Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sway Bars ... what size on what models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The parts catalog shows 2 front sway bars and 2 rear sway bars. Does anyone know which ones are used on which models?
I would guess the largest ones (both Front and Rear) are for the Performance.

I just found out the SR does not have a rear bar. The SR does have a front, but which size.

What about the LR RWD, LR AWD, and MR?

2021-07-09 17_33_13-Parts Catalog.png
2021-07-09 17_33_58-Parts Catalog.png

Not sure about current production and post refresh Model 3/Ys, but way back when in 2017/2018/2019...

The slightly thicker front and rear anti-swaybars were installed on all Model 3 Performance and LR AWDs.

LR RWD and all other trims (as they trickled in) from SR, MR to +/- etc. received the slightly thinner anti-swaybars.

In essence, the line was initially drawn between Dual vs Single Motor setups irrespective of trim. Especially since almost all 2018 LR AWDs were effectively mechanically/electrically identical to Performance cars of the era.

Tried UP and Eibach and went back to stock.

Unless you track or auto-x or similar or are perhaps of the younger crowd, aftermarket anti-sway bars present more cons than pros on a daily-duty/beater Tesla.
As someone who has been entertaining the idea of aftermarket sway bar options for some time to help improve the lackluster handling, including both UP and Eibach, could you please elaborate on your experience and of the pros/cons? The more detail the better :).

Lackluster handling is sadly a characteristic of this platform and the 3/Ys in general. Mostly a function of the steering rack/column, then the OE suspension setup and finally the curb weight and how it behaves at or near the edge.

Sure you can go and replace almost everything in the suspension with MPP, UP, Redwood, Eibach, CamberKing, soon also SuperPro parts... but in most cases that will only create a track/auto-x toy and without careful consideration, unbalance or skew the car further in some direction. Its a tricky balance, specific to each driver and use.

Re thicker anti-sway bars with their floating hard bushings on this platform - opinions are subjective and mine is irrelevant - suffice it to say that either set greatly increases harshness over ill maintained road surfaces. Combined with the weight of the car, this alone mutes any improvement while cornering or quickly changing driving direction.
It also further amplifies the lackluster steering feel.

Not a fun experience for someone older and no longer interested in any type of spirited or performance oriented driving.

You can throw on some coilovers, control arms, trailing arms, etc but you will simply limit the practical use of the car to a few specific scenarios. Its too bad the aftermarket industry rarely ever embraces OE+.

Good discussion ... but anyone have any more info on which OEM bars are for which models?

Also anyone have any comments on which OEM bar would be best suited for the SR?
I know sometimes you can over due the rear sway bar at which point the backend breaks loose and/or you get oversteer.

Get a rear sway bar assembly with end links on eBay, order the 4 mount bolts and you are done.
Not sure about differing rear sway bar part number which I know is you’re original question.

Not one of my best videos due to the quality but there is some info in here that should help:

Get a rear sway bar assembly with end links on eBay, order the 4 mount bolts and you are done.
Not sure about differing rear sway bar part number which I know is you’re original question.

Not one of my best videos due to the quality but there is some info in here that should help:

I've seen that video and it is helpful (thanks) ... and that's what I plan to do. But I want to get a bit more information and decide whether it would be best to get the 16mm or the 19.6mm rear bar and which vehicles they originally came from. As well as figure out if I have the 28mm or 29mm front bar.

Bigger is not always better and I don't want to upset the balance of the car.

I would assume that the Performance model has the thicker bars front and rear, but I am not certain.

I have answered the question above a few posts up in the first reply to OP.
We confirmed this a few years ago. At the time, it waa accurate.

Not sure about current production, but assume its the same and the line is drawn at the dual vs single motor trims.

I have answered the question above a few posts up in the first reply to OP.
We confirmed this a few years ago. At the time, it waa accurate.

Not sure about current production, but assume its the same and the line is drawn at the dual vs single motor trims.

Sorry, I did read your reply but wasn't 100% sure about the mid-range. I've double checked and it is RWD as well.
  • So the SR, MR, and LR are all single motor and should have the smaller front sway bar.
  • MR & LR RWD have the smaller rear sway bar.
  • SR does not have a rear sway bar.
  • LR AWD and P have the thicker bars.
That would mean there are no current production cars using the smaller rear bar at this time.
Interesting.

Tried UP and Eibach and went back to stock.

Unless you track or auto-x or similar or are perhaps of the younger crowd, aftermarket anti-sway bars present more cons than pros on a daily-duty/beater Tesla.
i have to say this and and your following comments somewhat are at odds..... my used 19 performance is my beater which for me...needs to be fast. The others in this place have been Pullied hellcat charger, APR audi s6, Cobb N54 335i.
ive had a myriad of cars for this use and TESLA TAKES THE CAKE AND I EAT IT TOO.
electric bill has not gone up and i havent been to a gas station. So So So much less pay to play, so the 3P with track mode makes all the sense in the world.

someone older and less in their adrenaline prime is not who is daily driving the vehicle.

my forged 18s with 265 RS4 hankooks changed the game alone... but the UP swaybars have drastically reduced understeer for the combo.

i will be ordering all the linkages and coilovers as i know race camber will once again change the game. I originally was not going to as i didnt want to drop the already lower perf but i guess the tallest setting on MPP can be somewhat close.

so my Daily that I trash, drives better with UP swaybars in middle setting and yes...its lacking in the departments you mention...

but arent we talking Race parts? whos driving and whos looking for the upgrade? Aftermarket swaybars WILL lower your time at the track and WILL decrease understeer at your office park entrance.

If you didnt care about handling or cared for better comfort... Model S or Lexus IS

Reactions: Lindenwood
Lackluster handling is sadly a characteristic of this platform and the 3/Ys in general. Mostly a function of the steering rack/column, then the OE suspension setup and finally the curb weight and how it behaves at or near the edge.

Sure you can go and replace almost everything in the suspension with MPP, UP, Redwood, Eibach, CamberKing, soon also SuperPro parts... but in most cases that will only create a track/auto-x toy and without careful consideration, unbalance or skew the car further in some direction. Its a tricky balance, specific to each driver and use.

Re thicker anti-sway bars with their floating hard bushings on this platform - opinions are subjective and mine is irrelevant - suffice it to say that either set greatly increases harshness over ill maintained road surfaces. Combined with the weight of the car, this alone mutes any improvement while cornering or quickly changing driving direction.
It also further amplifies the lackluster steering feel.

Not a fun experience for someone older and no longer interested in any type of spirited or performance oriented driving.

You can throw on some coilovers, control arms, trailing arms, etc but you will simply limit the practical use of the car to a few specific scenarios. Its too bad the aftermarket industry rarely ever embraces OE+.

FWIW, I found MPP's Comfort Coilovers along with their adjustable control arms front and rear (to add some camber) to result in a very compliant (more comfortable than the stock 2021) ride as well as vastly improved handling. I do agree that the sway bars add a considerable amount of NVH. And of course, if you replace all of the suspension arms with solid that is going to increase NVH. But, I think what I mentioned above is a nice middle ground.