Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superstitions about VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, they do not. My car had that VIN (Model S).
I don't understand why they would skip this number anyway. I can't see superstition playing a part in any aspect of modern consumer businesses.

Funny story from a friend of mine who was dropping cabling for an office complex. His numbers wouldn't match the numbers given by his customer. After a lot of confusion, they finally realized that the customer didn't use the number 13 for any of their network jacks. You know, because... superstition.

I don't understand why they would skip this number anyway. I can't see superstition playing a part in any aspect of modern consumer businesses.

Funny story from a friend of mine who was dropping cabling for an office complex. His numbers wouldn't match the numbers given by his customer. After a lot of confusion, they finally realized that the customer didn't use the number 13 for any of their network jacks. You know, because... superstition.
Unlucky floor numbers in elevators

I think 666 is more than superstitious, however to talk about it violates forum rules......so, I'm done.

I’ve always found this to be absurd - it’s not like they build a thirteenth floor that is left empty and skipped by the elevator. It’s just window dressing to placate morons.
You can call them morons if you like, however morons spend money also.

Would you post a floor 13 if it stops you from generating revenue? Its a business decision.

Call me what you want but I will not accept a VIN of 666. I don't have a need to worry about it because it will be long gone by the time my reservation is fulfilled.

Golf, I'm quite sure, is one of the sports where you have the most superstition on earth (simply because you have much too much time to think about your next shot, compared to e.g. tennis or soccer). I've never seen a golf course without a 13th hole. I even think the (probably overall, in a good way, sadistic) golf architects often design the 13th hole so as to be a hole where a lot of luck is involved:). But I've never seen any superstitious golfer (even those who absolutely, by superstition, need to wear a red polo on Sundays, or need to have their glove precisely halfway in their left back pocket when putting), ever go berserk on the 13th hole because it was the 13th:)

Reactions: ohmman
I would think religious sensibilities are a normal part of a liberal, diverse society. Business included. No?

Not that I'm saying Tesla should avoid the number necessarily. But I wouldn't blame them for doing so.

I will gladly accept any Model 3 ending with 666, as long as the leading digit(s) are under 10. Devil be damned !

RT

I will gladly accept any Model 3 ending with 666, as long as the leading digit(s) are under 10. Devil be damned !

RT

:) Mind you, I'm not saying such a car shouldn't exist either, but I believe certain cultural and religious sensibilities are understandable and a wise business might consider this.

Once in Japan, at a Buddhist temple, I (briefly) watched an elderly couple have their brand new Toyota go through a blessing ceremony by an orange-clad monk. Just a welcome reminder of the wider world out there.

Reactions: Bound466
I would think religious sensibilities are a normal part of a liberal, diverse society. Business included. No?

Not that I'm saying Tesla should avoid the number necessarily. But I wouldn't blame them for doing so.
Give me an example.

This discussion is about avoiding numerals that evoke some kind of superstitious response. Garlan gave the example of hotels which omit some numbered floors. I don't think I've encountered this, or just haven't noticed. I worked on the 13th floor of a building for some time. Worked out quite well for me, too. :)

Now, if you can give me a VIN with an actual irrational number, I'll pay extra. But I want all of the digits.

Give me an example.

This discussion is about avoiding numerals that evoke some kind of superstitious response. Garlan gave the example of hotels which omit some numbered floors. I don't think I've encountered this, or just haven't noticed. I worked on the 13th floor of a building for some time. Worked out quite well for me, too. :)

Now, if you can give me a VIN with an actual irrational number, I'll pay extra. But I want all of the digits.

This may be silly to go into detail over, so I wont, but I think in general business it certainly is wise to consider cultural sensibilities. Should Tesla skip some VINs, well, I don't know if any car companies do - so who knows. OTOH, it would be easy to skip 13 and 666 for example.

As many have mentioned, various hotels avoid floor number 13. I have seen this personally. In Asia, the number 4 is widely avoided as well (or at least was until the culturally insensitive people from California marched in with iPhone 4 ;).

I know where I live certain car registration numbers are listed as having grounds for getting a new one for free. They won't avoid them, but if you dislike it, you can get a new one. Though this example is a public one, not a private business, but the same principle applies.

Perhaps it is easier to think of this through text. What if your VIN was textual and on your windshield read something very insensitive. It would be understandable to avoid that. Numbers can be the same for some folks and it might be wise to at least consider that in some way.

In Germany one might not want to drive around with a registration number 88. Or H982 FKL in Argentina... SEX 69?

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
You can call them morons if you like, however morons spend money also.

Would you post a floor 13 if it stops you from generating revenue? Its a business decision.

Call me what you want but I will not accept a VIN of 666. I don't have a need to worry about it because it will be long gone by the time my reservation is fulfilled.
To be clear, I wasn't commenting on the actual superstition. The reason I think it's ridiculous is because there's still a 13th floor, regardless of what number is on the elevator. Tesla could easily just not produce VIN 666 since VIN numbers aren't assigned in order. Different scenario.