Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC/AP way too slow to react to speed limits (in Germany, at least)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this has been addressed by others previously, but I'm unable to find any posts on the subject at the moment.

It's my experience (and the experience of my local Speeding Ticket Issuers) that my Model 3--while TACC/AP is engaged--doesn't react nearly as fast as it should when entering a speed limited zone. I've gotten multiple tickets as have a few fellow owners that I've run into.

Those who have driven in Germany know that it's very common for the government to set up photographic speed trips immediately behind the speed limit sign. After all, drivers are legally required to already be traveling at or below the speed shown on a speed limit sign at the time of reaching that sign. Internal documents tell the offices to use discretion and consider extenuating circumstances, but I've never once heard of anyone catching a break in this regard.

The problem: it's not until a sign is reached that my Model 3 even begins to slow down with the result that my vehicle is speeding for sometimes up to 100 meters before reaching the posted speed limit.

Suggestion: Allow the driver (using options added to the driver's profile) to set a sensitivity for how quickly or slowly the vehicle should react to speed limited areas, i.e.:

1) GRADUAL: gradually reduce speed 500m prior to the beginning of the enforced speed limit area, reaching required speed prior to entering the speed limit area.

2) ABRUPT: abruptly reduce speed 50m prior to the beginning of the speed limit area, reaching the required speed prior to entering the speed limit area.

3) BOLD: Function as it does today.

In lieu of fully adopting my suggestion, at the very minimum the current functionality should be changed to provide #1 (gradual) rather than #3 (bold).

Even if you don't share this problem, if you can understand that we have this problem here, please support the idea to Tesla. It's really a shame to not be able to trust Autosteer to get me to a destination citation-free. And it's something I've been forced to admit to colleagues that ride with me.

We need this corrected soonest. Thanks!

Experienced how this all works when I got to rent a car while in Germany last year (rental Ford Focus ST diesel, no less)... Got to drive from Berlin down to Munich, the AutoBahn is a blast!! But had to watch out for the speed limit zones. Funny, my rental actually had a 'speed limt zone aproaching' alert on the dash. Is that unique out there?