Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

System restart while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happens to the best of us.
On 2019.8.5 - today it happened while on Auto Pilot going 65 plus mph on interstate, 2 car length behind another, #2 lane right side of I-15. My reflex had me flip the right stalk to as if I cancel AP, then flip the turn signal and was ready to pull over to the right shoulder....but the car was "drivable" and the computer rebooted up after few seconds. I kept driving for another 50 miles, no issues.

• Funny
Reactions: SergeyUser
And it happened again for me, just 140 miles after previous crash. This time it started with a garbled image on the backup camera screen. The system restarted, but it appears it was unable to restart correctly on the very first attempt. It was displaying Tesla logo for a couple of mins, then went back to completely dark screen (I assume it restarted again), then Tesla logo again, and then it started working normally.

I did nothing to trigger the second restart. The car remained drivable (but I stopped of course to wait until it recovered). I guess the 2019.12 I currently have is quite unstable.

And, according to TeslaFi, Tesla keeps pushing this update to more and more cars... I would not recommend installing it.

Do you use Navigate on AP at all? The reboots seem to be largely linked to that.

Although not clear what percentage of vehicles are seeing them, and what the differences or exact triggers might be. Just that it appears to be a lot more common in the patches 2019.8.3 and forward. I've been trying out NoAP a fair amount and I've only seen the one reboot over the last couple weeks, and had only one other one happen a few months ago.

Reactions: JeffK
We were driving home last night on our M3 LR RWD running 2019.8.5 when the screen began flickering wildly, then it rebooted while driving. After the reboot I could see parts of the map flickering. In addition, the text that displays the title of the song being played on the streaming app would alternate between being legible and being garbled, like looking at some Greek lettering or other illegible characters.

The screen rebooted a second time as we pulled into the garage. After the second reboot the car did not correctly identify us reaching our destination and continued giving us directions. And some of the icons were only displaying about half their pixels.

I know random reboots can be related to buggy software, but the screen flickering and garbled text in random locations even after a reboot seems like it may be a bad screen or control unit. Has anyone else experienced this?

We were driving home last night on our M3 LR RWD running 2019.8.5 when the screen began flickering wildly, then it rebooted while driving. After the reboot I could see parts of the map flickering. In addition, the text that displays the title of the song being played on the streaming app would alternate between being legible and being garbled, like looking at some Greek lettering or other illegible characters.

The screen rebooted a second time as we pulled into the garage. After the second reboot the car did not correctly identify us reaching our destination and continued giving us directions. And some of the icons were only displaying about half their pixels.

I know random reboots can be related to buggy software, but the screen flickering and garbled text in random locations even after a reboot seems like it may be a bad screen or control unit. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have seen similar garbled stuff and flickering. This is likely related how video drivers react to the crash/reboot situation, which is normal. I can imagine this can also be caused by some form of memory corruption, the same as with regular computers. But in these cases you will see these reboots more frequently on other firmware versions. In that case, it would be a cause for concern, I guees.

And it happened to me on Sunday, April 14th while on the 405. Just randomly the screen went black. Rebooted and the screen/system came back on in a matter of seconds. No impact at all on driving - even AP continued to work. On version 2019.8.5.