Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'System safeguards' lacking in Tesla crash on autopilot: NTSB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
'System safeguards' lacking in Tesla crash on autopilot: NTSB

The limits on the autonomous driving system include factors such as Tesla being unable to ensure driver attention even when the car is traveling at high speeds, ensuring Autopilot is used only on certain roads and monitoring driver engagement, NTSB said.

I am guessing this explains the interior camera on the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Not sure it does since it's not part of AP2.5 on the S and X, is it? I thought we assumed the camera was for the Tesla Network. Unless there's a camera in the rear view mirror and not as obvious as the 3's mirror, not sure why they would add it to one model of car for this issue.

Wasn't the wheel nag increased after this incident, in any case? Analyzing a crash many months after the fact and when steps were taken immediately to correct issues is a bit hard to keep straight sometimes...

Not sure it does since it's not part of AP2.5 on the S and X, is it? I thought we assumed the camera was for the Tesla Network. Unless there's a camera in the rear view mirror and not as obvious as the 3's mirror, not sure why they would add it to one model of car for this issue.

Wasn't the wheel nag increased after this incident, in any case? Analyzing a crash many months after the fact and when steps were taken immediately to correct issues is a bit hard to keep straight sometimes...

Its apparently in all new cars, including the S and X. NTSB is totally right that Tesla's wheel torque nag is a poor surrogate for measuring driver engagement but I also think this should spur Tesla to release higher quality software for HW2/2.5 with far less bugs so it could be relied upon as FSD instead of marginally improving/making worse AP1 type features.

Its apparently in all new cars, including the S and X. NTSB is totally right that Tesla's wheel torque nag is a poor surrogate for measuring driver engagement but I also think this should spur Tesla to release higher quality software for HW2/2.5 with far less bugs so it could be relied upon as FSD instead of marginally improving/making worse AP1 type features.
So the camera is on the surface of the rear view mirror? Or elsewhere, like internal to the mirror? I wasn't aware we had seen pictures of it being the same on AP2.5 cars (S and X) as on the Model 3 where it's a little fisheye on the rear view (interior, of course) mirror.

I agree... I mean this is supposed to eventually be a FSD vehicle yet they now have to keep a camera on your face to make sure you are looking straight ahead and also make sure your hands are on the wheel. At that point why use AutoPilot to drive at all because if you have to drive the car while using AP you might as well just drive the car.

I'm certain the camera method is an interim step from Level 2 to Level 5. Once NTSB approves Level 5, which is likely
years and years from now, there will be no need for a camera to observe the driver because there will NOT be a driver. :)
In the meantime, based on so many reports of negligence by Tesla drivers when using AutoPilot, it makes total sense to
use the camera to monitor the driver while AP is in use.