Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tasmanian Fast / Ultra Fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don’t like seeing those charge cables scraping along the ground though 🤦‍♂️
Their finished RT50 installs have cable management built into the bollards!

1687741593678.png
1687741513256.png

Somewhat concerning that the EHT socials person or those liking the post don't understand the difference between a per minute session fee, and an idle fee.

Screenshot_20230706-151441.png

One is charged while you are charging (in addition to per kWh fee).

The other only kicks in after your session ends (typically by hitting 100% or some limit set in car or at charger) and you fail to

Reactions: Candleflame
Somewhat concerning that the EHT socials person or those liking the post don't understand the difference between a per minute session fee, and an idle fee.

View attachment 953641

The other only kicks in after your session ends (typically by hitting 100% or some limit set in car or at charger) and you fail to
They can serve a similar purpose, the time fee as they term it. I think the main purpose of the time fee is still to discourage keeping it plugged in after charge, it is just harder to adjust to provide enough of a deterrent to leaving it plugged in after the charge completes. The time fee will encourage some not to continue parking there past their charge, but depending on the rate some may just consider it a cost of parking.

In order for idle fees to be effective, they have to be relatively high. $1/minute after a 15 minute grade period is appropriate for a DC Fast Charger.

I think a 15 minute grace period is too long… if you are in a queue waiting for a charge those 15 minutes would seem like an eternity.

It is not too much to ask of drivers to not wander too far from their car, and be able to return to it to unplug promptly once they are notified their session is finished. Or be keeping an eye on the charging in their App and start walking back when it is getting close to finished.

5 minutes is enough time. Tesla has it about right.

View attachment 953641

It seems 100% clear? They didn't say they have the same thing; they said they have a time fee for the same reason. It serves the same purpose, except having a time fee is a "phased in" idle fee. If you really need that 100% charge, sure you can do it, but it encourages you to disconnected earlier if you don't really need it.

Reactions: RichardV
No new site activations, but some snippets of news...

Glebe Hill Village (At Howrah, east of Hobart) looks like they've been approached by Evie as one of the Future Fuels sites. They shared this render on FB, asking for feedback:

1689403819872.png

Electrona, who installed the Bicheno site earlier this year, have approached Central Highlands Council about two sites in their area - Bothwell and Hamilton. (Council documents, attachment with renders)

Bothwell render (1 of 3 possible locations):

1689404192555.png

Hamilton render:

1689404222190.png

Looks like the same hardware as Bicheno, which is a CirControl with AC Type 2 and DC 50 kW with dual cables.

Their provided documentation to the council suggest installation would be 12-24 months away, and interestingly they "hope to secure Commonwealth funding" for these although I'm not aware of any funding opportunities currently announced.

As usual, an "I have no idea where these places are" locator map!

1689405780484.png

This email came from Chargefox "on behalf of EHT" - not sure if everyone got it or just people who have usage history of EHT locations on their account.

On behalf of Electric Highway Tasmania (EHT) we're getting in touch to let you know about an update to pricing for their electric vehicle charging stations across Tasmania.

From Monday the 8th of April 2024 Electric Highway Tasmania will introduce the following price changes:

Simple per kilowatt hour pricing.
Previously the price charged by EHT was a combination of a per kilowatt hour fee in addition to a cost per minute.

This new pricing is simpler and aligns with how EV charging is priced across the country.

Idle fees.
An ‘idle fee’ is a price charged when a vehicle completes charging but remains connected to the charger.

EHT will charge an idle fee of $0.50 per minute on all DC chargers. This fee is applicable after a vehicle’s battery is charged to 100% and a 10 minute ‘grace period’ has elapsed.

Idle fees have been proven to address a key frustration for EV drivers - arriving at a charger only to find it is occupied by a vehicle that is fully charged and the driver is absent.

Idle fees are applicable to all drivers and are not covered by any existing subscriptions or discounts.

The prices range from 50-75c/kWh depending on the speed.

Idle fee is less than the $1/min used elsewhere, but the basic principle is the same. Good to see that those with vehicles that included "free" Chargefox access are not immune from the idle fees.

On chatting to the EHT guys over the past couple of weeks, this change is partially due to the fact that, with an increasing number of Kempower sites that share power, someone else plugging in can cause your speed to drop, which makes a time based rate unfair.

They said it will result in slowing charging cars paying less per kWh than before, and faster charging cars paying more (or to put it another way, previously slower charging cars were disadvantaged, and faster charging cars were advantaged, and that imbalance has been removed). This made sense before since you didn't want that slow car hogging the single stall, but almost all new sites are multiple stalls and many of the existing sites which are busy are being upgraded to multiple stalls.

It should also put an end to the people complaining on Plugshare that "the charging cost is good but the parking fee is ridiculous" purely because they didn't understand how it worked.

They've got rid of the off-peak discount rates unfortunately too :(

I also notice this footer on the email which is further emphasising their move into a billing provider and not site owner.

1712536760542.png

Replying from another thread where it was off-topic:

Yes, really great... if you live on the mainland :-}

I cannot help but feel a little left out in that the number of new fast chargers available in Tasmania over the last 12 months seems to be approaching something like... zero.

I got curious and checked the rate of fast charger openings...

1713861304518.png

So it's been a bit slow but we've had longer droughts!

Installing fast chargers is a long process, and we only see the final 10% of it. There are many upcoming sites in Tassie, in various stages of development:
  • Tullah (EHT)
  • Sorell (EHT)
  • Rosny (EHT)
  • Ross (NRMA)
  • Hobart (Tesla)
  • Greater Hobart x3 locations (Evie)
  • Campbell Town (Ampol)
  • Burnie (Mood Food)
  • Deloraine (NRMA)
  • Cradle Mountain (EHT)
  • Miena (EHT)
  • Exeter (EHT)
  • Bothwell (Electrona) **
  • Hamilton (Electrona) **
  • Cambridge (Mood Food) **
Of course, these are only the ones we know about. (The ones marked ** do not have locked in plans so there is a chance they won't happen or will be a long time.)

Also, sites being expanded this year (all EHT):
  • Swansea - additional 75 kW unit (this one is happening tomorrow!)
  • Devonport - upgrade from 1 stall Tritium to 3+ stall Kempower
  • Burnie - upgrade from 1 stall Tritium to 3+ stall Kempower
  • Sandy Bay - upgrade from 2 stall Kempower to 4 stall
  • Kings Meadows - additional 75 kW unit
So I think we're about to be overrun with activity!

Last edited:
I got curious and checked the rate of fast charger openings...

View attachment 1040882

So it's been a bit slow but we've had longer droughts!

Installing fast chargers is a long process, and we only see the final 10% of it. There are many upcoming sites in Tassie, in various stages of development:
  • Tullah (EHT)
  • Sorell (EHT)
  • Rosny (EHT)
  • Ross (NRMA)
  • Hobart (Tesla)
  • Greater Hobart x3 locations (Evie)
  • Campbell Town (Ampol)
  • Burnie (Mood Food)
  • Deloraine (NRMA)
  • Cradle Mountain (EHT)
  • Miena (EHT)
  • Exeter (EHT)
  • Bothwell (Electrona) **
  • Hamilton (Electrona) **
  • Cambridge (Mood Food) **
Of course, these are only the ones we know about. (The ones marked ** do not have locked in plans so there is a chance they won't happen or will be a long time.)

Also, sites being expanded this year (all EHT):
  • Swansea - additional 75 kW unit (this one is happening tomorrow!)
  • Devonport - upgrade from 1 stall Tritium to 3+ stall Kempower
  • Burnie - upgrade from 1 stall Tritium to 3+ stall Kempower
  • Sandy Bay - upgrade from 2 stall Kempower to 4 stall
  • Kings Meadows - additional 75 kW unit
So I think we're about to be overrun with activity!
Thanks @Chuq. Happy to stand corrected :)
Out of curiosity, what was the single one added in 2024Q2? Glebe Hill in Hobart?

Yes, I do know about the *planned* installations and that EHT is working hard to get some of them in, particularly the expansions.
However, Tullah seems to be delayed by some dodgy historical power setup in the Village area (Hydro?) and others like Cradle & Miena seem to have been on hold waiting for the hosting hotel sites to decide on their expansion plans.

All of the others seem to have no timeframe at all. How long has it been since Tesla, NRMA and Ampol announced their "plans"? Even allowing for the normally lengthy implementation timeframes, there seems to be no activity at all that I know of - you may have more info.

The complaint in my original post was also based on yesterday's article in the Driven Australian EV fast charging boom: More than 930 sites now open after first quarter surge trumpeting the increase of 130 fast chargers nationally in the last year, i.e. 16%+. But nothing remotely similar here in Tassie, despite the 140% increase in EV sales here during that time - EV sales hit new record in 2023, no electric utes on horizon.

Cheers.
PS: That earlier "drought" in 2021-2022 predated my EV lifetime, so I had no knowledge of that. Thanks again for the info..

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman
Thanks @Chuq. Happy to stand corrected :)
Out of curiosity, what was the single one added in 2024Q2? Glebe Hill in Hobart?

Yes, I do know about the *planned* installations and that EHT is working hard to get some of them in, particularly the expansions.
However, Tullah seems to be delayed by some dodgy historical power setup in the Village area (Hydro?) and others like Cradle & Miena seem to have been on hold waiting for the hosting hotel sites to decide on their expansion plans.

All of the others seem to have no timeframe at all. How long has it been since Tesla, NRMA and Ampol announced their "plans"? Even allowing for the normally lengthy implementation timeframes, there seems to be no activity at all that I know of - you may have more info.

The complaint in my original post was also based on yesterday's article in the Driven Australian EV fast charging boom: More than 930 sites now open after first quarter surge trumpeting the increase of 130 fast chargers nationally in the last year, i.e. 16%+. But nothing remotely similar here in Tassie, despite the 140% increase in EV sales here during that time - EV sales hit new record in 2023, no electric utes on horizon.

Cheers.
PS: That earlier "drought" in 2021-2022 predated my EV lifetime, so I had no knowledge of that. Thanks again for the info..
The 2024 Q2 was the one at the UTas campus in Burnie, in fact I just noticed on Plugshare you have used it :)

Yeah, you are hearing from the same source as me (Clive at AEVA meetings!) Many of those were supposed to be last year :( But I do hear updates on various sites on occasion so I know things haven't stalled.

Tesla I have been aware of behind-the-scenes work occurring almost monthly, so regularly last year that I expected things to happen before the end of 2023, but (obviously!) not.
NRMA only had a "national map with 117 dots" and we didn't expect anything before 2025, but they have been working in partnership with EHT on these ones, sites have been identified and Clive is pushing them to be done before the AEVA Expo in November! But they may not make this cut off.
Ampol all we know is the DA was submitted to council in November last year and approved shortly after.

The 2024 Q2 was the one at the UTas campus in Burnie, in fact I just noticed on Plugshare you have used it :)

Yeah, you are hearing from the same source as me (Clive at AEVA meetings!) Many of those were supposed to be last year :( But I do hear updates on various sites on occasion so I know things haven't stalled.

Tesla I have been aware of behind-the-scenes work occurring almost monthly, so regularly last year that I expected things to happen before the end of 2023, but (obviously!) not.
NRMA only had a "national map with 117 dots" and we didn't expect anything before 2025, but they have been working in partnership with EHT on these ones, sites have been identified and Clive is pushing them to be done before the AEVA Expo in November! But they may not make this cut off.
Ampol all we know is the DA was submitted to council in November last year and approved shortly after.
Ah yes, The UTAS tritium was tuned on recently, but at $0.80/kWh for a 50kW charger, you'd have to be desperate IMHO. I have used the AC chargers there in the past, but they weren't working the last time I tried. Not sure what amount of maintenance Exploren actually does on sites they "manage".

Good to hear that Tesla is proceeding, even if not as quickly as they've been doing on the Hume & Pacific highways :-}. I guess the NRMA sees more publicity value in the (great) new sites on the Nullarbor and in the NT. Hopefully, Clive's urging will bear fruit.

As for Ampol, BP etc, they probably make too much money selling dinosaur juice to ICE cars in Tassie to be really interested in EVs here ... or is that being too cynical?

In any case, I am looking forward to being "overrun with activity" in the near future. :)