Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tagged on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% the pickup's fault, but agree with the other posts criticizing AP for allowing the car to stay in that blind spot for so long. A defensive driver would have slowed slightly to get out of the pickup's blind spot anticipating that exact scenario, but AP will let you ride all in a blind spot all day long without trying to put you in a safer position. Prime example of why it's still up to the human driver to be aware of their surroundings and take over in an instant.
I am thinking that adjusting following distance a bit would help you get out of blind spot. What do you think? Has anyone used that much?

so riddle me this, everyone who says you cannot drive in someones blilnd spot. How do you drive in Bumper to Bumper traffic?
The way I handle it is I sit right beside other cars in slow traffic, so they see me. If I can't do that, I leave a little more space to the car in front so if someone changes lanes, they don't hit me. Fortunately, I can say I have driven 800,000 + miles without an accident, yet several situations where someone would have hit me if I were in the blind spot (especially in those big California cities). In my case, I think my observation skills come from flying. I was doing that before I ever had a driver's license. Defensive driving works :)

The way I handle it is I sit right beside other cars in slow traffic, so they see me. If I can't do that, I leave a little more space to the car in front so if someone changes lanes, they don't hit me. Fortunately, I can say I have driven 800,000 + miles without an accident, yet several situations where someone would have hit me if I were in the blind spot (especially in those big California cities). In my case, I think my observation skills come from flying. I was doing that before I ever had a driver's license. Defensive driving works :)

I look for other cars like a passenger does to any driver when using AP. It's more safe this way because it's doing the mundane lane-tracking task while I'm helping watch for other cars AND ways to escape even when there is no threat. My MC days taught me this - always have a way out handy, and what better way to do this when the car steers itself! This is a win/win.

How would he "stay out of everyones blind spot" short of just driving way slower than traffic and letting everyone pass him? (or rear end him since he's going so slow at that point)
Uh, let's not confuse "driving slow" with leaving space. I can still drive at the same speed as other cars and still leave some space to not be in anyone's blind spot. It isn't a binary decision for me. :) I don't recall anyone passing me up or almost rear-ending me because of this pattern. If they want to pass, they can. I don't care. ;) No one has been giving me the one finger salute, but maybe I just haven't been in the way of some of these TMC drivers that think this is a terrible driving method :D

Are people suggesting the truck has a blind spot even when using properly adjusted mirrors? If that’s the case OP should sue the SUV manufacturer.

No, no one is suggesting that.

The “blind spot” is defined by the California DMV driving manual as the area which is observable by using properly adjusted side mirrors. (See post above for the link.) It recommends, when teaching teenage drivers, to teach them not to sit in that location for any extended period of time.

Last edited:
A warning to accelerate would be too slow for the average person to process and react to in time, and the car accelerating by itself is a recipe for lawsuits. So, given that, I think the car did exactly what it should do in this scenario if there was no room to swerve right due to a car in the other lane.

Also, attacking the OP because they believe he/she is trying to get extra money out of insurance is not cool. Your head can be momentarily turned and talking to a passenger for a moment when you get hit and things can easily be tweaked. Also, Dashcam really doesn’t convey the full force of collisions well at all.

Anyway, carry on.

Agreed. You’re only ticketed anyway if YOU hit someone from behind. Tesla’s focus on that is understandable.

Based on disagrees, good to see there is a solid contingent of users who want AP to drive in the “blind spot.” Or perhaps it was because I exaggerated and said AP was “basically useless” due to this. I guess perhaps I should have said AP is “very annoying” due to this, and also due to the poor acceleration smoothing (it is so much smoother when I drive manually :(...my metric is to drive smoothly enough to not wake sleeping passengers with any jolts). Those are really my only major complaints. I don’t like to be jerked around by AP, which happens every time I use it. I’m sure it will improve, I know I am not the only one!

Anyway, driving in blind spots is an interesting driving strategy. To each their own I guess.

Reactions: Magnets!
Based on disagrees, good to see there is a solid contingent of users who want AP to drive in the “blind spot.” Or perhaps it was because I exaggerated and said AP was “basically useless” due to this. I guess perhaps I should have said AP is “very annoying” due to this, and also due to the poor acceleration smoothing (it is so much smoother when I drive manually :(...my metric is to drive smoothly enough to not wake sleeping passengers with any jolts). Those are really my only major complaints. I don’t like to be jerked around by AP, which happens every time I use it. I’m sure it will improve, I know I am not the only one!

Anyway, driving in blind spots is an interesting driving strategy. To each their own I guess.
Most of the time it's not exactly avoidable to be in someone's blind spot. Especially in CA. How are you going to avoid being in someone's blind spot in stop and go traffic?