Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sweaty back /seat cover recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be a spoil sport, but the owners manual more or less says don't use seat covers.
Seat Covers Warning: Do not use seat covers in Model3. Doing so could restrict deployment of the seat-mounted side air bags if a collision occurs. Also, if the vehicle is equipped with an occupant detection system that is used to determine the status of the passenger front airbag, seat covers may interfere with this system.
on page 27 (from pdf).

That’s an expensive possibility, thanks for advice
Expensive, yes. Sometimes one has to do what's necessary to effectively solve a problem.

If it was my car, I'd ask an auto upholsterer about options to re-cover only the seat backs...and possibly re-using the existing seat backs by de-constructing them and replacing only the panels that contact the owner's back. A good re-upholsterer can do this quite well...and it will save money. I'm thinking of what Porsche does in their seats when center sections are Alcantara and the rest is leather (or pleather).

Last edited:
This seat cover looks nice as well and would do a better job of ventilation than the seat hoodie I linked before. The seat hoodie is more for absorption than prevention (great for post-workout/post-beach though).
This is the seat cover I used over the summer and it worked pretty well. The top attachment point fits in the gap between the seat back and headrest. The middle and bottom attachment points are a bit more tricky, however... I ended up rigging a "make it work" attachment for the middle and didn't bother with the bottom attachments. Otherwise it worked great and I only removed it once the weather got cold enough to use the seat heater. No concerns with airbags for this one.

Reactions: bigroo42
So now that I own the car trying to figure out what to do about this. Even when I tested the car both in white and black seats no matter how cold it is outside for some reason my back on this material gets very sweaty. Does anybody have a recommendation for a seat cover?

And the odd thing is I'm not a big guy, 5 foot 8 155 lbs.
Good question Mike. Just got my MYP and have the same issue. I'm not a sweaty person and the seats cause sweating for me too.

Wow what a piece of work that LACALawyer was. Can only imagine how miserable he must make the people around him in real life.

I, too, am having issues with my back and bum getting sweaty in my Model Y and also have never had this happen in any other vehicle I have owned no matter how hot it was. Today it's only mildly warm and barely humid and my back is wet. Im assuming its because these stock seat covers do not breath at all.

Anyone find any solutions that dont interfere with the seat and its safety systems?

Thank you

PS.. I have also never owned anything in my 50 years that had things slide of the center console so much and disappear. All I seem to do is be looking for stuff under the seats all the time lol

Wow what a piece of work that LACALawyer was. Can only imagine how miserable he must make the people around him in real life.

I, too, am having issues with my back and bum getting sweaty in my Model Y and also have never had this happen in any other vehicle I have owned no matter how hot it was. Today it's only mildly warm and barely humid and my back is wet. Im assuming its because these stock seat covers do not breath at all.

Anyone find any solutions that dont interfere with the seat and its safety systems?

Thank you

PS.. I have also never owned anything in my 50 years that had things slide of the center console so much and disappear. All I seem to do is be looking for stuff under the seats all the time lol

I'm having more issues with aftermarket seat covers (which are likely vinyl/PVC, so even with perforations breathes even worse the the PU of the original seats). Didn't have issue with standard seats (although I haven't used them bare that much, and not in hot weather). As a temporary solution, towels work fine (just standard large white towels), but they obviously don't look as good on the seats as an actual cover.
TAPTES perforated, NAPA leather seat covers for M3 install (Pics)
Currently waiting for these to arrive, which are a mesh style cover similar to used for motorcycles:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088B6TNWZ
I wasn't able to find ones like the ice silk ones mentioned up thread on Amazon, and I would prefer Amazon for the easy returns.

I'm having more issues with aftermarket seat covers (which are likely vinyl/PVC, so even with perforations breathes even worse the the PU of the original seats). Didn't have issue with standard seats (although I haven't used them bare that much, and not in hot weather). As a temporary solution, towels work fine (just standard large white towels), but they obviously don't look as good on the seats as an actual cover.
TAPTES perforated, NAPA leather seat covers for M3 install (Pics)
Currently waiting for these to arrive, which are a mesh style cover similar to used for motorcycles:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088B6TNWZ
I wasn't able to find ones like the ice silk ones mentioned up thread on Amazon, and I would prefer Amazon for the easy returns.
For what it's worth, the mesh covers do help. Even with the sun shining directly on the seat, it's still bearable when first sitting on it and it does reduce the sweat a lot. I'm not sure however it is any better than white towels, which seems to reject heat more in first place (doesn't get as hot in sun). The covers are pretty much plastic mesh, so may not be that comfortable to sit in if bare skin contacts it.

About the seats, I don't like leather (or leatherette), it looks nice but it's cold in winter and hot in summer.
I wish there was an option for getting fabric seat covers instead, like the VW GTI Tartan seats,

I got some black neoprene seats covers from Wet Okole.
I really like the touch and the added layer of neoprene makes the seats even more comfortable.
@Watts_Up
Does this work well for you? I live in a hot/humid city and anticipate this to be a problem.

Do you keep it on in the winter and does the heat from the seats come through?

Thanks