Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what's in my 12V port so I can charge whatever I need to in a hurry. If I need PD or QC3 because wireless charging doesn't apply or is too slow this is my backup. I just noticed today they do state PowerIQ 2.0 is compatible with QC 3.0. That statement is in the second photo.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WYF9HP
I was considering to get this exact adapter to be able to fast charge my iPhone from USB-C if I'm in a hurry (or even top up my USB-C laptop), but it looks like it sticks out of the port quite a bit. Don't the plugs collide with the tray in the rear compartment?

More testing and happy to report with out needing any modifications the taptes wireless pad is within .1 amps of the Tesla USB port and lightening cable.

Taptes plugged into Tesla usb:

iPhone X 16% 1.07amp

iPhone cable plugged into usb:

iPhone X 16% 1.13amp

Android users might benefit from more power but I’m not even use what the max wireless charging speed my iPhone X and xr can do

Reactions: Eno Deb
I was considering to get this exact adapter to be able to fast charge my iPhone from USB-C if I'm in a hurry (or even top up my USB-C laptop), but it looks like it sticks out of the port quite a bit. Don't the plugs collide with the tray in the rear compartment?
There is no way to plug anything into it with the tray in place. Right angle cables "may" work. Since that's the case I see no reason to keep the plug in unless it's needed. Do you want me to buy a right angle cable and try it? I need to stock up on some more cables so I don't mind.

I just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ61PRW I'm going to plug it into my Taptes pad when both the Taptes pad and this pack arrives. This 26800 pack charges in 4.5 hours using USB-PD. It's not cheap but I'll have a pack on the go as well if I ever need it. We have 4 iphones, 2 ipods and 2 ipads and wireless headphones galore in our family and the kids are always arguing over chargers. Note: this will not charge and supply power at the same time. I gave up on that today.

There is no way to plug anything into it with the tray in place. Right angle cables "may" work. Since that's the case I see no reason to keep the plug in unless it's needed. Do you want me to buy a right angle cable and try it? I need to stock up on some more cables so I don't mind.
There is currently only one USB-C/Lightning cable available (from Apple) and it doesn't have an angled plug, so this is not a solution for me.

I may give the adapter linked by @gilscales above a try.

There is currently only one USB-C/Lightning cable available (from Apple) and it doesn't have an angled plug, so this is not a solution for me.

I may give the adapter linked by @gilscales above a try.
Probably a better choice if it's good. I'm sure that would work with Apple's cable space wise. Let me know how it goes.

Looks like there is room for it to me
The tray will go in but you are really bending the cable so I don't consider that acceptable especially if you are pulling higher wattage through it.

The issue if you need more voltage frm the usb to to wireless pad.

When I give the pad 9v the amps increase. 5v usb all seem to do 1-1.1amps

I don’t think we will see any improvement from using a battery bank unless the USB ports are able to product more than 5v

The issue if you need more voltage frm the usb to to wireless pad.

When I give the pad 9v the amps increase. 5v usb all seem to do 1-1.1amps

I don’t think we will see any improvement from using a battery bank unless the USB ports are able to product more than 5v
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought if the battery bank is capable then it would charge at the higher voltage/rate from the battery reserve even if the battery can only charge at 5V, but I am only guessing so if someone knows for sure then please chime in.

I found this one that claims 5V, 9V and 12V output while only listing 5V 2A input, and it has Panasonic cells with pass thru charging
https://www.amazon.com/CONNSON-16000mAh-External-Battery-Portable/dp/B01CBSYWIO
Just noticed the negative reviews but maybe there are some out there that work as promised

Last edited:
I received my Taptes wireless charger.

Everything installed well, however I do have a question for those who installed theirs.

I have found that my wireless charger "goes to sleep" if nothing is sitting on the wireless pad for a while. However if I get in the car and step on the brake then both amber lights flash...and I can start charging my phone then...and it will continue to charge until my phone is fully charged.

The problem comes when I'm driving for about 20 min and then place my phone on the charger....nothing.....

I have to raise up the charging pad and press the little button on the taptes battery to wake it up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Everything installed well, however I do have a question for those who installed theirs.

I have found that my wireless charger "goes to sleep" if nothing is sitting on the wireless pad for a while. However if I get in the car and step on the brake then both amber lights flash...and I can start charging my phone then...and it will continue to charge until my phone is fully charged.

The problem comes when I'm driving for about 20 min and then place my phone on the charger....nothing.....

I have to raise up the charging pad and press the little button on the taptes battery to wake it up.

Well thats not good!, I ordered mine with the external battery as well, might have to try a different pass thru battery

Reactions: Garlan Garner

I didn’t want the battery so I received version 1. Can the battery be disconnected?

I've been looking at the diagrams in the Tesla parts catalog and it looks like you can drill through the area under the cup holders. Perhaps next summer I'll tear the console apart and check it out.

I have a few Anker devices and I wondered what Anker was doing with the 18 watt PowerIQ 2.0.

You can run a USB to the rear cigarette lighter, this video shows how. No drilling involved.