Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can run a USB to the rear cigarette lighter, this video shows how. No drilling involved.
Has anybody tried the RPM Tesla wireless setup? The wires that come with each of the charging pucks is thin enough to hide under the molding and long enough to reach the 15 volt outlet. They are promising 10 watts to each puck which would give enough power for my Note8 to fast wirelessly charge. One advantage of this setup is you can exactly position the pucks in an optimum spot for charging should your phone be particular. My only concern is whether the thin foam pad they provide to put over the pucks will hold the phone in place well enough.

Has anybody tried the RPM Tesla wireless setup? The wires that come with each of the charging pucks is thin enough to hide under the molding and long enough to reach the 15 volt outlet. They are promising 10 watts to each puck which would give enough power for my Note8 to fast wirelessly charge. One advantage of this setup is you can exactly position the pucks in an optimum spot for charging should your phone be particular. My only concern is whether the thin foam pad they provide to put over the pucks will hold the phone in place well enough.
I have those pucks and my phone stays in place decently. If I'm making a sharp turn the phone will slide off. But for the most part it stays on pretty well.

I have those pucks and my phone stays in place decently. If I'm making a sharp turn the phone will slide off. But for the most part it stays on pretty well.
Thanks for responding. I have a Nomad ordered, but will cancel the order unless I hear that it can be powered from a powered hub in the cigarette lighter outle, like the RPM can. .While Nomad claims each front USB port can deliver7.5 watts, that's only without using splitters that would be sharing with flash drives. If sharing with fast drives you will get about half as much power and much slower charging. Furthermore, for a Note8, which I own, to get true fast wireless charging, each coil would need 10 watts, which could only be delivered via hub powered by the the lighter outlet. If done that way, I would still have the cars original front ports empty and available for flash drives or direct fast wired charging. Another worry I have with the Nomad, is their warning that a cased Note8 might not fit the charging pad. The RPM pad doesn't have an elevated ridge across it; so there should be more room for a tall phone.

Thanks for responding. I have a Nomad ordered, but will cancel the order unless I hear that it can be powered from a powered hub in the cigarette lighter outle, like the RPM can.

I'm confused,....I understand most USB splitters don't pass on power to multiple ports in a hub, but RPM isn't using a USB splitter, rather it's a splitter on a 12V source. Couldn't you just run two USB cables from that spot along the console back to where the Nomad would sit, exactly as he explains in the movie, and plug your Nomad into this USB female ends. That would work, right? I'm thinking to do this also.

OK, this is getting REAL confusing REAL fast!

if someone has a taptes version 1 (no batt) and
connects the 2 USB’s into front model 3 ports,
how fast or slow is wireless charging?

then, if someone passes 1 of the taptes USB’s
thru a USB splitter, say sabrent linked here earlier,

I’m awaiting fulfillment and am hoping the rate
of charge is worth the cost of the squeeze!

I’m using 2 individual sabrent splitters, music +
charge cable on one FRONT USB, dash cam +
charge cable on the other front USB.

I’m really thinking to power my Nomad both sides directly from the cigarette lighter as described in the video above, looks very easy and clean, with higher output. I’ll keep the USB’s open for other stuff....one for dash cam, the other for whatever.

I'm confused,....I understand most USB splitters don't pass on power to multiple ports in a hub, but RPM isn't using a USB splitter, rather it's a splitter on a 12V source. Couldn't you just run two USB cables from that spot along the console back to where the Nomad would sit, exactly as he explains in the movie, and plug your Nomad into this USB female ends. That would work, right? I'm thinking to do this also.
I would hope so, but you would have to extend the short power leads of the Nomad to reach the lighter socket powered hub. Those extensions would need ro be thin enough to hide along the console. I just reached out Nomad about doing this. I expect it might take a while to get their answer.

I have taped right underneath the USB ports, but I guess I could have just taped it underneath the phone tray instead. I'll probably do that once my pad gets here.
Because this hub is located in the front by the USB ports, the power wire to it must have been routed to it from the lighter outlet. Did you do that behind the console molding like in the RPM video? If so, was the adapter's power wire thin enough to easily hide?

Because this hub is located in the front by the USB ports, the power wire to it must have been routed to it from the lighter outlet. Did you do that behind the console molding like in the RPM video? If so, was the adapter's power wire thin enough to easily hide?

I did, but I cut the wire and solder it back together to make it easier to get through the trim. I just cut off some of the console on the upper right side to drop the cable back into the cubby. Wanted to drill hole toward the bottom, but figured it would be easier just to replace the felt cubby in the future if I wanted to. So far no issues having my dashcam, hotspot and phone charger plugged into it for the last two months or so.

OK, this is getting REAL confusing REAL fast!

if someone has a taptes version 1 (no batt) and
connects the 2 USB’s into front model 3 ports,

then, if someone passes 1 of the taptes USB’s
thru a USB splitter, say sabrent linked here earlier,

I’m awaiting fulfillment and am hoping the rate
of charge is worth the cost of the squeeze!

I’m using 2 individual sabrent splitters, music +
charge cable on one FRONT USB, dash cam +
charge cable on the other front USB.

Taptes plugged into both USB ports of Model 3
5v ~1-1.1amps both sides

Taptes plugged into usb splitter with usb for tesla cam
5v 1-1.1amps both sides

Taptes plugging into a regular battery banks (5v/3amp) usb
5v 1-1.1amps

It seems the only way we will get more port out of the taptes wireless is u throw 9-12v to it, or try a QC3.0 usb port which i dont have access to.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ludatik
Taptes plugged into both USB ports of Model 3
5v ~1-1.1amps both sides

Taptes plugged into usb splitter with usb for tesla cam
5v 1-1.1amps both sides

Taptes plugging into a regular battery banks (5v/3amp) usb
5v 1-1.1amps

It seems the only way we will get more port out of the taptes wireless is u throw 9-12v to it, or try a QC3.0 usb port which i dont have access to.

forgive my ignorance, but 5v 1-1.1 amps
is ~half charging rate of phone plugged
directly to lightning cable provided by tesla?

My Taptes charger was delivered today. I ordered the V1 matte version. Quality seems pretty good. The matte surface is slightly rubberized and I think is more than enough in terms of it's anti-slip characteristics. It's not weighted like the Nomad and I don't think it is an exact copy, but is pretty similar (I have not seen a Nomad in person). I haven't had enough time to test out the charging speed, but below are some photos. They also included a free adhesive backed holder for the Tesla key card.

can you close the lid flush with the pad? with or without phone?

My plan is to just settle with ~5W wireless charging. It is plenty sufficient for everyday top-up.

I keep a 12V USB-C PD charger in the car for when I need emergency fast charging; up to 18W for my iPhone. It can also provide up to 30W for my MacBook (or any other USB-C product) if needed.