Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the pictures it seems to be a bit thinner than the Nomad (not too surprising, given that it wasn't designed to hold a battery like the first version of the Nomad). Reasonable price too. I think I'm going to order one.

Can you say something about the fit? Does it wiggle in the bay, and is it mounted using the adhesive pads shown in one of the photos?

It does wiggle a little if you try, but doesn't seem to wiggle from simply setting or removing your phone. I haven't added the 4 rubber feet yet, but I assume that's what they are included for.

Rflail, that looks like a small USB hub you're using in the pic. How is that doing for you with the 2 thumb drives and the charger?

The hub is Sabrent 3-Port Mini USB 3.0 Rotatable Hub that has been working great. I have a separate usb drives for music and the dash-cam and now the charging pad all working fine.

I sense TapTes is a design house in HK that sends out to a manufacturing house. They offer options to put different brand names to their designs. Perhaps agreements between the Nomad and TapTes expired after a year or after X amount of units, and no agreements were signed. I would not be surprised if Tesla is using TapTes like how the cargo mats appear to be made by WeatherTech.
My little bird is pretty sure the Tesla one isn’t using the taptes design and white label it.

My Taptes charger was delivered today. I ordered the V1 matte version. Quality seems pretty good. The matte surface is slightly rubberized and I think is more than enough in terms of it's anti-slip characteristics. It's not weighted like the Nomad and I don't think it is an exact copy, but is pretty similar (I have not seen a Nomad in person). I haven't had enough time to test out the charging speed, but below are some photos. They also included a free adhesive backed holder for the Tesla key card.
Thanks for the pics. When did you order and how long did it take to get to you?

Thanks for the pics. When did you order and how long did it take to get to you?

I pre-ordered 10/25 for shipment on 11/15. It arrived 11/30.

Interesting that it's charging. Description on Amazon specifically says it won't charge devices.

It's definitely charging, but like I said I haven't been able to monitor or test what rate it's charging at. There are some other people in the amazon reviews that also have confirmed they are using it to charge with the Model 3.

The hub is Sabrent 3-Port Mini USB 3.0 Rotatable Hub that has been working great. I have a separate usb drives for music and the dash-cam and now the charging pad all working fine.
I would be very surprised if this unpowered hub or any unpowered hub or any splitter would allow fast wireless charging if you had a phone capable of doing so. An unpowered hub is no more than a splitter where power gets shared by anything plugged into it. I haven't tried this particular hub, but I have tried others that just won't fast charge my Note8 as long as there is a flash drive also plugged into it. Still, they will, at least slow charge. I believe, the only simple way to get fast charging is not to share the the power to the charging pad with any other device. . On the other hand, it might be also possible to get fast charging by using a powered hub for the charging pad via the 12 volt outlet and spare the two USB ports for flash drives. This alternative would be more difficult because of needing to route a wire from the 12 volt outlet to the powered hub under the charging pad.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if this unpowered hub or any unpowered hub or any splitter would allow fast wireless charging if you had a phone capable of doing so. An unpowered hub is no more than a splitter where power gets shared by anything plugged into it. I haven't tried this particular hub, but I have tried others that just won't fast charge my Note8 as long as there is a flash drive also plugged into it. Still, they will, at least slow charge. I believe, the only simple way to get fast charging is not to share the the power to the charging pad with any other device. . On the other hand, it might be also possible to get fast charging by using a powered hub for the charging pad via the 12 volt outlet and spare the two USB ports for flash drives. This alternative would be more difficult because of needing to route a wire from the 12 volt outlet to the powered hub under the charging pad.
I should probably add that Fast wireless charging is, at best, only 1.4 times as fast as regular wireless charging, which is half as fast as wired charging. I think if you are topping off your phone while on a long trip, charging rate shouldn't matter. However, if you forgot to charge your phone last night, you might appreciate fast charging on the short trip to work in the morning. In that event, instead of wirelessly charging, you could then connect your phone to one of the USB ports in the the back seat area.

Last edited:
The Anker USB hub has been working great with dash cam and charging

Attachments

• 5F4EE997-06B6-4AA4-A9C1-83EEDFE0A08E.jpeg
    5F4EE997-06B6-4AA4-A9C1-83EEDFE0A08E.jpeg
    746.6 KB · Views: 199
Try turning your phone upside down when placing it on the charging pad. It should work.

I had the same thought, tried it, and still didn't charge. To make sure the thing even worked, I turned the phone sideways and moved it around until it hit the spot. That was about an inch up until it charged. It's not Nomad's fault. The phone I have doesn't like to play nice with other chargers too (common issue). The phone is a Razer Phone 2. Probably my fault as well because I didn't buy an Apple or Samsung phone! Ha!