Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging station constant usage Is it BAD for Battery life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned my X100D in less than 2 weeks now. I don't drive much during the week but I do make a trip to central coast california every week. There is a supercharging station just down the street from my house. What I typically do is charge my X to 80% on Sunday and this would last me until Friday morning and never fall below 50%. On Friday I would then use supercharger to charge it to 80% and go home and charge the rest to 100% for Friday night trip to central coast.

As you can see, all my charging needs can be accomplished with supercharging station.

Is charging from home ( less amp charging) really different than charging at supercharging station ( high amp charging)? Since I own my X, I would like to extend and protect battery life as much as possible.

Overall, If I continue to use supercharging station for all my charging needs will it hurt my car battery in the long run?

your comments will be greatly appreciated

Locals who use supercharging for most of their charging needs when they can easily charge at home will definitely take a hit in battery life. People who use superchargers on long distance trips, or who live in apartments without access to charging, will do just fine.

In your last statement, for those who live in apartments without access to charging would do just fine is conflicting. I don't see the difference between apartment users that purely uses superchargers for their needs vs home users that chooses to purely use superchargers for their needs.

what would be the difference if I charge at home to 80% on Sunday(only once) and the charge never falls below 50% then charge on Friday using supercharger back to 80% anticipating the trip, finishes rest 20% at home before the trip.

what you are indicating is superchargers due to it's high voltage the more frequent you use it, it will hurt battery life? Am I correct to make this assumption?

if this is correct, Tesla company should have some sort of warning to their superchargers. In my case, I would have to use the supercharger regardless due to weekly trip to central coast.

Reactions: beachmiles
I think the answer was sarcastic :)

There’s no official statement on routine supercharging and impact on battery life but it has been discovered on certain 90kWh packs that after a large number of CHAdeMO charges it starts throttling your charging speed. And that number only seemed plausible to hit because that owner charged nearly daily.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over once a week supercharging but I would ask tesla just so that you get an answer in writing.

So urban chargers max out at 75kw, this is likely done on purpose so city dwellers (without access to home charging) do not exceeed 100kw on a regular basis and is likely part of the BMS logic for those who “fast charge” only.

The thought being you still get a decent charge rate and the battery stays in good shape.

Local chargers concerned about battery longevity might consider seeking out these urban chargers.

Reactions: Wanderer and CarlK
So urban chargers max out at 75kw, this is likely done on purpose so city dwellers (without access to home charging) do not exceeed 100kw on a regular basis and is likely part of the BMS logic for those who “fast charge” only.

The thought being you still get a decent charge rate and the battery stays in good shape.

Local chargers concerned about battery longevity might consider seeking out these urban chargers.

Possible relation, but FWIW, even 50 kWh CHAdeMO charging had been known to trigger DC charge throttling limitations in Teslas, see: If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

You’ll be fine.

You’re only supercharging 1-2x per week, and never supercharging above 80% at that. Maybe it’ll have zero effect; maybe it’ll have some minor effect, like losing 8% capacity over 100k miles instead losing 6% capacity. Not worth thinking about, let alone changing your behavior.

Even in terms of following the spirit of the policy, you’re using most of the supercharging for long-distance travel, which is why the supercharging system was built in the first place.

Locals who use supercharging for most of their charging needs when they can easily charge at home will definitely take a hit in battery life. People who use superchargers on long distance trips, or who live in apartments without access to charging, will do just fine.

While I appreciate the joke, in all seriousness, DC charge throttling seems to affect everyone constantly DC fast charging.