Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping Center Console for Micro USB plug instead of Iphone one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this something I can do easily and cheap?? Or do I really need to buy the console and sell mine??
If so, anyone have the Android one, and wants to trade, let me know.

I haven't tried poking around and meddling with it, but it looks like a fairly simple project.

Thoughts??

Is this something I can do easily and cheap?? Or do I really need to buy the console and sell mine??
If so, anyone have the Android one, and wants to trade, let me know.

I haven't tried poking around and meddling with it, but it looks like a fairly simple project.

Thoughts??

I bet you could find a pigtail replacement and do it yourself with a little finagling. Also, check with Tesla, they offer the option when ordering. They might sell the part. I actually plugged my stock iPhone cord into the 12V socket in order to save the USB port. I had an adaptor lying around. The cord was just barely long enough to make it work with no problem.

Contact Tesla to see if they can send you the cable and the matching plastic docking adapter.

Once you have the parts, it's pretty easy to disassemble that portion of the console and swap the adapters.

Well, you CAN order it separately from the store, but it's $600. That's ridiculous. Anyone tried swapping out the plugs?
That $600 is for an entirely new center console.

I can't say I've ever seen something in the direction you need to go. I found a couple things with the right ports, but inverted genders. You might convince Tesla to sell you the parts... certainly the center console is generic and then outfitted with one of the two dock type sets. That has to be your best, and cleanest, solution.

I think he's looking for the reverse, but imagine how much better the world would be if Apple had just integrated that in to the phone in the first place like every other manufacturer...

I can't really blame them. Micro USB is a pretty poor connector. I'd rather issues on the edge cases and a simple, well-crafted connector. It's clear I'm not alone given the swift development of USB Type C, which hopefully everyone (including Apple) switches to quickly.

USB Type C, which hopefully everyone (including Apple) switches to quickly.
You're kidding right? you expect Apple to EVER go with an industry standard connector for their devices? they've fought tooth and nail to maintain their own proprietary connectors despite laws to the contrary being threatened, and despite their previous connector being obviously inferior, and their current one being debatably inferior (marginally better physical connector (though honestly the micro USB connector has no real issues either), and way too much bloated expensive electronics to make it work)

You're kidding right? you expect Apple to EVER go with an industry standard connector for their devices? they've fought tooth and nail to maintain their own proprietary connectors despite laws to the contrary being threatened, and despite their previous connector being obviously inferior, and their current one being debatably inferior (marginally better physical connector (though honestly the micro USB connector has no real issues either), and way too much bloated expensive electronics to make it work)
I mean, this is a pretty inflammatory post, but to clarify: Apple commonly uses industry standards unless there's a good reason for them no to. When the 30-pin launched it was certainly not "obviously inferior". Think back to 2003. USB 1 was too slow to transfer music to the iPod with any realistic semblance of speed, so the dock connector carried Firewire for high-speed transfers from machines that supported it, and low-speed USB for those that didn't. It also had full analog line-out for easy connection to speaker and car systems. There was nothing at the time that could do that.

Micro USB is directional and finicky. I hate it on my Galaxy, and there's no doubt that the Lightning connector is easier to use. Again, there's nothing available now that's as flexible or as easy to use for small devices. The Lightning port can act as a USB Host, serve HDMI out natively, and so on. USB Type C will fill that gap soon and is expected to be very popular. Since USB was late to the party it's hard to estimate how quickly Apple will switch, but they're unlikely to be among the first since they already have something that works.

The last major proprietary connector they used before that was, what, Apple Display Connector (discontinued in 2005)? Even that had advantages, because it was one cable that provided power and video in the same cable.

It's certainly not the black-and-white issue you make it out to be.

That $600 is for an entirely new center console.

I can't say I've ever seen something in the direction you need to go. I found a couple things with the right ports, but inverted genders. You might convince Tesla to sell you the parts... certainly the center console is generic and then outfitted with one of the two dock type sets. That has to be your best, and cleanest, solution.

I can't really blame them. Micro USB is a pretty poor connector. I'd rather issues on the edge cases and a simple, well-crafted connector. It's clear I'm not alone given the swift development of USB Type C, which hopefully everyone (including Apple) switches to quickly.

Yes, $600 for the entire center console, I know what it is for. It's still pretty damn steep if you think about what it is, which is pretty much a leather, box with a retractable compartment, a flip compartment with 2 usb plug inputs. Think about how much it would cost you to make that. CERTAINLY not $600......(hmm.....make it myself....)

I'll ask my service center next time I go if they can think of any solutions (even if it's under the table).

I'll post update.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, ha ha. I was looking for the exact opposite.

Yes, $600 for the entire center console, I know what it is for. It's still pretty damn steep if you think about what it is, which is pretty much a leather, box with a retractable compartment, a flip compartment with 2 usb plug inputs. Think about how much it would cost you to make that. CERTAINLY not $600......(hmm.....make it myself....)

I'll ask my service center next time I go if they can think of any solutions (even if it's under the table).

I'll post update.

Indeed. I remember everyone was shocked when they announced the pricing, considering the third-party options were double that. I'd definitely be interested to hear if they'll swap the dock for you or if you need to buy a whole new unit.

Tesla should provide both sets of adapters with each console. Mine did come with a blank plate - so I could remove the microUSB from the console and just plate over the spot. For $600, they could surely provide the iPhone cable and the small plastic docking piece.

And, they should come up with a better solution for handling phones in cases, requiring the connector to extend further outside of the console to make contact with the phone.