Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprise OTA Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're looking forward to some long country drives in the Tesla. Followed Richard McN's advice and upgraded the charger for country use. Have a 600km adventure to a seaside destination planned this weekend, and another to country NSW early August, and yet another to Merimbula area in September, so all good.
Yesterday my wife logged in and upgraded the range from 70D to 75D - because she didn't want to spend time waiting by the side of the road ! ! !

I got in the car and it said it had a new number and a new range.
Love that OTA upgrade option. Works for me ;)

Anyone else had an unexpected OTA experience?
75D.jpg

Have a good drive! Suggestions in passing - I drove from Sydney to Merimbula last weekend (S85D). I went down the King's Road (i.e. via Bateman's Bay) from the Goulburn Supercharger, and made it to Merimbula with only a few Kms to spare on an 80% charge, so you'd want to be full up with a 75D. Coming down Clyde Mountain gave me some good regen km's! It's about 20km shorter than via Cooma. Coming back, I started with 100% and would not have made it to Goulburn via Cooma - about 15km short, and that was at the speed limit (ish), clear weather. Did have the aircon on. So, if you're going back that way might be an idea to add a few km's at Bateman's Bay, and be prepared to stop at Canberra. Hotel Realm is good, their charger is in their public carpark and is 40A. They have 2 of them which may suit you. Cheers!

Thanks for the thought Novatec.

Make sure you are patient at Bairnsdale and charge all the way to 100%. We got bored and stopped charging in the 90's and ended up sufffering some range anxiety amongst the never-ending hills on that leg (to Bega in our case).

Phew, and I have a pissy (well not at the lights, you gotta launch occasionally) 75D ( those ICE's never get it) so thanks heaps for the charging advice. I'll def charge up, maybe to 110% - is that possible . . . .

You'll definitley make it Novatec ...

OUR TRIP kWh
75.2 = Start 94% of 80kWh usable capacity
65.6 = 328km at 200 Wh/km with aircon OFF
3.2 ..= Unexplained - probably the cold weather in Jul
6.4 ..= 8% battery left on arrival

NOVATEC kWh
65 = Start 100% of 65kWh (conservative guess) usable capacity
60 = 300km at 200 Wh/km with aircon OFF
2 ..= Unexplained - probably much warmer in Sept
3 ..= 5% battery left on arrival

and I suspect you'll do better than 200 Wh/km as the 75 has less weight penalty in the hills, we had 3 people, and I didn't start driving economically till a bit of the way into the trip.

Last edited:
and I suspect you'll do better than 200 Wh/km as the 75 has less weight penalty

Yes, did Melbourne-Wodonga-Melbourne yesterday, at 200Wh/km with aircon ON and at 114kph - but no hills. So your estimates are good. A bit slower should compensate for a few more hills. Thanks.

Keep the stories and pics coming from your BIG adventure. All the best for the up-coming blank bit across the top.

Reactions: RichardMcN
Yes, did Melbourne-Wodonga-Melbourne yesterday, at 200Wh/km with aircon ON and at 114kph - but no hills. So your estimates are good. A bit slower should compensate for a few more hills. Thanks.

Keep the stories and pics coming from your BIG adventure. All the best for the up-coming blank bit across the top.
Thanks Novatec. Looks like Nova-00 is 2 months old today (one day older than mine) and giving you plenty to smile about!

Reactions: Novatec