Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit that my main reason for buying the model 3 was not to save the planet, sorry, I bought it because of the cool tech, great handling and justified some of it's shortcomings (track record for service problems, build quality compared to Euro, Luxury interior compared to Euro) by saying,"hey I get over 100 mpg!" which I still do at home, This is by far my favorite car that I have ever owned even over my previous favorite BMW's and i'm cool with paying whatever for the convenience of Supercharging when road tripping, and even though I did not buy the car to BE green it still does feel better to know that it is helping in some small way as I do like clean air and water!

I think that its just fantastic - how many reasons there are to Love a Tesla.

I wouldn't have bought Model 3 if everything is about cost. It's about making a statement and believe in the idea that we need to move away from fossil fuel to a sustainable energy society to avoid climate change disaster

So far there's little that is sustainable about Tesla. The unique thing about Tesla was that it captured the interest of a broad spectrum of potential clients, those who wanted performance, those who wanted a lower TCO and those who wanted to feel better by getting behind some random "cause" or "mission". Even with all of these segments in place, they failed to build a sustainable business so far. Should any of these demand pillars fall, there're done, i.m.o., and I think this "it's cheaper to run than a gas car" is the most important one of all, because it resonates with everyone.

Rather than pull this fast one, I think they'd be better served by focusing on stabilizing what they have. Yes trim all the accumulated "fat" (as despicable as letting go of just-hired people is), put some freakin' software together (no need to build anything, there are plenty of us on the sides with ready-to-deploy solutions that can help enormously) and help everyone in the organization talk to each other and work together such that delivering a car does not take months and having it fixed actually happens in whatever time it takes to perform the labor, rather than endlessly waiting for parts and such. Screw the 35K car, if they can't build one that is not crap at 55K, there's no reason to believe that one at 35K would be decent. Make the best Mercedes competitor at 50K and sell it to the entire world. The 35K buyer is too price sensitive anyway and Tesla is not quite a replacement for a real car yet. It would surely look a lot closer to a true alternative if the 35K buyer could justify it by saying that it costs less to run in the long run. Taking that away from them (even if it's just perception, since most charging is indeed cheaper 'cause it's done at home), will not increase demand for the 35K car, it may actually decrease it.

They are related to the local electricity costs, and potentially some other metric now that we are unaware of (because they vary from station to station now, not just state to state). The website now says $.31/kWh everywhere in places where they can charge that way. If, say, Texas is one of those places (as I can’t see costs in my car), that is way more expensive than the cost of gas, which was at $2 when I was there over Christmas.
Texas is a cost per minute state, which I think is mandated by electricity regulation. The Tesla website says it's $.14/minute at/below 60 kW and $.28/minute above 60 kW. My 2018 charges were at $.10 and $.20. I can live with that--but I had better see a Supercharger in Arkadelphia, AR and in Clayton, NM in 2019! :)

The cheapest gasoline in my area is about $1.80/gallon. But the problem is, I can't put gas in my Model 3 LR, so it's moot. And charging at home is still $.081/kWh, so cheap-cheap-cheap.

Just checked the prices on the map here in the South Bay Area. The chargers are now $0.35/kWh, Cupertino and San Mateo are even $0.36. :confused:
I can see urban dwellers without a home solution will be unhappy. Most everyone else benefits. I would hesitate to take a Tesla trip to the Bay Area because of bad current and even worse future Supercharging overcrowding.

Will less apartment dwellers buy Teslas? Perhaps but that may be one unfortunate consequence of making the Supercharger concept work for the masses.

Texas is a cost per minute state, which I think is mandated by electricity regulation. The Tesla website says it's $.14/minute at/below 60 kW and $.28/minute above 60 kW. My 2018 charges were at $.10 and $.20. I can live with that--but I had better see a Supercharger in Arkadelphia, AR and in Clayton, NM in 2019! :)

The cheapest gasoline in my area is about $1.80/gallon. But the problem is, I can't put gas in my Model 3 LR, so it's moot. And charging at home is still $.081/kWh, so cheap-cheap-cheap.
Nope. You have to look at individual Superchargers in your car. $.14 and $.28 are averages as the bullet points above the rates on the website note.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Most people do most of their charging at home or other slow charger installations, Superchargers are to eliminate range anxiety and make Teslas fully functional personal vehicles that can practically be used on long trips. Without the Supercharging network, Tesla would be in the same bin with all the compliance cars intended only for local travel, with it, they very successfully compete against ICE vehicles.

Currently, Tesla is trying to become a long term viable company producing many more vehicles. To appeal to a wider customer base to make that work, they need to scale up the Supercharger network (and Service Centers) for both volume and coverage. TANSTAAFL.

This is the end of Tesla. The supercharging network was their only advantage over other competition coming up such as Audi, Vw, BMW, or even GM. Now that it costs the same to drive your Tesla as a 30mpg car, people will no longer buy a Tesla.

I had confidence that Tesla could pull this off and believe they are year's ahead of the competition. But people buy what is more practical in terms of price. That is why Japanese cars took over in the gas crisis of the 70s...they were better made, cheaper, and more cost effective than what American companies we're making. Same will happen here... Tesla will become the new Detroit. Their reliability is lower than others, quality is lower (panel gaps, etc) and I know if this isn't reversed, we will be going to a different company for our next EV in 2020. Tesla needs to wake up!

Oh and everyone keeps stating they bought a Tesla not because of cost but because to make a statement. You realize that buying a Chevy bolt or Audi etron is still making that same statement? When VW comes out with thier $25000 EV, it will easily outsell Tesla and make a statement...

I wouldn't go to that extent.... but I do see this as a mute point now when trying to sale someone on Tesla. Unfortunately, you can NOT sale a EV without convenient charging infrastructure. That is a blanket fact when considering majority of purchasers decision making.

By raising the rates to what almost seem extraordinarily high, you run the risk of selling less cars and helping sale the Hybrid model which is gas on road trips ev for daily commute or best of both worlds.

Tesla did not become mass market popular because they made it expensive and inconvenient to charge.. they made it to mass market because fast charging was free and made up for the initial inconvenience.

Reactions: APotatoGod
This is the end of Tesla. The supercharging network was their only advantage over other competition coming up such as Audi, Vw, BMW, or even GM. Now that it costs the same to drive your Tesla as a 30mpg car, people will no longer buy a Tesla.

I had confidence that Tesla could pull this off and believe they are year's ahead of the competition. But people buy what is more practical in terms of price. That is why Japanese cars took over in the gas crisis of the 70s...they were better made, cheaper, and more cost effective than what American companies we're making. Same will happen here... Tesla will become the new Detroit. Their reliability is lower than others, quality is lower (panel gaps, etc) and I know if this isn't reversed, we will be going to a different company for our next EV in 2020. Tesla needs to wake up!

Oh and everyone keeps stating they bought a Tesla not because of cost but because to make a statement. You realize that buying a Chevy bolt or Audi etron is still making that same statement? When VW comes out with thier $25000 EV, it will easily outsell Tesla and make a statement...
You forget that this is what Elon’s goal was, make everyone else come up with electric vehicles. I do not believe that the supercharging network was their only advantage, how about the most beautiful electric car made, how about software upgrades in your garage, how about getting you car repaired at home, how about no oil changes and minimal maintenance. The Japanese took over because they sold cars in this country at below cost to get market share. Do not get me wrong they make some very reliable vehicles, you should buy one.

While I smile thinking that my FSL Model X just went up in value, I think the real reason that Tesla is raising their charging rates is so that they can borrow against this income stream to help them roll out the Model Y, Pickup, Semi and Roadster, as well update existing Superchargers to the V3 higher speed chargers.

Perhaps the faster charging option of V3 will be more valuable to travelers than getting the cheapest pricing. Perhaps Tesla will even multi tier their Superchargers depending on selected charging speeds, kinda like gas stations that charge different prices for regular, mid-grade and premium fuels.

They own the entire Supercharger network, so are able to leverage it to their best benefit.

I imaging that in the future they also could re-install some free Supercharger access to promote additional sales from time to time.

Believe that they have a master plan strategy that will allow them to roll out even more Supercharger locations while being financially prudent.

Reactions: MARKM3

Do not come to California to get gas, $3.15 for regular.

Why not use mass transportation? Bike?
Lots of ways around not owning a vehicle.

Because they're all *sugar*. This is the type of comment commonly made by those who do NOT rely on public transportation or by those who otherwise bike to work 'cause they have the extra hour since there's no toddler waiting to be picked up at daycare and such.

If life really worked the way some envision it, we'd be extinct in no time.

... Superchargers are to eliminate range anxiety and make Teslas fully functional personal vehicles that can practically be used on long trips.
Not true. This would be an accurate statement until a couple years ago when Tesla decided to try to at least partially meet needs of urban dwellers with no charging solution. Of course, unless fees are jacked way up, urban chargers can’t be built fast enough.

The new rate structure hits every Supercharger site I think, but appears to hit urban sites more heavily. I’m glad I don’t have to face the challenges of trying to own a car in a dense urban location like San Francisco or NYC. But I don’t see how Tesla can ever meet the needs of those folks so I think it will be increasingly more challenging for them as sales accelerate and urban Supercharger needs cannot possibly keep up.