Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Rattle/Clunk when in "High"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I have a S85 with air suspension, and it seems to have developed an interesting clunk.

I have the suspension set to "high" for my home location (primarily to ease passenger ingress/egress). As such the geo-aware function raises the suspension as I get close to my driveway, and by the time I pull in it's typically already raised. I've had it set this way for a couple of years, with no issues.

Recently, I've noticed a clunk/rattle when the suspension travels as a result of hitting the incline of my driveway. My wife commented in it a bit back, so I don't think it's my imagination.

The parameters seem to be:
  • Suspension on high
  • Steering cranked 80% to the right
  • Hitting the incline of the driveway

I don't notice it at other times, such as in my parking garage at work, where I go over speed bumps while turning, but the suspension is on low. This is also not the same popping noise associated with the steering unit, I had that previously.

Anybody else experienced similar?

I have a S85 with air suspension, and it seems to have developed an interesting clunk.

I have the suspension set to "high" for my home location (primarily to ease passenger ingress/egress). As such the geo-aware function raises the suspension as I get close to my driveway, and by the time I pull in it's typically already raised. I've had it set this way for a couple of years, with no issues.

Recently, I've noticed a clunk/rattle when the suspension travels as a result of hitting the incline of my driveway. My wife commented in it a bit back, so I don't think it's my imagination.

The parameters seem to be:
  • Suspension on high
  • Steering cranked 80% to the right
  • Hitting the incline of the driveway

I don't notice it at other times, such as in my parking garage at work, where I go over speed bumps while turning, but the suspension is on low. This is also not the same popping noise associated with the steering unit, I had that previously.

Anybody else experienced similar?
Probably the now infamous ball joints. I would have them checked for wear.

Yes, what ball joint issue?
Are you sure this isn't a drive unit issue - I've read of clunking noises at low speeds and low regen. Would be interesting to roll down Windows and check for noise in another location at normal suspension height.

I am considering adding Air Suspension to my MS order. Is there a thread that discusses pro/con on this option?
Sounds like this option causes more heartache than joy. Please show me the path

There are many threads comparing the 2, my opinion is that in general air suspensions or hydraulic ones cause too many maintenance issues over time. Normally after warranty is over and the shocks to replace are a couple grand each, not sure how much they are for Tesla.

Yes, what ball joint issue?
Are you sure this isn't a drive unit issue - I've read of clunking noises at low speeds and low regen. Would be interesting to roll down Windows and check for noise in another location at normal suspension height.

Pretty sure. I've had previous drive unit issues (bearings, not clunk however), and I'm relatively familiar with where that sound emanates.

This isn't driveline backlash when unloaded. I'm pretty sure it's suspension related based on where it seems to originate from. The fact that it happens with specific steering angle and suspension settings reinforces that.

Pretty sure. I've had previous drive unit issues (bearings, not clunk however), and I'm relatively familiar with where that sound emanates.

This isn't driveline backlash when unloaded. I'm pretty sure it's suspension related based on where it seems to originate from. The fact that it happens with specific steering angle and suspension settings reinforces that.

I had this exact problem and it had to do with a damper near the left front. Sorry I can't find the invoice but it was corrected immediately. I would guess if you mention the word damper they will know what that is.