Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension settings for shudder & tire wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2017 MX100D. With the suspension in Standard mode or higher, I have shudder with moderate to hard acceleration. I have reported it to Tesla, and they say its normal and to just use low mode. With the suspension set on low or very low, all is well. There have been a lot of threads about this, and I seem to find conflicting information. I'm wondering:

1) Will it cause uneven tire wear to just leave the suspension in low mode? Does this depend on the car, in terms of how the alignment is set up?

2) How can I make it stay in low mode all the time? It seems like whenever I park & re-enter the car, it will raise back to standard when the car starts up. At first I thought that this was geo-fencing or something, but it happens everywhere, and I don't see an "automatically raising based on location" message.

Thanks, and sorry for posting the millionth thread on this.

The shudder is common but not normal. Keep telling them that.
The inner tire wear in low suspension seems to have improved with later cars and can be decreased by using after market bearings (vendor EV Tuning). There is a thread around here somewhere.
On screen in Suspension settings there is an Adjust Speed button under Automatic Lowering. You can set that to Always (adjustable when parked).

The shudder is common but not normal. Keep telling them that.
The inner tire wear in low suspension seems to have improved with later cars and can be decreased by using after market bearings (vendor EV Tuning). There is a thread around here somewhere.
On screen in Suspension settings there is an Adjust Speed button under Automatic Lowering. You can set that to Always (adjustable when parked).

Thanks, I did not know it was adjustable to "always". I will do that.

Do we have a definition of "later cars" ? Mine is a Sept 2017 build (one of the very first with AP2.5 hw).

I have a late 2017 MX100D. With the suspension in Standard mode or higher, I have shudder with moderate to hard acceleration. I have reported it to Tesla, and they say its normal and to just use low mode. With the suspension set on low or very low, all is well. There have been a lot of threads about this, and I seem to find conflicting information. I'm wondering:

1) Will it cause uneven tire wear to just leave the suspension in low mode? Does this depend on the car, in terms of how the alignment is set up?

2) How can I make it stay in low mode all the time? It seems like whenever I park & re-enter the car, it will raise back to standard when the car starts up. At first I thought that this was geo-fencing or something, but it happens everywhere, and I don't see an "automatically raising based on location" message.

Thanks, and sorry for posting the millionth thread on this.

FYI, I just recently had my tires replace for the 3rd time due to excessive wear under 5000 miles (metal showing on the inside of the back tires) I posted about it in a different thread. But the outcome was that since my car was in low all the time it must also be aligned for low. Routine alignment is for standard suspension. So if you are going to keep it in low all the time, get your alignment redone.