Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T SportLine Seats Anyone???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased these? If so, how is the quality and were you able to to it yourself?

Thanks guys!

I was seriously interested in these for a while but I I think I'm going to hold off for now. I ordered the Y with the $1k white seats (before considering the aftermarket option) and asked Tsportline if the originals could be saved. The answer seemed to be that it was too much trouble for the installer, but I still thought I could pay extra for them to go slow and not just cut and rip the factory upholstery apart.

However, I then realized that part of the installation involves cutting away the heating elements from the factory seats, in order to use them in the new ones, and I think using spray glue for the latter operation. So indeed it's hard to imagine a realistic plan to save the originals unless you can avoid that issue.

I don't think Tesla sells the heating elements individually, but someone might know if they're actually standard and affordable in the aftermarket. Or failing that, you could try to get lucky in finding someone who has a cut-up or worn set removed from a parts car. But the MY is fairly new, and intact used seats are scarce and not so cheap, so I think obtaining the heaters that way is a long shot.

Regarding DIY installation, well of course anything can be done or learned if you are capable, patient and motivated. However I wouldn't underestimate the know-how, skill and time involved unless you have direct personal experience. I'm capable of a lot of DIY work, but I think that several hundred dollars is well worth it to get a professional job from an approved installer. The seat kit plus installation will add up to maybe half of what many people here are spending on PPF over the so-so Tesla paint, and IMO are a much more special mod. I like the Tsportline diamond-quilt style with the extra door treatment, and was trying to settle on which color is nicest in a blue MY.

There are other replacement upholstery options including full-custom from a local good shop. Also you're probably aware of some of the custom cover kits (Taptes and a few others) that honestly don't look bad at all, as well as being cheaper, more DIY-friendly and fully removable. Noting that the good tight ones are still a big weekend project I think.

Finally, there are somewhat less-than-reassuring claims about proper compatibility of the seat covers with the deployment of side-curtain airbags in case of an accident. That comment is also possibly applicable to the Tsportline product but i have no definite information either way. I think even if a mfr makes every good effort to provide correct break-away stitching and airbag flaps, it's a legal minefield for them to make strong safety claims regarding the outcome of future collision events.

Reactions: arch0n