Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Takes 2 Tries to Close Frunk (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I bought my car (October 2018) I noticed that it takes "2 pushes" to close my frunk.

Assume the frunk is open. I lower it so that it rests right on top of the latch. I then use 2 hands in the recommended spot and push down firmly. The frunk closes, I hear the mechanism make a noise, but it NEVER latches closed. I then push in the exact same spot a second time, and this time the frunk closes and latches.

I have never thought too much about it because it has always operated this way, and in the beginning I thought "maybe I am not pressing in the right spot" or "not pressing hard enough and in the right spot", but recently I have been paying closer attention to it and noticed that without fail, every single time, it will not latch closed on the first try (but I hear the mechanism) and it does latch closed on the second push.

Anyone else have this ? (Or does everyone have it this way?)

Thanx in advance. Helpful to get a sense of whether this is how it is supposed to operate before I consider a service call.

The electronic actuator there works VERY differently than a mechanical latch. Forgive me if this is not your issue... it was mine for a while.

I had in mind the "punchy" kind of motion at first, and it wasn't working. "Jab" also seems descriptive of how I've always been used to closing mechanical trunk/hood latches. Quick and strong, like a CPR compression, is NOT how to do it.

Ever since I started with a "firm pressure until it hooks" kind of sensation, I haven't had any trouble with my frunk latch. Try just applying firm, steadily increasing pressure, until you hear the latch make a little electric-motor sound.