Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a road trip to Yosemite this weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also note there is an electric car charger in the valley. I forget it's exact location, but it is in the parking lot behind the grocery store. There is some kind of small building in the parking lot. An orange cone blocks the spot. Simply move the cone and charge up. It worked great for us because the lot was full, but our spot was reserved

The 80A HPWC and 40A J1772 at the Ahwahnee (yes, the Ahwahnee) is free for all park visitors and is not run or owned by the hotel.
Also note there is an electric car charger in the valley. I forget it's exact location, but it is in the parking lot behind the grocery store. There is some kind of small building in the parking lot. An orange cone blocks the spot. Simply move the cone and charge up. It worked great for us because the lot was full, but our spot was reserved
That's possible. I recall getting 40A from it, but I may be manufacturing that memory. So to OP - choose the HPWC if you can and if you end up on the J1772, let us know what you draw.
I thought the j1772 at the ahwahnee was much slower, like 15A(?). HPWC is 80A and at the grocery store j1772 is 32A I think.
Thanks everyone! Our hotel has a J1772 and it is next to the Fish Camp supercharger. It is called the Tenaya Lodge. I looked on PlugShare and there are a surprising amount of chargers in the valley.
Will you be making a video? Have a safe trip!
Will definitely take pictures! I will post them in this thread.

We will be stopping at the Tejon Ranch supercharger then the Fresno Supercharger.

Do they sell chains at the SC? I could carry my MDX chains but if they force me to put them on, I can go to the local SC
I don't know if hey sell them at he service center. I wish they did. May just buy a pair of cheap chains because all roads except one is R1. If they ask to see them I'll show them the chains. If it is R3 the road will likely end up being closed soon after you check.

R3 is very unusual (generally they close the road instead of implementing R3), I think you will be fine.

There are three primary categories of chain restrictions, as shown below:

Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

Requirement 2 (R-2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.

Requirement 3 (R-3): Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

When do you return from Yosemite? There are signs of another atmospheric river event and potential for large amounts of rain/snow in Yosemite next week.

It's going to be a great winter both for skiing and for the drought.

Welcome to California, the land of four seasons: Earthquake, Fire, Flood, and Drought
Coming back on Monday.
I was there over New Year's. I had $69 chains from Walmart but didn't need to use them. The charger at the Alwahnee is 15amp, pretty slow, But the new Supercharger in Groveland is the fastest I've seen in my travels. Have a great trip!
Just bought chains from Pep Boys just in case.

R3 is very unusual (generally they close the road instead of implementing R3), I think you will be fine.

There are three primary categories of chain restrictions, as shown below:

Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

Requirement 2 (R-2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.

Requirement 3 (R-3): Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.
We should be fine. I checked the current road conditions and they should be R1. One road is R2 though. Just bought chains from Pep Boys in case we get stuck