Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I understand it, Tesla has to file with the IRS and you have to provide the proper IRS form for you to get the tax offset. I'm hoping Tesla fulfills its obligation because I'm sure I'll do my part. It's like you employer 's requirement to provide the IRS with your W-2 or your broker providing a form 1099.

Good Day,
Thanks in advance for reading my questions to answer them. I am based in New Jersey, filing Joint taxes with my spouse. Our AFI is more than 300K so will not be qualified for the 7500 tax credit. I plan to buy Model Y and here are my questions. Basically I will be the primary driver for the Car.
1. I have asked my colleague (whose AGI is less than 300k) if he could be the co owner along with me, and he is okay with it. So He and I will be the co-owners of the car. I am not sure, if in general he gets tax refund every year or not. Q: In this case, can he claim the $7500 tax credit ?
2. I plan to buy the car with cash(basically no loan). Q: Would we both still have to see each other's financials like salary ?
3. From what I have. understood, any one of us can add it to insurance, so I will be the one on the insurance.
4. For how long, do I need to keep him as a co-owner of the car ?

Thank you for your time.

Sounds like this could be a financial mess honestly. Be happy you make > $300k and you do this scheme to what, just to save $7.5k with possible legal hassles if you or your spouse were to ever get in an accident?

$$ dealings within an extended family can already be a mess and folks want to involve co-workers?

In an accident, everyone will be sued so your co-worker too even though he/she probably wouldn't be owner soon. This could also be viewed as tax fraud, but I'm not a tax attorney nor work in the IRS, but specifically structuring a deal to take advantage of a tax when one doesn't qualify seems a bit suspicious.

And you have folks who always chime in about rich folks don't care about tax credits all the time (if anything, they care tons more and will come up with any scheme to work the system...as shown in this example).

Well, we have a weekend delivery scheduled for our Model Y LR. At this point, we don't know if the Model Y LR will qualify for the tax credit. I'm slightly worried we won't know before our pickup date. Anyone heard any good rumors out there? Hopefully on 3/1 we'll get some news from Tesla...

Hello-
We just put in an order for model Y long range for delivery in April.
My question is: if the IRS rules change in March, and the Y is no longer eligible for the credit, will we still qualify? In other words, is it the rule at the time of ordering or delivery?
Thanks!

Well, we have a weekend delivery scheduled for our Model Y LR. At this point, we don't know if the Model Y LR will qualify for the tax credit. I'm slightly worried we won't know before our pickup date. Anyone heard any good rumors out there? Hopefully on 3/1 we'll get some news from Tesla...
I thought the current rule according to the IRS is that the $3750 for battery components is available for all cars if put in service prior to their proposed rules being published.The other 3750 rule (manufacture of the battery/car can't remember) is already live and Tesla should qualify) Once proposed rules are published for battery components (not final rules after comment period, but proposed) vehicles put in service will be subject to those rules, which most believe Tesla would not qualify under the rules as suggested but not proposed. So in short 7500 until the proposed rule. Likely 3750 after the proposed rule. Of course they could always punt a decision down the road as well.

I might be wrong, but that is how I read the IRS notice

Reactions: jchasman
I thought the current rule according to the IRS is that the $3750 for battery components is available for all cars if put in service prior to their proposed rules being published.The other 3750 rule (manufacture of the battery/car can't remember) is already live and Tesla should qualify) Once proposed rules are published for battery components (not final rules after comment period, but proposed) vehicles put in service will be subject to those rules, which most believe Tesla would not qualify under the rules as suggested but not proposed. So in short 7500 until the proposed rule. Likely 3750 after the proposed rule. Of course they could always punt a decision down the road as well.

I might be wrong, but that is how I read the IRS notice
Gotcha, so *if* that's correct, at some point during March, the IRS *could* publish a change which takes $3750 away from someone. Very interesting.

Gotcha, so *if* that's correct, at some point during March, the IRS *could* publish a change which takes $3750 away from someone. Very interesting.
Technically the original law said they had to release rules by Dec 31 2022. They released rules for everything else except the battery components part where they said they would very explicitly publish rules regarding this in March (1st, 31st, 17th no one knows). They will publish something, but it could be we need more time. I personally think they will publish rules on the 31st.

I searching all over the internet but not getting the answer for my question.

The question is, If my tax liability is $10,000 (line 22 on W2) for the year and I have paid it in full or little excess in my monthly pay check tax deductions, say in this case I have paid $10,500 by end of December, so I will get a refund of $500. So with the $7500 tax credit will I get $8000 back in this case ( $500 + $7500) ?

To add to cdub, yes! Well done!

refund = <taxes paid> - <liability>

The credit reduces your liability. If it reduces liability by 7,500, refund goes up by 7,500.

(It is a confusingly-named "non-refundable tax credit". It is included in 1040 Line 20. That is subtracted when calculating Line 22.
As the form says Line 22 cannot be less than 0. That's why some people cannot benefit by the whole 7,500.)

Reactions: cdub and Arao