Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

My adapters are 3 pin to 4 pin which I have installed in my model 3. That's besides the point.

Is the software primarily to allow the usage of the rear fogs which we never got in the US?

No. Like I said already, North American cars are programmed to use the turn signal wire as both brake and turn signal. The 4th pin is ignored and not connected to anything on the North American tail lamp.

There is no way to make the car stop sending a brake lamp signal to the turn signal wire without changing the software configuration or using an adapter that prevents the turn signal from lighting up with the brake.

North American:
-ground
-running light
-turn signal AND brake
-brake only (ignored/not used/not connected)

Global (both old style and Model Y style):
-ground
-running light
-turn signal only
-brake only

No. Like I said already, North American cars are programmed to use the turn signal wire as both brake and turn signal. The 4th pin is ignored and not connected to anything on the North American tail lamp.

There is no way to make the car stop sending a brake lamp signal to the turn signal wire without changing the software configuration or using an adapter that prevents the turn signal from lighting up with the brake.

North American:
-ground
-running light
-turn signal AND brake
-brake only (ignored/not used/not connected)

Global (both old style and Model Y style):
-ground
-running light
-turn signal only
-brake only
Do you know if there a signal sent to the brake only output for the North American wiring? Even though it's not connected to anything. I guess I could test it.

My 2020 model Y doesn't work with the adapters (or even with aftermarket tail lights) due to hyperflashing issues. I'm wondering if I take the turn signal from the side repeaters (with proper resistors to handle light out errors), and the brake signal from the third brake light, or if I can use the brake only wire from the car harness.

I could test it, and this is more work than it's worth. But I'm curious.

I had a set of alpharex tail lights that didn't work with my car due to hyper flashing and fault errors.

Do you know if there a signal sent to the brake only output for the North American wiring? Even though it's not connected to anything. I guess I could test it.

My 2020 model Y doesn't work with the adapters (or even with aftermarket tail lights) due to hyperflashing issues. I'm wondering if I take the turn signal from the side repeaters (with proper resistors to handle light out errors), and the brake signal from the third brake light, or if I can use the brake only wire from the car harness.

I could test it, and this is more work than it's worth. But I'm curious.

I had a set of alpharex tail lights that didn't work with my car due to hyper flashing and fault errors.
Yes, the unused 4th pin for the brake light is still powered (at least for now unless Tesla changes it with an update for some reason).

Reactions: RocDeef
sorry for poor quality images
i could not take pictures from back of my M3 since i was alone
and my phone is the key

i just installed MY tail lights on M3
1st image : tail light
2nd image : turn signal
3rd image : brake light

outer brake light is independent
amber signal light is combined with brake light

i will post another better image after coding

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 9.56.47 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 10.07.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 9.59.28 PM.png

sorry for poor quality images
i could not take pictures from back of my M3 since i was alone
and my phone is the key

i just installed MY tail lights on M3
1st image : tail light
2nd image : turn signal
3rd image : brake light

outer brake light is independent
amber signal light is combined with brake light

i will post another better image after coding

View attachment 911017
View attachment 911024
View attachment 911020
How are you doing the coding?

Watching this thread... My original tailight is starting to fail on my 2018 M3 and I am out of warranty. Not only am I getting condesation but part of the C-light is off. Maybe that's due to the condesation. I much prefer the ambler lights on the MY so looking to upgrade.

Watching this thread... My original tailight is starting to fail on my 2018 M3 and I am out of warranty. Not only am I getting condesation but part of the C-light is off. Maybe that's due to the condesation. I much prefer the ambler lights on the MY so looking to upgrade.
Sigh, I literally just had to order one off eBay and replace mine because it failed due to the same.. and had to get the original and not an amber because these adapters are scarce atm :(

Good luck. They're pretty cheap if you wind up biting the bullet.

Reactions: gonzo238
Sigh, I literally just had to order one off eBay and replace mine because it failed due to the same.. and had to get the original and not an amber because these adapters are scarce atm :(

Good luck. They're pretty cheap if you wind up biting the bullet.
I’m assuming everyone’s buying used amber taillights? How has the quality been? I saw many with cosmetic damages which I’d rather not swap to

Reactions: DocHolliday
I’m assuming everyone’s buying used amber taillights? How has the quality been? I saw many with cosmetic damages which I’d rather not swap to
clean ones you can find for between $200-250 fi your take time and search
you would need special cable to separate brake and turn signal apart
or you need someone with service accessibility in order to code tail light to global
which I took this route
for coding it is kind of pricy but i would say it is worthy under $500 in total cost me to have tail light with amber turn signal

again sorry for poor quality of pictures, I have to take them by myself
1. parking light on
2. brake light on
3. brake + turn signal (it seems red in picture nut it is amber)

taillight.png
brake.png
brake_turn.png

clean ones you can find for between $200-250 fi your take time and search
you would need special cable to separate brake and turn signal apart
or you need someone with service accessibility in order to code tail light to global
which I took this route
for coding it is kind of pricy but i would say it is worthy under $500 in total cost me to have tail light with amber turn signal

again sorry for poor quality of pictures, I have to take them by myself
1. parking light on
2. brake light on
3. brake + turn signal (it seems red in picture nut it is amber)

View attachment 912374View attachment 912375View attachment 912376
"or you need someone with service accessibility in order to code tail light to global"
Is this something you did at the service center?

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
Just saw a brand new M3SR with MY-like tail lights. Brakes use outer red and turn signal was amber. I wonder if Tesla has switched to this style. Also wonder if it will be a plug and play if one wanted to upgrade to these.
20230321_144341.jpg
Bad photo due to weather

Just saw a brand new M3SR with MY-like tail lights. Brakes use outer red and turn signal was amber. I wonder if Tesla has switched to this style. Also wonder if it will be a plug and play if one wanted to upgrade to these.View attachment 919950 Bad photo due to weather
They started with 2023 Model 3 Performance so not surprised they would extend it to all variants to streamline parts.

It will not be plug and play. It’s the exact same light unit as the Model Y so you have the same programming issue as being discussed in this thread for installing Model Y lights.