Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take delivery now or wait till beginning of June?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a LR RWD White/White with 18" aero wheels on 5/16. I got a delivery date of 5/29. A friend is advising me to wait to take delivery until after June 1st to see if Tesla will be rolling out any price adjustments or incentives to help them make their Q2 numbers. Due to my work schedule I wouldn't be able to take delivery until June 3rd if I pass on the 5/29 date. What do you guys think?

I kind of doubt this is going to happen. They just went up $400 and I don't think they need to push sales to have a strong Q2. IMO production seems to be the limitation, not new orders. They seem to never keep inventory for long. I've been keeping a close eye on the inventory around San Diego, and they went from over 100 inventory cars to zero in less than a week in my area (which includes LA). Many people have been waiting a month or more for their M3.

Reactions: dwalme
I agree, I don't think there will be any price adjustments in Q2. If anything, it would probably happen in Q3 to adjust for the reduced federal tax incentive.

I've also been checking the inventory and it has been getting low around the LA area, even my OA mentioned that they are having a hard time keeping up with filling orders. This is probably due to the federal tax incentive cutting in half in July so everyone is trying to get delivery by June.

If the story that came out a day or two ago about Elon's e-mail to employees is true, then Tesla is very unlikely to have any sort of price adjustment. If you didn't see the story, allegedly, Elon sent an e-mail to employees saying that Q2 is on pace to exceed Q4 2019. Keep in mind the tax incentive drops in half on July 1, so there is already a built in incentive for folks to act now.

Get the car. It seems that Tesla is running out of inventory for the end of Q2 rush. Few if any inventory cars online, fewer ships going overseas than Q1, no sign of any UK deliveries this quarter. It appears that even with Tesla prioritizing NA sales, they aren't meeting demand. The Canada incentives are having a huge impact.

Yep, my guess right now is that things are getting really busy now at Tesla since it's Summer time and people know they have to get it by the end of June for the Federal Rebate. If it were me, I wouldn't risk the possibility of missing out on $1,850 unless what you are assigned is unacceptable (super high mileage with no discount, really old build with no discount, etc).

If Tesla is competent (which I'm not completely sure of in terms of delivery), they will make sure that every "lost" Model 3 is shipped out to SOMEONE and close on as many orders as possible. I can't speak for others, but if I'm told that my M3 won't be available for pickup till after June 1st, I'm cancelling the order and will just wait a year or two until prices on used ones decrease. I don't have any state rebates, so a $1,850 rebate isn't enough for me to pay this type of dough. I need the full $3750 to justify purchasing it.

As a pilot, I travel extensively for work so it’s not uncommon for me to be out of town for 5 days at a time. Can’t believe Tesla would release the car cause I wasn’t around to accept it.

But it’s a moot point as I’m taking delivery today!

Reactions: Jazz3D
If you've already ordered and have a VIN you should also have your purchase agreement which states the price that you agreed to pay and that Tesla agreed to sell you the car for. Pushing your delivery back won't change that legally binding agreement unless Tesla also agrees to do so. And, after the memo reportedly sent out by Elon, demand is not an issue but delivery is. If that's true they'll gladly let you defer your delivery, will route your car to someone else, and probably get you one some time in early July ... after the tax credit gets halved.