Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging or Supercharging enabled??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am buying a used 2014 Model S 85. I am confused about supercharging and supercharging enabled... I am buying it from a non tesla dealer and they really can't answer my question. I want to be able to change quickly at a Tesla Supercharge station. On other cars on their website it actually says Supercharger enabled. I asked Tesla and they said that they can't tell me its features because I am not the owner... yet.

By the features listed will I be able to charge quickly at a Tesla Super charge station ??

Here are the car features listed on the website..

Features
  • Tech Package
  • 85 kWh Battery
  • Supercharging
  • Black Perforamnce Leather Seats
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Carbon Fiber Decor Accents
  • Leather Steering Wheel Trim
  • Cruise Control
  • Audio Steering Wheel Controls
  • ultra High Fidelity Sound Package
  • 17-Inch Touchscreen Display
  • Bluetooth Phone and Audio
  • Dual USB Ports (Media and Charging)
  • HD Radio
  • Cellular Connection
  • Internet Radio
  • WiFi Connectivity
  • Navigation System
  • Rearview Camera
  • Automatic Climate Control
  • Power Windows
  • Power Door Locks
  • Power Exterior Mirrors
  • Keyless Entry
  • Parking Sensors
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Black Brake Calipers
  • 19 Inch Alloy Wheels

Reactions: Retrospected
Yes, you will be able to use the Superchargers and it will be free. But, because you inserted the word "quickly" into your question twice, I want to ensure that there is no confusion created or left in this regard. There is a single supercharging speed, and you will get that speed, when you supercharge. Some Superchargers will be faster than others, and some Superchargers will be faster than others at particularly times and under certain conditions, but you and anyone else who can Supercharge will get all of it.

But whether it's "quickly" will depend a lot on your expectations. When the Supercharger is working very well and your car has a low charge on it, you may get 170 miles of added range in the first 30 minutes. As your charge increases, or if there is a car charging next to you or if the supercharger is not working particularly well or if it is older, your rate of charge can be substantially slower at a Supercharger.

Reactions: Retrospected
I am buying a used 2014 Model S 85. I am confused about supercharging and supercharging enabled... I am buying it from a non tesla dealer and they really can't answer my question. I want to be able to change quickly at a Tesla Supercharge station. On other cars on their website it actually says Supercharger enabled. I asked Tesla and they said that they can't tell me its features because I am not the owner... yet.

By the features listed will I be able to charge quickly at a Tesla Super charge station ??

Here are the car features listed on the website..

Features
  • Tech Package
  • 85 kWh Battery
  • Supercharging
  • Black Perforamnce Leather Seats
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Carbon Fiber Decor Accents
  • Leather Steering Wheel Trim
  • Cruise Control
  • Audio Steering Wheel Controls
  • ultra High Fidelity Sound Package
  • 17-Inch Touchscreen Display
  • Bluetooth Phone and Audio
  • Dual USB Ports (Media and Charging)
  • HD Radio
  • Cellular Connection
  • Internet Radio
  • WiFi Connectivity
  • Navigation System
  • Rearview Camera
  • Automatic Climate Control
  • Power Windows
  • Power Door Locks
  • Power Exterior Mirrors
  • Keyless Entry
  • Parking Sensors
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Black Brake Calipers
  • 19 Inch Alloy Wheels
I'm looking at a SP85 today too, which is from a Ford dealers used lot. It's interesting to see how some Tesla's end up there, but the sales team really has no idea what they're selling. Did you ask a service center to perform a PPI for you, or are you just risking it?

I am buying from vroom... they seem to have good prices and hey have a 7 day no questions asked return policy. Its not the best way to buy but... I had 2 friends buy from them and everything went well for them. They don't have the best reviews but gong off my 2 friends experience I am willing to give it a try.

Typically? Outrageously.

At home, you might get 15 miles of range for every hour you are connected. Some cars with some home set ups will do somewhat better. But you will never, no matter what, get 170 miles of range at home in 30 minutes.
No, a Model S 85 will get 29 miles range per hour when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, charging at 240V 40A.

Never did I mean that I would get 170 miles in 30 minutes at home... My expectations are that the Supercharger will charger faster than what I have at home.... So whatever I get at a super charger I will be happy with.
I was referring to the 15 miles/hr being incorrect for a 240V outlet installation, assuming it’s the Tesla-recommended NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit. It’s 29 miles/hr.

I plugged in a loaner at a Supercharger for the first time over the weekend and was amazed that the car got 130+ miles in 30 minutes. It was so quick. It also drove home the point that there is no need really to install a charging station at the home - provided the Supercharger is relatively close. In my case it is <10 miles away.

I plugged in a loaner at a Supercharger for the first time over the weekend and was amazed that the car got 130+ miles in 30 minutes. It was so quick. It also drove home the point that there is no need really to install a charging station at the home - provided the Supercharger is relatively close. In my case it is <10 miles away.
Yes there is. It’s a whole different experience owning a Tesla when it charges overnight when you’re sleeping. You’re still thinking in gas station mode. Would you take your phone somewhere every few days and sit there for 30 minutes while it charges?

All you really need is some sort of 240v outlet. 14-50 preferred. The car comes with a plug.

You will be much happier coming out to a “full” car every morning.

Yes there is. It’s a whole different experience owning a Tesla when it charges overnight when you’re sleeping. You’re still thinking in gas station mode. Would you take your phone somewhere every few days and sit there for 30 minutes while it charges?

And, when you think of it this way, instead of spending 40 or 50 minutes charging (at the Supercharger), at home you are only spending about 10 seconds charging, because then you go into the house for the night.

Good points indeed. Curious to see what people have paid to get a charger installed in the garage. I have a 2 story home with a basement, so the electric box is located in the basement opposite side of the garage. I assumed it would be close to at least $2,000-$3,000 plus the cost to fix drywally, re-paint etc. But, yeah, TexasAV would be nice to wake up and have a full charge.

I just took delivery a few weeks ago. In Chicago, the weather has dipped into the 30's and I'm already experiencing range loss. Thankfully there is a lot of good info on this site to help manage that.

I'm back here to update that I did in fact purchase a HPWC and had it installed the other day. The range loss, coupled with the bad weather, had me thinking that traveling to the Supercharger each week could be pain in the rear. I had an electrician run a 60 amp circuit to the garage with a 125 amp sub-panel. This would allow me to upgrade in the future. Total cost was $1,900. I received the 35 miles/hr that was advertised on Tesla's site. I should have listened to you all before. Today was the first morning I drove with a full car in the cold. It's a completely different feeling. Scheduled charging allowed me to take advantage of a variable price for electricity my electric company offers. At one point during the 3-4 am time frame, electricity was less than a penny.

Appreciate all the advice here. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171211-170010.png
    Screenshot_20171211-170010.png
    904.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot 2017-12-13 at 7.35.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-13 at 7.35.01 PM.png
    350 KB · Views: 87