Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC Behaving Very Poorly a/o Latest Update (2019.40.2.1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was never as good as a human driver, but the latest update seems to have regressed - either that or there's actually something wrong... Now, when I engage TACC in traffic - freeway/highway or local roads - the car behaves as if it has a tremor, constantly adjusting its speed, suddenly slowing or accelerating, just generally *jittery*. It's maddening. I've stopped using TACC because of this. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior? Or should I just pull the trigger and go in for service?

December 2016 S90D

Last edited:
My experience (which I got shouted down for saying!) is similar in UK. Many roads are smaller than in California, and you often drive with just one lane of traffic in each direction. When you pass parked cars you often cross the center line and drive straight towards oncoming traffic before ducking back to your correct lane.

Also, you often have stationary cars in close proximity as well as bikes and pedestrians right along side the driving lanes.

I am noticing regular occurrence of detected objects turning red on the display, and warning messages, often accompanied by sudden braking and then acceleration.

One of my thoughts was that this glitchy, twitchy behavior could be worse or at least more obvious due to having no regen, causing the car to stamp on the friction brake for a moment.

It certainly makes me very nervous about using tacc on anything other than main freeways. Even then, the slowing for adjacent lanes can have a similar effect.

Not in an S, but my car went from 40.50.1 to 40.50.5 and the TACC/AP was dramatically better.
Much less ping ponging around in the lane and much smoother, assured feel was back again.
It does slow down when an adjacent lane is much slower, which does feel much safer than zooming along at full speed next to much slower traffic.

Twiglett what is your year? Mcu2?
Model 3 Black, 18's, PUP, EAP, FSD, Delivered 2018/05
EV driving since 2014 = Hakuna Matata

I’ll answer for him. Damn this is an old thread already. Tesla service just pushed this to me last night to see if solves a few climate control glitches. The glitches disappeared before I installed the update. Not sure if they went away on their own or if Tesla did something remotely after I talked to them. Can’t wait to test out TACC later on today.