Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tried to check on the car this morning via the iphone app. I noticed last night that the car was not plugged in at the service center, there was 179 miles remaining on the charge and that the cabin temperature was 64 degrees. I guess they don't heat the service center at night. Anyway, can not connect to the car. Don't know what that means. Will have to wait to they open and call them.

12 volt batt ---> hiss . . . boo . . .

Do we really need this archaic throwback?? After all it is just a small reservoir for 12.6 volt dc power. Could be easily replaced with a capacitor like dirt bikes use, with more capacity of course. Better: two caps in parallel so one could be shed if it starts operating out of spec. C'mon Elon, lets go space-age with this royal PIA!!
--

We are detecting continued ravings from this particular I.P. Again, accommodation and consideration is all we ask. Msg 003.

This all happened at my house as swegman was helping me finish a 14-50 install (btw, I've never been so proud of an outlet before). Better to be in friendly confines than the side of the beltway, right swegman? Anyway, 3 thoughts we had were:
1) should this be posted on TMC? I'm glad it did b/c knowledge can only come from it (and maybe some bad press...).

2) same thought that someone else posted: this electronics/computer everything system probably means it is either working or it's not (no halfway working/limp mode) which makes for way more dramatic fails ie tow trucks in the parking lots kind of scene (as an aside, flatbeds and rentals cannot be cheap for TM).

3) I was just as concerned as swegman about this, mainly b/c I am expecting my MS in a few weeks and the last thing I needed was for my wife to get home from work and see this 2 day old one being lifted on a tow truck! Not good for morale as we hand over the check.

Anyway, you handled it great and we will all learn from this. How could you be that frustrated with something like this (sorry to keep posting pics of your car, but somebody's got to do it!)?
y5u9a8e9.jpg

e3uzu8ar.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

While it may not always be good press, communicating vehicle issues is very important to owners, future owners and to TM. Of all the problems reported, the 12V battery appears to have the largest impact on drivability.

While waiting to hear of a positive resolution here, I thought I'd add my initial impression of seeing my 12-V battery being replaced. The battery itself is much smaller than that on an ICE car, plus it is located under a support bracket or brace used for crash protection. So the service center guy has to dissemble the bracket/brace first, but this took them only a few minutes. The whole process of removing, replacing and reassembly, plus verifying all systems go, took about 30 minutes, and kudos to the technicians as they impressed me with their skill and knowledge about the car.

Also while we wait, a sidebar: I showed my car to our local Goodyear dealer, who has always performed service on our ICE cars. He was both impressed and depressed, as he looked at me and said "I hope to make it to retirement in 5 years, but as more and more of these EVs become common, I can see our service business declining.". He then brought out a 20-year old technician and told him I need an oil change. The kid had now clue what he was looking at, and when I popped the Frunk, he said "so the engine's in the rear," then I popped the trunk and he stood there scratching his head while his boss was laughing like a hyena. I told the dealer, at least I will be buying tires from you in 3-4 years. Gotta roll.

Also while we wait, a sidebar: I showed my car to our local Goodyear dealer, who has always performed service on our ICE cars. He was both impressed and depressed, as he looked at me and said "I hope to make it to retirement in 5 years, but as more and more of these EVs become common, I can see our service business declining.". He then brought out a 20-year old technician and told him I need an oil change. The kid had now clue what he was looking at, and when I popped the Frunk, he said "so the engine's in the rear," then I popped the trunk and he stood there scratching his head while his boss was laughing like a hyena. I told the dealer, at least I will be buying tires from you in 3-4 years. Gotta roll.

Ha - that reminds me of the old Navy days when kids would get sent to the fire room for a bucket of steam. That in itself reminds me of the advance of technology as you want find oil-fired boilers or fire rooms on Navy ships anymore.

So check your owners manual to see how to access your fuse boxes. You can easily see two boxes side-by-side near the top. Remove the lid/top of the box on the left as you face the windshield. There are 2 different bright Yellow-Green 30-amp fuses, but the one controlling the display is in the 4th column in from the right side of the box, and in the 2nd slot up from the nose of the car. You may want a pair of small needle-nose pliers to grasp the fuse and wiggle it up and out. Wait 10-15 seconds and reinsert. Try and wake up the car with the FOB, but you may have to wait a few minutes for the display to start lighting up. If that doesn't work, then your service center will need to help.

Folks I need to correct myself - it was not the 30-amp fuse, but the 20-amp fuse (yellow, in Fuse Box 2, labeled F51 in owners manual), and it is located in the top left fuse box, fourth column in from the right-hand side/edge, and closest to the windshield. This fuse F51 serves the touchscreen display. The 30-amp fuse was for another troubleshooting action the service tech was having me attempt, but it was only after focusing in on the yellow F51 fuse did the car reboot. Sorry about the confusion.:redface:

Spoke to Tesla. They still have no idea what is wrong. Was told that they are waiting for the engineers in CA. However, they did tell me it is not the 12 volt battery. The battery is good. The car is back on-line, so i assume it is "live" now. I was told that they have not seen this issue before. Thus, I think (nothing to base this on, other than a feeling), that they are examining the car very carefully to find the cause. Which is good for all other owners. But in the meantime, I miss my car. The rental they gave me is a 2013 Pasaat from Enterprise.

While I am inconvenienced by this, Tesla has been very nice. They arranged for towing, a rental car, and even that I be picked up and Taken to Enterprise. They told me when my car is ready, I can leave the rental car at the Rockville (MD) Service Center (where my car is), and they will take care of getting it back to the rental location in VA. All this is on Tesla's dime, without me even asking. Their treatment of me in this situation has been great. The only way it could be better would be if they gave me a Model S loaner. :)

If it's the 12V battery low (or even if not) then I look at what was working. Door (eventually), emergency flashers, interior lights, the trunk and the wipers worked, things you need when stuck on the road.

Folks I need to correct myself - it was not the 30-amp fuse, but the 20-amp fuse (yellow, in Fuse Box 2, labeled F51 in owners manual),....

You should edit your original post.

- - - Updated - - -

....Their treatment of me in this situation has been great. The only way it could be better would be if they gave me a Model S loaner. :)

That will be they day they have made it. :)

I was told that they have not seen this issue before. they are examining the car very carefully to find the cause. Which is good for all other owners.

correct. your inconvenience will be a big learning opportunity for the team at Tesla and will prevent others from having the same issue.

so... thanks for falling on the grenade on this one!

lets meet up when you get your car back. twins, Basel... TWINS!

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago while charging at work. I received a ChargePoint text message indicating that the cable had been unplugged, which seemed unlikely. I was also sure the car shouldn't have been fully charged, which used to trigger the same message prior to 4.2. When I went to the car to check it out I had the same symptoms: handles didn't auto-extend, but they responded to a double-press on the fob. Inside, the dash and touchscreen were unresponsive.

Tesla sent a ranger who removed the yellow jumper described elsewhere in this thread, waited a few minutes, and replaced it. I was told that there was only one similar report where the car "turtled" like this when dealing with a situation that shouldn't arise, and that it's a form of self-defence against chargers that violate specifications. Presumably later firmware updates will be designed to allow easier recovery? In any case, I'm sure I could find and remove the jumper if I needed to repeat the process.

This process compared favourably with my experience a few weeks prior after I found out our Boxster's battery was dead (it still had the original battery and hadn't been driven in a month - I suspect you can guess why!) Jump-starting a Boxster turns out to be a royal pain because you can't open the hood when it's dead, and the procedure listed in the owners manual didn't work. We wound up borrowing a device that loads the 12V system sufficiently through the "cigarette lighter" outlet to allow the hood to be released. It was interesting to compare the two experiences.

I have had that happen with the Boxster, and what a pain it is. But there is a trick: above the left front tire there is a spot in the wheel well where you can access the cable that opens the hood. It might be covered with a small plastic door, but it is fairly obvious. Grab that cable and pull down and/or twist it enough, and the hood will pop open. I think I found this originally on 986forum.com.

Geekgirls, the car was not connected to a charger, so your issue was different from mine.

Doesn't look like I will have the car this weekend. The app loses contact with the car, then sees it later, then loses it again. Last time it connected to the car, all doors, the frunk and the trunk we open, and the interior temperature was indicated to be 74 degrees. At this moment, I lost contact with the car.

Kinddog, happy to meet when this is behind me.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got off the phone with the srvice center. Not getting the car back today. They told me the techs are in constant touch with the engineers in CA trying to figure out the problem. Apparently the car has "gone to sleep" on its own several times while at the service center, and then "woke up" on its own. Diagnostics indicates an error code, but they have not been able to ascertain if there is a crimped or broken wire, a loose connection, or a software bug. The techs are checking every wire and connection on the car. I cringe imaging the whole interior is removed to gain access to all the wiring, and hope that is not the case.

I need to be patient. I know Tesla is doing what they can. I just so wanted to drive the car this weekend. On the bright side, if I can't drive it, I don't risk getting stopped by the MD/VA police for not having a cardboard temporary license, or risk getting a speeding ticket.

Geekgirls, the car was not connected to a charger, so your issue was different from mine.

Doesn't look like I will have the car this weekend. The app loses contact with the car, then sees it later, then loses it again. Last time it connected to the car, all doors, the frunk and the trunk we open, and the interior temperature was indicated to be 74 degrees. At this moment, I lost contact with the car.

Kinddog, happy to meet when this is behind me.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got off the phone with the srvice center. Not getting the car back today. They told me the techs are in constant touch with the engineers in CA trying to figure out the problem. Apparently the car has "gone to sleep" on its own several times while at the service center, and then "woke up" on its own. Diagnostics indicates an error code, but they have not been able to ascertain if there is a crimped or broken wire, a loose connection, or a software bug. The techs are checking every wire and connection on the car. I cringe imaging the whole interior is removed to gain access to all the wiring, and hope that is not the case.

I need to be patient. I know Tesla is doing what they can. I just so wanted to drive the car this weekend. On the bright side, if I can't drive it, I don't risk getting stopped by the MD/VA police for not having a cardboard temporary license, or risk getting a speeding ticket.

FYI mobile connectivity is down right now for everyone. They must be updating the backend server infrastructure for the upcoming 4.3 update. So that connectivity to your car is not an issue.