MCU to fail to boot/work. (Which on an old Model S is probable.)

But I wouldn't think that it should be $2k more, I thought people had said that it cost about $2,500 for a new MCU/screen.

The LTE upgrade, replacing just the cellular daughter board, should only cost about $500 all by itself. The only reason to consider replacing the MCU is if you are worried about the emmc wearing out causing the MCU to fail to boot/work. (Which on an old Model S is probable.)

But I wouldn't think that it should be $2k more, I thought people had said that it cost about $2,500 for a new MCU/screen.

@MP3Mike - what is the emmc?