Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from BMW Convertible to MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm making the move from a BMW convertible (330Ci) to a MS100D with the all glass roof.

Basically, giving up the drop-top for all things "Tesla" and curious to hear from others whom have made similar choice.

The 330 is my daily driver; 4-seasons as I have the removable hardtop and winter tires. Our "other" car is a Lexus RX350 with a sun roof and while the roof provides venting and a bit of "fresh air", it is closed 95% of the time, which is why I didn't concern myself with the Tesla sun roof.

If you have made a similar transition, I would be most interested in post-transition feelings, regrets, etc.

Thanks

I had two consecutive BMW M-3 convertibles, and loved them both. Our Tesla S 100D (and for that matter our S 75) is superior in acceleration, comfort, safety and even handling. The BMW rag top has the advantage in the spring and the fall when it is 75 degrees and sunny, although I find the Sun Roof on the Tesla to be a close and more convenient second.

Love convertibles! I've owned a
1996 Saab 900 convertible
2003 BMW 325ici convertible
2005 BMW M3 convertible
2012 BMW 335is convertible

Then, I made the mistake of test-driving a Tesla.
Yes, the open air feeling is nice, but every time I got in my BMW, it felt like a slow, noisy donkey.
No amount of open air could make up for that.

Now, I'm on my second Tesla, and no looking back. You won't regret it!

IMG_0242.JPG IMG_0128.jpg IMG_1728.JPG DSC00483.JPG

Came from a 3-series to a P85. I'll never go back.

I tell my BMW "friends" that ask why this:
"Driving the Tesla is like driving a bullet, all day, every day. The BMW just doesn't have that."

Yes, I walk around with "EV Grin" on my face all the time.

I had a BMW M Roadster convertible and a Lexus RX400h Hybrid. Got rid of both and bought an X.

No regrets, but there's nothing like driving down the highway on a sunny day with the top down and the sun on your face. Nothing.

My husband & I are both sports car (and in my case, sportsbike) enthusiasts. Over the past ~15 years, we've had more than a dozen Mazda Miatas, 3 Porsche Boxsters, a Mercedes SLK, 2 Mercedes SLs, several Honda del Sols, VW Cabriolet and Cabrios, VW EOS, numerous BMW 3-Series convertibles, multiple BMW Z3s and a BMW Z4. At present, we have a BMW 3-Series convertible, a 2014 Porsche Boxster and our Tesla Model X. While I occasionally may miss having a convertible as my daily driver (I am the primary driver of our Model X and drive it daily for work), the Model X more than makes up for it in performance (it is the fastest car we've ever owned and handles like a Miata) as well as comfort and convenience (I drive from San Diego to Los Angeles all the time and the Autopilot is a god's send).

I am definitely eyeing the future release of the Roadster 4.0 as our next Tesla for sure.

Andrew