Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Price - What if it is $2500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please note that originally, the fee charged to Model S 60 owners was $2,000 at the time of order, and $2,500 after Delivery -- for the DC Fast Charging Hardware that allowed the car to use Superchargers. The Supercharger network itself was always meant to be FREE of additional fees, for LIFE, the life of the car. So, no one was paying for the Supercharger network. They were paying to access it, by paying for the DC Fast Charging Hardware and its installation.

At some point it was determined that it was easier to simply include the DC Fast Charging Hardware in every car at the time of manufacture. So the fee became a software unlock instead of a hardware installation fee. And ever since, each and every Tesla Motors product has included the hardware to Supercharge, even if it were not active.

Remember: Tesla Motors expected to sell roughly 15,000 of the Model S per year, worldwide, if they were lucky, back in 2012. Their first full calendar year, they sold 22,000 worldwide. 31,000 in 2014, and another 50,000 in 2015. So, over the course of 3-1/2 years, they sold the equivalent of 7 years worth of cars. I believe that well over 95% of those included the DC Fast Charging Hardware.
Actually all of the cars have it. It became a software unlock rather than a hardware installation fee before the first 60s were delivered.

The consensus amongst the attendees?

Not exactly ... drawn your own conclusions.

IMG_5194.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    641.1 KB · Views: 29
I wouldn't touch a Model 3 if subscription SC access was the only option.

Most of the poo-poo* contingent evidently do not own Model S/X now. You can visit 30-40 SC per week when traveling - easily.

Even a seasonal SC subscription, given that reality, would soon cease to be cost-effective relative to a simple one-time, up front cost amortized over, say, 3 years.

A subscription for "occasional use" wouldn't be cost effective relative to, for example, AeroVironment's existing $19.95/month unlimited use plan for full-strength, fully-functional ChaDeMo.

So... what's the point other than to introduce friction into a frictionless system to address, at most, a 3% problem solely in areas of density? Triple the impact and it approaches being a 10% problem. Bleh.

As I've typed before, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer trial 30-day packages similar to DriverAssist (AP) now.

Here's one for the other side - even though 2/3 of homes in the US have garages, and even though 4 years on, the network is 97% fine and the other 3% is fine the majority of the time, at what point do the poo-pooers predict network saturation? Put some dates around the doom and gloom and let's see how it shakes out.

* poo-poo = ppu = pay per use

Reactions: Red Sage and jkk_
Descriptors and qualifiers. So many focus on a single word when 'quoting' Elon Musk, always carefully leaving out the words before, or after, that particular word. I don't understand the need to constantly 'interpret' what he says, when he has already described and qualified it with his statements. Then someone wants to say what he 'plainly' means, without noting their own plainly obvious omission. C'mon, MAN!

The cost of car ownership does indeed included tires and windshield fluid, but the bigger costs are depreciation and insurance. Those dwarf the fuel cost. From my unscientific look at 3 year old "S" - they have depreciated about $1,000/mo. Its tough to follow exactly, as newer models have desirable features that the older fellows did not have (AP) but this seems to be in the ballpark. In context, two months of ownership = price of SC.
I see no reason why the M3 would depreciate any different than other cars on the street. Its desirability may dampen the decline, but its charging issues may heighten the decline. I call it a draw and will allocate $800-1,000 /month decline.

Elon confirmed the existence of a "lifetime plan" for the 3. We just don't know the details yet.
Elon has confirmed a lot of things that didn't come to fruition. Look at my tag under my avatar. That's in reference to the next generation Roadster that Elon implied would be coming soon. The part deux came out and it wasn't mentioned as the next model (and sensibly, it shouldn't be). At the GF event he wound up admitting it's probably very, very far in the future. Heartbroken is too extreme a description for how I felt, but I was definitely disappointed. I suppose one of my 3 reservations will execute as whatever ludicrously sporty model is offered.

I'm not changing my tagline, though!

Next year...less than 6 months away, LOL. If news could get in by end of December 2016 (if not earlier) that would make it so much easier to plan finances.

I really think the timeline is falling in to place where we get Reveal Part 2 in early December.

Configurator "go-live" in April/May.

Suppliers due to be ready to go on July 1.

Employees and West Coast current owners start seeing their 3's next September/October.

And full ramp can begin after any early kinks get worked out.

Q1 2018 is my best guess for many of us seeing our cars.

You are correct - "Package" was the term used.
"Package" seems like the go-to word used for options on cars, so I would think that implies a one-time cost over some sort of subscription or pay-as-you-go model.

I'm betting you'll be able to choose if you want a lifetime package, subscription plan, pay-as-you-go, whatever. There will be choices because having choices costs Tesla nothing extra and makes the car more accessible. I'm sure anything that's not the lifetime package will also spill over to current classic S60 owners.

"Package" seems like the go-to word used for options on cars, so I would think that implies a one-time cost over some sort of subscription or pay-as-you-go model.

I'm betting you'll be able to choose if you want a lifetime package, subscription plan, pay-as-you-go, whatever. There will be choices because having choices costs Tesla nothing extra and makes the car more accessible. I'm sure anything that's not the lifetime package will also spill over to current classic S60 owners.
Once again, processing multiple financial transactions per car over the course of years will cost more than processing a single one at the time of purchase.