Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging throttling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 18 75D with about 33k miles on it. I went to a large 150kw supercharger in Wa state and with nobody else there, at 75 miles range left charging went briefly to about 105kw then within 2 min started dropping. In 5 min itwit at under 70. I read before about throttling on this forum but I was expecting this much later in the car's life. Is there any way to address this?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a June 18 75D with about 33k miles on it. I went to a large 150kw supercharger in Wa state and with nobody else there, at 75 miles range left charging went briefly to about 105kw then within 2 min started dropping. In 5 min itwit at under 70. I read before about throttling on this forum but I was expecting this much later in the car's life. Is there any way to address this?

It’s entirely possible that your slow speeds were due to a problem with the charger and not with your car. The next time it slows down like that, try moving to another stall.

Lots of rants about slow Supercharging. It appears that software update has slowed Supercharging.
I have observed slowing of Supercharging but it's reasonable and I'm happy to have longer battery life.
Most recent Supercharging (2015 85D)
Plugged in with battery at 15% (warm battery after a 50 mile drive).
Started to charge at 102 kW which is a little less than the 110 kW I usually get.
Ramped down quickly to 80 kW (faster ramp down than usual) then slower taper to 50 kW for final charge to 80%.
Total time from 15% to 80% was 35 minutes.
I think this is slower than in the past but is perfectly acceptable so I'm not going to rant.

:) D will never happen...
Not about the charge throttling directly, but since Tesla themselves alreadt went on the record saying it was done to address a stationary fire problem that still needs to be recalled and the NHTSA is already investigating the updates themselves (not just the fires, but Tesla's software response that includes charge throttling) something will happen eventually. Apple was eventually required to offer replacement batteries at a significant discount, and theirs weren't even in warranty or under strict federal vehicular safety regulations

As in you NEVER get anything over 70kWH even if your SoC is low when you start? My P85D has certainly seen a slow down, but if I’m at, say, 10%, I still get 117kWH for a few mins before it tapers quickly after 10mins.

You will get 70, maybe more for a few seconds before it drops to 60kW or less even at 10%. If you are on an older firmware, stay there forever. If you are on a newer firmware, keep sacrificing whatever to whoever so you remain blessed. If you have dual chargers, DC charging is so slow right now you might actually charge faster on AC because of how bad DC tapering has been.

Last edited:
Which location

As in you NEVER get anything over 70kWH even if your SoC is low when you start? My P85D has certainly seen a slow down, but if I’m at, say, 10%, I still get 117kWH for a few mins before it tapers quickly after 10mins.
Ha! Not any more. I’ve not seen anything above the 60’s since I have been capped.

This includes multiple trips to multiple 150kwh superchargers, in multiple states, with all stalls empty, regardless of SOC. Obviously at 10% it charges faster but never above 60kwh. If I pull in with 50% it never gets out of the 30’s and often stays in the 20’s. Total garbage.

Tesla says “it’s normal”, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Ha! Not any more. I’ve not seen anything above the 60’s since I have been capped.

This includes multiple trips to multiple 150kwh superchargers, in multiple states, with all stalls empty, regardless of SOC. Obviously at 10% it charges faster but never above 60kwh. If I pull in with 50% it never gets out of the 30’s and often stays in the 20’s. Total garbage.

Tesla says “it’s normal”, of course.
I’ve been “ok” with the neutering on my car, but would be PISSED if I couldn’t get more than 60kW.

Lots of rants about slow Supercharging. It appears that software update has slowed Supercharging.
I have observed slowing of Supercharging but it's reasonable and I'm happy to have longer battery life.
Most recent Supercharging (2015 85D)
Plugged in with battery at 15% (warm battery after a 50 mile drive).
Started to charge at 102 kW which is a little less than the 110 kW I usually get.
Ramped down quickly to 80 kW (faster ramp down than usual) then slower taper to 50 kW for final charge to 80%.
Total time from 15% to 80% was 35 minutes.
I think this is slower than in the past but is perfectly acceptable so I'm not going to rant.
yes...Tesla give free supercharging as incentive to buy, then there next update you get slows you down.....almost like bait and switch

Nothing to see here... move along... :cool:

Nothing to see here... move along... :cool:
??? Did you have something to contribute?
This is something thatd not surface in any manual when buying a Tesla. Very well kept secret. We only hear the knees about 150kW chargers and more and how fast your Tesla charges. Nobody says only when new. Did they tell you when you put your order?