Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspect part

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is what I think it is by a quick double check, "VC Right" is one of a few main controllers for the car responsible for a high number of things. There's a Left and Front as well, with different duties.

Right specifically seems to do various things with mirrors, seats, parking brake, climate control, and more.

If I were to guess, they're replacing just in case rather than because of an identified fault but it's quite possible.

@camalaio thanks

History is that mobile service came out maybe 5 weeks ago and replaced the right rear seatbelt latch because the car tossed up an error code about safety system something; this was a warranty claim and the estimate that came in email was no cost.

This week it tossed up a different but similar safety system warning. This time the email came with a near $600 estimate to replace this controller which I have not accepted. The car has 28k miles and will be 2 years old in August (8/8/2018 delivery date)

Kinda shocked me the $ and I'm kinda sure the end cost will be zero though if not they'll be some unhappy words I'm sure.

Where is the controller located? IE how much of my car will be disassembled to get to the part?

thanks

Veql8wY.png

Reactions: Msjulie
@camalaio thanks

History is that mobile service came out maybe 5 weeks ago and replaced the right rear seatbelt latch because the car tossed up an error code about safety system something; this was a warranty claim and the estimate that came in email was no cost.

This week it tossed up a different but similar safety system warning. This time the email came with a near $600 estimate to replace this controller which I have not accepted. The car has 28k miles and will be 2 years old in August (8/8/2018 delivery date)

Kinda shocked me the $ and I'm kinda sure the end cost will be zero though if not they'll be some unhappy words I'm sure.

Where is the controller located? IE how much of my car will be disassembled to get to the part?

thanks

It's somewhere in the right front footwell (just in front of the door) if it's in a similar location as the left one. You can see it without taking too much apart, getting it out might be a different story but shouldn't be too bad.

You're well within warranty for safety systems. I assume they're calling it a diagnostic process to find a cause rather than warranty work? That further supports the theory they don't really know what's up, actually (as it's the only way they can reasonably charge for it within warranty). Classic vehicle manufacturer move.

There was a shift late last year, that I noticed, where they’ve been more aggressive about warning (and coming off as in range of threatening) about diagnostic charges and potential repair charges until a tech sees the fault and okays it as warranty work. Then the diagnostic charges disappear.

In a sense this isn’t totally scummy. Say it turns out your Little Billy dumped his Big Gulp on the dash, it ran down inside, & that's what fubared this part. Can’t really tell that was the case until they pull it apart & find a sticky Blue Raspberry mess.

Without warning about diagnostic charges up front they are on shaky ground to charge for them.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I agree this should be warranty, I just don't like the 'suggestion' that I have to agree up front. Better to say there is a diagnostic fee which is refunded when they determine what needs repairing, giving me the option to say no to repair if they somehow blame me
Yeah, I was never asked to pre-approve a repair like that without them having sight on the part. I wouldn't agree to that.

You can communicate with the person handling your case. Time to channel your inner Karen. ;)