Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a guess? It's actually more expensive than the winter peak time rate on the residential PG&E EV-A plan, and about 2.5 times the off-peak rate. It's more than 3 times as expensive as the commercial rate that the company I work for gets.
What if you include the cost of the EVSE, outlet, wiring, electrician, and permit in the home cost. Amortized over a reasonable period? Of course these costs are all over the place...

in my case I spent $1200 on the home charging setup. I’ve had the S since March 2017 and paid roughly $30 a month. So $600 on electricity and $1200 on infrastructure thus far.

People that had a house with a 14-50 are ahead of the game!

Then bike. You drive 1.5 hours a day?
Ride it. How many miles are we talking about? I agree if you live over 75 km from work riding can be time you may not have.
24 km with 365m of elevation changes. I do cycling on weekend but only on bike trail. Too many close call riding along with cars and I treasure my life.

One way commute time under an hour in Los Angeles is decent, most people spend more than an hour everyday getting to work.

What if you include the cost of the EVSE, outlet, wiring, electrician, and permit in the home cost. Amortized over a reasonable period? Of course these costs are all over the place...
I use an existing dryer outlet. The only cost was $35 for Tesla's NEMA 10-30 adapter and a few dollars for a switch box that I built.

But in general, if we assume that getting a home charging solution installed is expensive, it's just another argument against EVs in the eyes of a potential buyer.

If I knew nothing about the history of supercharging and pricing, and someone asked me what SHOULD Tesla charge for supercharging, I would say:

More than the local electric rate, because:

1) the convenience of being able to charge on the road
2) the speed at which the electricity can be delivered to the car

Both of these things feel like they command a premium over the local electric rate.
Agreed. But a convenience and speed factor has limits. My Iowa home electric rate is actually 7.5 cents per kWh. So when Tesla charged 16 cents a week ago, I thought that was fair because it’s double the home utility rate. Businesses like Google (that runs the world’s largest server system out of Council Bluffs, Iowa) have negotiated commercial rates as low as 3 cents per kWh. (Tesla likely pays a commercial rate of about 6 cents in Iowa, plus minimal demand charges.) But Tesla now doubling the Supercharging rate to 31 cents is QUADRUPLE the home charging rate in Iowa. So that’s killing my talking points with friends and strangers alike when I try to extol the virtues of buying a Tesla and saving on vehicle operating costs per mile.

Yes but it does make you wonder what the logic is. At first this was actually a showstopper for us. Now not so much as it looks like the Tesla network will serve most of our needs. But it is a limiting factor and Chademo/CCS is much better built out than the Supercharger in our province.

The other thing that is in the back of our minds is that what happens if Tesla fails? Now there is no access to fast charging period. One would hope that the Supercharger network would be bought by someone but what happens if they buy it to dismantle it? Paranoid for sure but you know...just sayin. I do not see any good reason to limit the 3 to Supercharger only.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Agreed. But a convenience and speed factor has limits. My Iowa home electric rate is actually 7.5 cents per kWh. So when Tesla charged 16 cents a week ago, I thought that was fair because it’s double the home utility rate. Businesses like Google (that runs the world’s largest server system out of Council Bluffs, Iowa) have negotiated commercial rates as low as 3 cents per kWh. (Tesla likely pays a commercial rate of about 6 cents in Iowa, plus minimal demand charges.) But Tesla now doubling the Supercharging rate to 31 cents is QUADRUPLE the home charging rate in Iowa. So that’s killing my talking points with friends and strangers alike when I try to extol the virtues of buying a Tesla and saving on vehicle operating costs per mile.

That's really only the case if those friends aren't going to charge at home much.

(and even then it remains cheaper than gas)

Reactions: CaptainJ
24 km with 365m of elevation changes. I do cycling on weekend but only on bike trail. Too many close call riding along with cars and I treasure my life.

One way commute time under an hour in Los Angeles is decent, most people spend more than an hour everyday getting to work.

Its your choice. A 24km ride is about the perfect distance for a morning commute. And you don't have -35 to deal with.
Less than 50 minutes on a road bike doddling along.

For a typical 30 min. charge I add approx. 40 kWh and the average charge rate is approx. 80 kw, $0.35 per mi. plus $1.00 connection is $11.50 and at Tesla's stated $0.31 per kw thats $12.40 so pretty close and the advantage goes away if you need to top off more to get more range, also Electrify America states clearly this is their "Introductory rate"

Electrify America DC fast charging stations display clear, up-front pricing. Electrify America charging will include the following elements: $1.00 session fee + per minute charging cost + idle fee of $0.40/minute (if applicable). Our introductory charging cost pricing is $0.30 to $0.35 per minute of charging.
Your arithmetic is a mess.

Tesla (per your stated average 80 kW):
1.33 kWh per 28 - 31, so 21 - 23 cents a kWh
I average 100 kW at a Supercharger so it works out to 12.5 - 14 cents a kWh
At EA over 30 minutes you will pay $1 + $0.35*30 = $11.5 for perhaps 22 kWh, so 52 cents a kWh

And let me remind you all: Those Superchargers are being paid for by Tesla owners while the EA stations were paid for by VW. Walmart only pays for the electricity.

At EA over 30 minutes you will pay $1 + $0.35*30 = $11.5 for perhaps 22 kWh, so 52 cents a kWh

And let me remind you all: Those Superchargers are being paid for by Tesla owners while the EA stations were paid for by VW. Walmart only pays for the electricity.

In CA Supercharger fees are per kw at $0.31 now and not on a per minute charge so this is not a variable.

Not quite sure where you think I went wrong but FOR ME when I charge on the road I am trying to go from 20% to 80% in approx. 30 minutes and that gives me approx. 40 kWh added to my battery (average speed is 80 kw per hour based on what the car will accept) which Tesla at the newly stated price of $0.31 per kw will be $12.40

The new CCS chargers rated at 150 kw will still only add that same 40 kWh to my battery based on what my car will take in 30 min. so 30 x $0.35 is $10.50 plus the $1 connection fee, am I missing something here? seems pretty straight forward to me.

This video
shows a model 3 charging from 0% (which I would never do) to 65% before video was spliced to another charging session and he added 49 kw for an average speed of 93 kw per hour, most people traveling are at best going to average 80 kw per hour average charging rates.

Maybe you were thinking of the old 50 kw charge speed?

I am fine with the charges being similar and would use the supercharger over an EA station anytime but it would be nice to have a CCS adapter if it was possible to do for the convenience of having additional options if overcrowding in a particular area was the case.

Last edited:

What kind of nonsense calculation is this? If you used, say, an Audi e-Tron (which can charge at up to 150kW at EA stations) you'd receive more kWh in 30 minutes than at the supercharger. If there ever is a US version of a Tesla CCS adapter, one would hope it will support more than a paltry 44kW.

In CA Supercharger fees are per kw at $0.31 now and not on a per minute charge so this is not a variable.

Not quite sure where you think I went wrong but FOR ME when I charge on the road I am trying to go from 20% to 80% in approx. 30 minutes and that gives me approx. 40 kWh added to my battery (average speed is 80 kw per hour based on what the car will accept) which Tesla at the newly stated price of $0.31 per kw will be $12.40

The new CCS chargers rated at 150 kw will still only add that same 40 kWh to my battery based on what my car will take in 30 min. so 30 x $0.35 is $10.50 plus the $1 connection fee, am I missing something here? seems pretty straight forward to me.

This video
shows a model 3 charging from 0% (which I would never do) to 65% before video was spliced to another charging session and he added 49 kw for an average speed of 93 kw per hour, most people traveling are at best going to average 80 kw per hour average charging rates.

Maybe you were thinking of the old 50 kw charge speed?

I am fine with the charges being similar and would use the supercharger over an EA station anytime but it would be nice to have a CCS adapter if it was possible to do for the convenience of having additional options if overcrowding in a particular area was the case.
No. Go back to the Tesla webpage and read the bulletpoints. $.31 is an estimated average. You now have to look at each site on your car screen. In the LA area prices range from $.30 to $.36 I think.

Reactions: MP3Mike