Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take the Raven or Reorder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waited 4 weeks and rescheduled three times, I was excited and ready to pick up the MX. I'm not very picky and aware of the Tesla fitment quality but when my wife saw the car, she immediately said they gotta fix the door alignment and the side mirror gap. It's too obvious. However, the SC said those are within spec. The door handle on the falcon wing is 2.5 mm higher than the passenger side. There is a big gap between the chrome at the bottom of the side mirror, also 1.5mm gap and within spec. Seats were dirty inside. There were a light scratch on the door but the SC was able to use some kind of solution to remove it.
I now have a few options. Take the car, reorder another one and wait 6 more weeks, or cancel it all together because he said there is a good chance that the next car is worst. Car is brand new.

Take a look at the pics and let me know what you all think we should do. Thanks.

Attachments

• Door2.jpg
    Door2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Doors.jpg
    Doors.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Side mirror.jpg
    Side mirror.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: ReddykwRun
That vertical gap is out of specs for me and I suspect it will always be a source of irritation everytime you see it. From what I can tell it looks like it would be "metal-on-metal) at the bottom, am I correct?
I'm not exactly sure what metal on metal means but that's the door handle on the falcon wind that pops up 2.5mm. If you push it down gently, it will go in and when pushing it a little harder, the FWD opens.

Once bought a car over the phone (pre-internet) while I was still in Kodiak,AK and heading down to Pensacola, FL (military transfer) paid cash, had the car deliverd to my parents house and had one insentive for the salesman, IF the car was flawless he would receive a cooler of Halibut and King Crab. Had no problems with the car what so ever.

This looks terrible. I can’t believe they are still pumping out cars like this VIN 200,xxx. My 2016 MX Tesla bought back for multiple issues looked better. I would return ASAP. Get an inventory car, at least you can see pictures before putting deposit down.

I had a misaligned FWD like that too and the SC easily realigned it. It’s still not perfect but looks much better.

If I were you, I would give them a shot a fixing the issues BEFORE delivery. If they won’t, I’d reorder or pick an inventory car that I could inspect first.

After waited 4 weeks and rescheduled three times, I was excited and ready to pick up the MX. I'm not very picky and aware of the Tesla fitment quality but when my wife saw the car, she immediately said they gotta fix the door alignment and the side mirror gap. It's too obvious. However, the SC said those are within spec. The door handle on the falcon wing is 2.5 mm higher than the passenger side. There is a big gap between the chrome at the bottom of the side mirror, also 1.5mm gap and within spec. Seats were dirty inside. There were a light scratch on the door but the SC was able to use some kind of solution to remove it.
I now have a few options. Take the car, reorder another one and wait 6 more weeks, or cancel it all together because he said there is a good chance that the next car is worst. Car is brand new.

Take a look at the pics and let me know what you all think we should do. Thanks.
UGH, posts like this pain me as a lurking Tesla-to-be buyer/owner. Waited 4 weeks and rescheduled 3 times why?

"...However, the SC said those are within spec." How did they confirm this, eyeball or measurement tool? "...he said there is a good chance that the next car is worst." WHY?! I assume this was a scare tactic to get you to just take it and give them the sale, but what kind of SC would say something like that out loud??

UGH, posts like this pain me as a lurking Tesla-to-be buyer/owner. Waited 4 weeks and rescheduled 3 times why?

"...However, the SC said those are within spec." How did they confirm this, eyeball or measurement tool? "...he said there is a good chance that the next car is worst." WHY?! I assume this was a scare tactic to get you to just take it and give them the sale, but what kind of SC would say something like that out loud??
The 1st SC didn't even look closely and said that's within specs so I told him if Tesla is not going to fix it, then I don't want it. The manager came out and used a small ruler to measure and said 2.5mm just passed specs. Those gaps are eye sore and so obvious. I asked him to talk to his service guy. If they fix that two big items, I'll let go the others and take the car. We left without signing the paper.

1st scheduled they called 2 hours prior and said found a broken/chip on the windshield roof that need three more days to order parts and fix. One day before pick up, called and said not ready and wanted 3 more days. Two days later, called and asked if we can come down right away and it's ready for pickup.
We really wanted the car but if they're not going to fix it because it's within specs, I'll probably just cancel it altogether. Will see if they call me back today. He mentioned that every cars will have some fitment problems and mine wasn't that bad and the next one could be the same or worst. However, he was nice about it and had no problem if I decide to cancel.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
That door handle looks broken to me. It should not protrude out that far.

The picture of what appears to be the alignment between the two doors is much scarier. A larger gap at the top vs the bottom. It also looks like the bottom may be hitting each other. I would personally not accept that unless it was fixed to my satisfaction.

I too am surprised that at this point this is the quality they are delivering. While lots of people state that the early cars were all disasters, my very low 1500 VIN car has pretty good alignment with just a few of the doors differing by a mm. Only one place is it off by 2 mm. I guess my car must have been made on a Wednesday. :)

Reactions: rjdoc74
ake a look at the pics and let me know what you all think we should do. Thanks.

They can adjust the door, pretty sure. The gap on the opposite side of the door must also be out. Its definitely not right and should be addressed. It is not within spec-no way. Tell that kid to go find a job somewhere else.

The plastic trim at the bottom of the mirror is just not snapped in place or fastened properly. That looks easy. There are other things you are not seeing, you'll find later. Every car has them. These two glare out though for sure.

Either take it knowing you'll be noting these items to fix or let them have it for another customer. TO hell with the $1875 if that stopping you.

You have a choice here. You must make these items part of the sale with a list. Look harder for other things, this is your moment.

I know you’re excited, as was I when I got mine. But resist the temptation to just take it. It’s a $100,000 car and it should not look like that. I am guilty of making excuses for Tesla at times. But this is not acceptable. If you keep this car for 8 years for the life of the battery warranty, you will always hate the way those panels fit together. It will take away the joy of owning a Tesla every time you walk by those doors.

This might be might first negative posts but it appears the quality of the X has been dropping. I am not sure why but too many similar stories (here and first hand) have made me pause buying my 3 Tesla. I love my X and I think it is the best commute vehicle ever made but the quality should be almost perfect after this many vehicles/years. My X has had zero issues.

My biggest problem - there is nothing even close in my quest to find a replacement. Auto pilot, acceleration, room, range and superchargers

sad...Tesla should fix their quality issues.

Here's an idea: Ask your SC if they have any objections if you Tweet those pictures to Elon for his comment . . . .

I am as much of a fan as anyone, mostly because Elon and the team have done the impossible in changing ground-based transport to EV's, but at some point we've got to call "BS" on this sort of "within spec" standard.

This is embarrassing for everyone associated with Tesla.